Buying and Selling Cars

chickenlegs03

Banned
Reaction score
okay, so I'm in the process of starting an eBay store, and I've also been looking to get myself a car lately. Probably a cheap, used 4-cylinder to get me from point A to B. I've decided that I'll most definitely get a pickup...and I'll be paying around $5-6K.

Anyway, I've been browsing through eBay, and also in the local newspaper. Then I thought of an idea. The cars in the newspaper seem fairly low priced. And on top of that, you can go there, notice flaws, and negotiate. What I'm thinking is, why not buy cars locally and sell them on eBay? Anyone try this or have experience doing this? For example, just now I found a couple trucks that are selling for at least a grand more on eBay, than they are locally.

I already have a job, and will have an eBay store soon...so this would be just on the side, say selling 1 car a week. I'm thinking I could even do some inexpensive TLC on the interior/exterior cosmetics of the car to make them 'look' nicer before I sell them...ie, like Pimp My Ride, but on a much lower scale. Because if you have seen that show, the engine/brakes/etc of the cars still suck...it's all cosmetic.

Any thoughts, experience, advice on doing this? I'll be going ahead with it this summer anyway, just wondering if anyone's tried it before...

Last edited:

tipsy_619

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was thinking about doin the same thing
but I was planning on buying cars thru public auctions
& then selling them locally like thru auto trader.

I heard something about a limit as to how many cars you can legally sell a year or something like that

Does anyone know if this is true & what I should look out for?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Check with the state in which you live to see how many cars you can buy and sell each year without needing a dealer's license.