Can doing just 40-50 crunches each day produce decent results?

Enigma412

Don Juan
Reaction score
Or do you have to go for a "full" fitness program? I don't have much free time and would take reduced returns for saved time. I don't want a 6 pack but merely want to eliminate the moderate gut I have had since childhood. I am considered to be fairly attractive and eliminating the gut should get me to the next level.

Reaction score
Enigma412 didn't your moma tell you look isn't everything? But it sure build a lot of confident. Bout you question bout 40 crunches everytime workin on you abs, well bad news? 40 crunches ain't gonna get you anywhere! Try 300(6 set-50reps) You should be seein results in just weeks unless you got fat round your waist!

onelife

Don Juan
Reaction score
that's a load of **** MVP¤¥¤JI€GALO.

your abdominals are a muscle group.
would you work your biceps by doing 300 reps?

if you do crunches in correct form you should really hurt after no more than 15 reps (i like to add a 5kg weight tucked under my chin which gives a nice burn)

here is a crunch done in correct form
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/RectusAbdominis/WtCrunch.html

working your abs will give you a six pack but only getting your body fat below 8% will reveal them. you cant just target certain fatty areas either. eat good and exercise properly and you will get what you want.

on a side note, why is it that people feel the need to give information about something they obviously know nothing about?
doesnt affect me because i can see though the bull**** (like many before me, i took the time to learn how to exercise properly).
When i see dudes like MVP¤¥¤JI€GALO spitting misinformation about something as potentialy dangerous as exercising it pisses me off :mad:

anyway ive had my rant, im off to take some valium.. ;)

Reaction score
if you do crunches in correct form you should really hurt after no more than 15 reps (i like to add a 5kg weight tucked under my chin which gives a nice burn)

here is a crunch done in correct form
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises...s/WtCrunch.html

working your abs will give you a six pack but only getting your body fat below 8% will reveal them. you cant just target certain fatty areas either. eat good and exercise properly and you will get what you want.

on a side note, why is it that people feel the need to give information about something they obviously know nothing about?
doesnt affect me because i can see though the bull**** (like many before me, i took the time to learn how to exercise properly).
When i see dudes like MVP¤¥¤JI€GALO spitting misinformation about something as potentialy dangerous as exercising it pisses me off

anyway ive had my rant, im off to take some valium..
DONT BE A SMARTASS!

QUOTE]Or do you have to go for a "full" fitness program? I don't have much free time and would take reduced returns for saved time. I don't want a 6 pack but merely want to eliminate the moderate gut I have had since childhood. I am considered to be fairly attractive and eliminating the gut should get me to the next level.

[/QUOTE]
theres a killer routine for your abs! http://www.skippypodar.net/Fitness/[/url]

if you do crunches in correct form you should really hurt after no more than 15 reps
what the hell you already hurtin after 15 reps? Pu*sy!

onelife

Don Juan
Reaction score
see MVP9#$%345@2, i could do 50 of the situps i assume you do bending like a hinge at the waist but when i do them properly my abs burn like a mother****er after just 10/15, just like they should ;)

S-lemond

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
M he is right! have you ever used the ab loung or nething of that matter, that forces you to use the right technique....you will be burning after 25 definately

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sixpack = diet, cardio, minimal to no ab work.

I never train abs and my sixpack is right there when there's not fat over it, they get indirectly trained with squats, deadlifts and the like.

Lose the fat, simple as.

onelife

Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's a better idea: just grab a barbell plate and do situps while holding it on your chest. Doesn't anyone have a brain here? You work other muscles with weight and low to medium reps, so abs should be worked the same way.
i like to think i do and said just as you have in my first post in this thread ;)

dentalfloss

Don Juan
Reaction score
doing ungodly amounts of reps for your abs is worthless...if 300 situps a day gave you a six pack, by the same logic chewing would give you a huge chin :rolleyes:

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by dentalfloss
doing ungodly amounts of reps for your abs is worthless...if 300 situps a day gave you a six pack, by the same logic chewing would give you a huge chin :rolleyes:
Ah, but it DOES give you a huge chin .. anyone seen the Rowntrees commercial with Big Ernie?

stevey_2000

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
no, no no!!m

you do not continually do crunches every day, it would be very bad for your muscles as they need rest to build, the best way (as i do them, and i have a v.well defined 6-pack) is to train your abs 3 times a week,

give them time to recover and build before you do another 300 daily!

and as warboy alex says, losing the fat should bring them out nicely aswell,

Ste.

Not Quite There

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by onelife
see MVP9#$%345@2, i could do 50 of the situps i assume you do bending like a hinge at the waist but when i do them properly my abs burn like a mother****er after just 10/15, just like they should ;)
sit ups are crap mate, a year ago i was doing 150 plus easy and still noticing little effect, not looks, but a burn feeling.

crunches are a different kettle of fish alltogether.

2 sets of 15 crunches 3 times a week, will work your abs better than 100 sit ups a day.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here's the deal. Go to your newsstand and buy "Men's Health: Ultimate Abs - Guide 2005". I think it's about 10 bucks, but the 200+ page book is crammed with useful info, from meal plans to workouts. Well worth the money, especially if you like having things set out for you.

However, to answer your specific question, "no". 40-50 crunches each day isn't going to produce crap. Even 300 a day isn't going to make you look much different. Read Manuva's guide linked earlier in this thread...

skumface

Don Juan
Reaction score
About half the stuff written in this thread is a load of bull. The abs are a muscle group, treat them like you would any other muscle. The abdominals are twitch mucles so you should work them the same way you work your calfs, with high reps. Try putting a 5kg, 10 pound plate, on your chest when you do your crunches. I do 20-25 crunches in 3 sets with about 30 seconds rest in between each set. You also have to remember that crunches mainly work your upper abs so you shoukd incorperate a lower abb excersise into your work. I like Leg-Hip Raise or Leg Raise
None of this 300+ situp junk!! I used to do that and no it doesnt work. Work the abs 3 times a week and you should see results in weeks.

And by the way, FAT HIDES YOUR SIX-PACK SO LOSE THOSE POUNDS!!!

Good luck!!

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
Here's the deal. Go to your newsstand and buy "Men's Health: Ultimate Abs - Guide 2005". I think it's about 10 bucks, but the 200+ page book is crammed with useful info, from meal plans to workouts. Well worth the money, especially if you like having things set out for you.

However, to answer your specific question, "no". 40-50 crunches each day isn't going to produce crap. Even 300 a day isn't going to make you look much different. Read Manuva's guide linked earlier in this thread...
Sorry mate, I've only just noticed this but I'd never touch anything endorsed in full or part by Men's Health - if you mean the magazine.

There's nothing more to a sixpack than getting the veins on your biceps to stick out for example, it's all about dropping the bodyfat and training the muscle hard so it sticks out more. Obviously thanks to male fat deposition areas the gut is the last place, generally speaking, where the fat will go from hence the abs are considered - wrongly IMO - to be the hardest muscle to show up. They're not the easiest that's for sure, but there's nothing different about getting your sixpack out than any other muscle.

Ab Guides are the like are commercial, market drivel - do you ever get Quad Guides or Shoulder Guides? No, and we know why - but there's nothing different to training abs than any other muscle in your body.

Flogger

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Warboss Alex
... it's all about dropping the bodyfat and training the muscle hard so it sticks out more.
That's it.

Running will probably do more for you than high rep crunches because high rep crunches will neither increase the muscle size much nor burn more fat than running.

If you're going to bother exercising your abs directly at all, do heavy weight, low rep (8-15).