Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Buying clothes.

Beige

Don Juan
Reaction score

- Excuse me, hi, could you take a look at this jacket on me and tell me what you think about it?
- What? - (Laughs)
- Oh, it's that bad? I'll better take it off then...
(Laughs some more) - Hah, no, just noone has ever asked me this. Take a step back so I can look at you..

The art of buying clothes

I went to a shop once and I told the salesman that I want something for summer. He gave me a striped shirt and short, blue jean pants. I put them on. "That's great", he said. I looked in a mirror, I didn't wear this kind of outfit before so I wasn't sure. Well.. it looked ok. I bought it.

Clothes manifest your personality. When you let someone else, especially salesman, choose your outfit then even If he makes you look good - he may choose clothes that have different style then you. You want to be seen as a rich, ronfident fellow and this guy gives you something that gives you an independent artist look. Sure, you'll still look good, but that won't show your personality and that won't attract chicks that are your type. Even if salesman has a great sense of style, he doesn't know your personality so he can't choose your clothes.

Other thing - many salesmen will say anything to make you buy some piece so you can't really rely on them.

So, what to do?

Remember, you've got the taste, you just haven't discovered it yet. Go on and try many different things. You may ask a salesman for an opinion, but only in form of "Do I look good in this? Does this tie match? May I wear this jacket with those pants?", don't let him choose things for you.

Also, put the outfit on, approach some girl that is in your type and ask her on opinion. Remember - she must be in your type, the one you want to attract. If you ask a punk girl if your GQ outfit is fine then her output will be worthless.

Although girls are generally more reliable than salespersons because they have no bussiness in selling you the clothes, it is good to know how to ask them. If you just ask if that looks good on you then you'll most likely hear "Well.. yes". It will help to know what questions will give you an honest answer:
- How do you rate my outfit, in the 1-10 scale?
- What would you change in my outfit?
- Would you tell your bf if he would come home in sth like that?
- Would you buy this for your bf?
- Do you think that I should buy this, or do some more searching?
Remember, don't ask just about jacket, pants, shoes, they may look good but they've got to compose with other things!

It is cruicial to not rely completly only on your opinion nor only on other people's. Don't rely only on your opinion because you can force yourself to like the outfit or to decide that it's not right only because you're afraid of trying something new. Don't completly on others' opinions because even if your outfit gives good vibes - those vibes may be other than the ones you want to send (eg. bussinessman vibes instead of a bad boy vibes).

The sizes.
When you buy a shirt - make sure that you feel good in it. When you stand straight you will always feel right, but what if you begin moving your hands? Try to scratch your back, your head, sit, move!
My few first shirts were too tight, when I stood straight they were fine but when I began moving my hands I felt them pressing my chest too much.
Sleeves - make sure that they're not too long. Right after you put your shirt on the sleeve doesn't fall all the way down, so make a few moves with your hand. Then extend your hand as if you'd like to shake it with someone, imagine yourself doing that, if sleeves are too long then at this moment they will cause problems

Pants - don't wear them on your belly. That's pretty obvious for many people, for me half a year ago - it wasn't. Now - sit down, put your leg so your ankle is on your the knee of your other leg. If you can see your skin between the sock and pants - they're too short. Remember that socks tend to slide down a little, don't pull them up now so they can reach pants!
Above is crucial. The look of a skin between a sock and pants is awful. Make sure you've got long enough pants (or socks:) so that never happens.

Money
Two simple rules - don't spend everything on one day or in one shop and always check the prices before you put something on.

Finally...
I hope that this will help someone avoid mistakes I made. I believe that after some practice everyone figures this out anyway, the question is - how much will it cost him.

Stay positive,
Beige out

P.S. The girl from the begginning of this post called her friend over too look at me too. In a brief conversation they managed to souavely tell me that they've got boyfriends even though I had no intention of picking them up (they were too old for me). First one said that she was looking for something similar for hey bf, the second one fixed my collar and said that she loves when her bf wears it like that. I find it interesting how much information people give out without even realising it.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Good tips, good post. I'll add that everyone should find their own personal style too. It makes shopping much easier because you can bypass things that wouldn't work with your style.

Understand just because something looks good on a hanger or on a mannequin doesn't mean that it will look good on you. Fit is one thing but also choose clothing that you feel comfortable in. It makes it easy to DJ when you feel comfortable.

Not saying that you should always DJ in sweats and a t-shirt, but that you should find your style in several types of clothing (dress, casual, athletic/play) so that you can dress appropriately for any situation and feel confident.

poonologist

Don Juan
Reaction score
good tips.found the story very enlightening as well :p

DJ_Dork

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The good dressers are always that do a lot of window shopping a week before actually purchasing. Don't think you're a girl for doing that.. girls do that all the time.. that is why most of them dress well. AFCs just go in.. buy whatever then get out thinking it looks cool on them finding out that they're wearing the wrong things. Use those plastic model things.. don't worry about being "mainstream" sometimes there's nothing wrong with that because actual fashion designers designed clothes to fit well together.

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abercrombie & Fitch make the best clothing bar none. I just spent $60 on a pair of jeans there, but they're the most fitting and perfect jeans I've ever had. Also, you can't find collared short-sleeved shirts like theirs anywhere, since they make muscle shirts. All other places make the sleeves too long, which is terrible because it makes you look like you have stubby arms.

Mr. Latte

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Abercrombie & Fitch makes the best jeans ever? I own a pair, and they're ok for the price. Go try on a pair of $250 Diesel jeans of $700 Evisu jeans (they're made on a traditional loom in Japan, one loom can produce only 14 pairs of jeans per day), and THEN tell me that A&F jeans are good. For the price, they're not bad, but A&F is Kmart quality stuff.

becker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was saying that A&F jeans tend to be the best designed for some reason. There's something about the ruggedness, how they're ripped a little and stuff that makes them good. The denim is also very comfortable. I hate stiff denim, and that seems to be what a lot of these jeans like Diesel have.

My cousin had a few pairs of Diesel jeans, but I didn't see what made them so great, because they certainly didn't look any different from like a pair of Levis or something. I also hate tapered legs, which these seemed to be. I wear only boot cut right now.

triple_ultima

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Your own style is good, but it can be fatal if it leads you the wrong way.

A typical heterosexual male in the United States will wear jeans and a t-shirt, both of which are much too big for him. His favorite places to shop include Wal-Mart, Anchor Blue, and Old Navy.

This is the style that I try to steer clear of, and I think is a style that does not fit Don Juans very well. We stand out, don't we? Why would we want to wear clothes just like everybody else?

My favorite places to shop are The Gap and Express Men. Both places are excellent in fashion, and generally sell clothes that are superior to anything else of the same price. If you shop exclusively at Express Men, I guarantee you will stand out; you will look bold and fashionable. Don't be afraid of the stereotypes that these places are only for gay men; I am as straight as can be and I shop at them all the time. Besides, I don't mind the stereotype; gay men always have better fashion sense than straight men, and, take it from me, girls notice.

Of course, rule number one for clothes is that you HAVE to be comfortable in them. If you aren't comfortable, it will show in your behavior, resulting in a lack of confidence. For myself, I am most comfortable in pants that fit me just right and shirts that are a bit too small for me; I like the "emo kid" look. Try out your own style, but buy clothes from nice places that enhance your style.

Mikeman!

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have one thing to add. Several posters have stated to wear clothing you feel comfortable in. For those who are just trying to get their fashion sense together(which is the type of guy this article is aimed at), this is dangerous advice.

When I started trying out fitted dress shirts/muscle shirts with Diesel/Parasuco bootcut jeans, I was not comfortable with it. It was new to me, and sometimes I couldn't even figure out if certain colors or styles even looked good on me, I was that fashion illiterate. But in time I slowly got more comfortable with these new styles/colors and I was finally able to see why those whom I seeked opinions from were telling me the clothes looked good on me.

Just keep an open mind when you go out shopping for clothes...