Buy supplements? You're being ripped-off.

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
I see a lot of misconceptions about supplements on this board. This started as a reply to one of the numerous threads saying that you need massive amounts of protein to get huge, but I moved it here when it morphed into a general supplement tutorial. In any case, if you're new to the health industry, you need to know a few things about the way it works.

Okay, eating protein is important. And it's often quoted to be 1-1.5 g of protein per pound (not kilogram) of bodyweight. You'll often hear that advice on this site.

Realistically, about .6-.8 g of protein per pound of bodyweight is more than adequate. Want to guess where the claims of 1-2 g per pound of bodyweight come from? The supplement industry. They know there's no realistic or convenient way for a normal person to pack in that amount of protein per day without protein powder supplementation, and the more they can get people to take per day, the better their bottom line.

Remember, the muscle magazines, online bodybuilding sites, and even the vast majority of the "research" you see quoted in ads and in muscle magazines are heavily spun and influenced by the supplement manufacturers. And yes, the columns and articles that are ostensibly written by experts in the field or independent writers from the magazines are heavily spun to favor the supplement companies. After all, the people paying these graduate students to do research and the magazines to keep printing are the supplement companies. In some cases, health magazines and supplement companies are owned by the same person/corporation.

A very good recent article on the topic by the NYTimes can be found at

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=FB0613F73F5F0C708EDDAF0894DB404482

Unfortunately, you need to pay to see it, because it's archived now (it's from June 23).

It's going to be difficult to sift through the garbage (and the vast majority of it is garbage) to figure out what really gets you results. The entire fitness industry is a gigantic money-making machine, and its consumers are heavily saturated with b.s. marketing claims, so even asking your local gymrat isn't necessarily going to help.

A few tips I can give:

Don't be impressed by extra ingredients beyond what you're looking for in a supplement. They're often useless herbs, etc, used to differentiate a product from others. Buy based on price per unit, and buy the cheapest items you can find.

Never pay more than the lowest price per pound you can find for a whey powder. The only exception to this is if you really hate the taste of a cheap brand, but absolutely love the taste of a more expensive brand. But don't think that more expensive = better tasting; the ultra-cheap brand I use is actually the second best tasting powder I've ever tried. Every dollar beyond the cheapest protein you spend is spent on their marketing machine. There is essentially no difference between wheys.

MRPs are often just sugar (they'll specify the kind of sugar to make it sound fancy) and whey powder with a higher mark-up. You're better off buying whey and mixing it with fruit juice and fruit in a smoothie as a weight-gainer. MRPs can be convenient if you're on the go though.

$2.50 is too much to spend on a protein bar. Look around for a protein bar with about 20 g of protein for about a buck and buy them in bulk if you like protein bars.

Creatine will help you, but you only need about 5g per day. You piss the rest out. The loading period some people advocate is bull**** and is designed to sell more creatine. Creatine from almost any manufacturer is extremely pure, so buy any brand that's cheap. Under no circumstances should you buy liquid creatine. Creatine is not stable in liquid form, so you're paying extra for spoiled creatine. Under no circumstances should you buy a creatine mix like Cell-tech. It's just sugar mixed with creatine with a gigantic mark-up. If you're worried about spiking your insulin, you're probably being a bit picky, but you can do it with juice. If you're trying to cut to a specific weight (to make weight in wrestling, powerlifting, etc.) do not take creatine. It'll add several pounds of water weight to your body.

If you're looking to lose weight, an Ephedra-Caffeine-willow bark compound MIGHT help you (see that NYTimes article). The reasons it might help you is because it'll make you lose a lot of water weight (it's a diuretic) and it will make you hyper for most of the day, so you might become more active. I personally think ECA stacks are overkill, and ephedra is probably bad for you. In any case, the same rules apply: read the labels to look for the main ingredients (the three I quoted above), and then look at the price per unit so you get the cheapest brand. Xenadrine (the most popular of these) is too expensive. Don't take an ECA and creatine at the same time.

A multivitamin can be useful. Go to Target or some other huge retailer and buy a cheap, generic one. You probably won't need any other vitamins. ZMA is just another vitamin supplement you don't need.

You'll often hear glutamine is a must-have supplement. It's not. It's useful if you aren't getting enough protein in your diet, but the first thing most people supplement with is protein.

Pro-hormones are garbage. If you're going to be an idiot and **** with your endocrine system, take real steroids. They're more effective, cost about the same, and have basically the same side effects. In either case, be honest and don't compete in things that ban hormone supplementation. And don't ***** when you're dying at age 50 from overdoing on the steroids when you were 20.

Most of the rest of the stuff you see at your local health store is garbage. When you go into a health store, be sure to go in with the thing you want in mind and only buy that thing. A lot of these places have salesmen that work on commission, and besides being generally ignorant of what they're selling, these people will also advise you buy lots of supposedly complimentary supplements to go with what you bought ("I see you're buying protein powder; you'll need this $30 bottle of enzymes to properly digest all that"). These complimentary products are like undercoating on a car--pure profit garbage.

Supplements are useful in some cases, but keep in mind that the vast majority of what's out there is pure marketing. Getting big is not a matter of eating 2 g of whey per pound of body weight, drinking 15 g of creatine with dextrose, or taking ZMA to spike your testosterone. Getting big is about eating more and lifting weights. Similarly, losing weight isn't about taking Xenadrine, l-glutamine, and CLA. Losing weight is eating less and/or working out more. NitroTech is NOT 800% more effective than regular whey, people using Xenadrine did NOT lose 300% more body fat than placebo, and you should NOT believe anything you read from the fitness industry.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm going to have to put my 2 cents in here, and disagree with some of your stuff. I'll post my response after yours in parentheses.

Okay, eating protein is important. And it's often quoted to be 1-1.5 g of protein per pound (not kilogram) of bodyweight. You'll often hear that advice on this site.

Realistically, about .6-.8 g of protein per pound of bodyweight is more than adequate. Want to guess where the claims of 1-2 g per pound of bodyweight come from? The supplement industry. They know there's no realistic or convenient way for a normal person to pack in that amount of protein per day without protein powder supplementation, and the more they can get people to take per day, the better their bottom line.

(Protein intake is still being studied, and you can't say whether .8g/lb is too low, or too high. I will go with .8-1g/lb. Now whether or not 1.5g-2g is still ok, or better we still don't know until further studies. Still TONS of questions about this. Hence below)

Protein metabolism during intensive physical training in the young adult. Consolazio CF, Johnson HL, Nelson RA, Dramise JG, Skala JH.

Influence of protein intake and training status on nitrogen balance and lean body mass. Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA.

Dietary protein requirements and body protein metabolism in endurance-trained men. Meredith CN, Zackin MJ, Frontera WR, Evans WJ.

Protein requirements and muscle mass/strength changes during intensive training in novice bodybuilders. Lemon PW, Tarnopolsky MA, MacDougall JD, Atkinson SA

Evaluation of protein requirements for trained strength athletes.
Tarnopolsky MA, Atkinson SA, MacDougall JD, Chesley A, Phillips S, Schwarcz HP.

Reexamination of protein requirements in adult male humans by end-product measurements of leucine and lysine metabolism.
Zello GA, Telch J, Clarke R, Ball RO, Pencharz PB.

Protein and amino acid needs of the strength athlete.
Lemon PW.

Macronutrient content of a hypoenergy diet affects nitrogen retention and muscle function in weight lifters.
Walberg JL, Leidy MK, Sturgill DJ, Hinkle DE, Ritchey SJ, Sebolt DR

Protein intake and athletic performance.
Lemon PW, Proctor DN.

Is increased dietary protein necessary or beneficial for individuals with a physically active lifestyle?
Lemon PW.

Do athletes need more dietary protein and amino acids?
Lemon PW.

Do regular high protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes?
Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O.

A few tips I can give:

Buy based on price per unit, and buy the cheapest items you can find.

(WRONG. Don't buy the cheapest thing you can find. Alot of the time the cheaper you go, the ****tier product you get.)

Never pay more than the lowest price per pound you can find for a whey powder. The only exception to this is if you really hate the taste of a cheap brand, but absolutely love the taste of a more expensive brand. But don't think that more expensive = better tasting; the ultra-cheap brand I use is actually the second best tasting powder I've ever tried. Every dollar beyond the cheapest protein you spend is spent on their marketing machine. There is essentially no difference between wheys.

(Very wrong. All proteins ARE NOT created equal. Read about what protein contains in it, then you will realize why cheap isn't always the best. There are MANY batches of whey, and kinds made. Not all whey is the same. Cheap cheap companies use whey from batch D as apoosed to A. I mean how do you know?
The best and ONLY way to tell if you are getting a decent amount of protein in is to DIVIDE THE SERVING SIZE.

Example. Serving sive= 50g, and there is 22g of protein per scoop. That = .44 or 44% protein is in that scoop. All the rest is flavoring, sugar, ash, and all that other good stuff they put in. By the way 44% is ****.

80% and I repeat 80% is the highest I have seen in a protein for a WPC or Whey Protein concentrate, and this is NOT from the health food store. So if you get it at the store take your calc, and divide and find the best one that has the most protein per scoop. Not always the cheapest, not always the most expensive. Just do your homework, and if you always by cheap, you may just get 44%)

MRPs are often just sugar (they'll specify the kind of sugar to make it sound fancy) and whey powder with a higher mark-up. You're better off buying whey and mixing it with fruit juice and fruit in a smoothie as a weight-gainer. MRPs can be convenient if you're on the go though.

(MRPs are not often sugar. And who said sugar was bad? Sugar only promotes tooth decay. That is the ONLY main difference in Dextrose or Sucrose as apposed to Maltodextrin which is a COMPLEX carb and yields the same GI as the others. Only other thng it isn't sweet, not will Malto cause tooth decay)

Look around for a protein bar with about 20 g of protein for about a buck and buy them in bulk if you like protein bars.

(Always buy the buck bar, and the first ingredient may well be COLLAGEN. THAT YOU DON'T WANT. Again do your homework, and READ LABELS. Don't ALWAYS BUY CHEAP.)

Creatine will help you, but you only need about 5g per day. You piss the rest out. The loading period some people advocate is bull**** and is designed to sell more creatine. Creatine from almost any manufacturer is extremely pure, so buy any brand that's cheap. If you're trying to cut to a specific weight (to make weight in wrestling, powerlifting, etc.) do not take creatine. It'll add several pounds of water weight to your body.

(Wrong again. 5g before 5g after. Anything over 10g is crap. Again loading is not really bull****. Loading does work as well as gets the creatine in the body quicker. It saturates the muscles. Now will you get bigger? NO, but you will be ahead of the game. It's just all a matter of time. Creatine from ANY COMPANY IS NOT FINE. Again do your research. If it isn't CREAPURE FROM SKW OR ULTRAPURE FROM DSM CHEMICALS, DON'T BUY IT. The ohter stuff may well be 99% creatine, but NOT 99% PURE FROM IMPURITIES.
The rest is ok what you said. Actually creatine CAN be used as a diurectic, you just have to know how to manipulate the creatine)

If you're looking to lose weight, an Ephedra-Caffeine-willow bark compound MIGHT help you (see that NYTimes article). The reasons it might help you is because it'll make you lose a lot of water weight (it's a diuretic) and it will make you hyper for most of the day, so you might become more active.

(Ephedra is NOT a diurectic. It is a THERMOGENIC COMPOUND, as in heat/ raising the bodies temp. Parsley Leaves, Grapefruit Powder, Uva Ursi, Buchu, Doggrass, Cornsilk, Hydrangea Root, Juniper Berries are all diurectics. NOTICE I DON'T MENTION EPHEDRA, NOR WHITE WILLOW BAR) (or salycylic acid or aspirin)

A multivitamin can be useful. Go to Target or some other huge retailer and buy a cheap, generic one. You probably won't need any other vitamins. ZMA is just another vitamin supplement you don't need.

(Generic is ****ty most the time. If you knew your types of vitmains, which ones are good, which aren't, and also too amounts you would realize that all generic isn't the best. Some generic you can trust, some you can't. I suggest Twin Labs, Natures Way, Natrol, Solaray, KAL, and those brands.)

You'll often hear glutamine is a must-have supplement. It's not. It's useful if you aren't getting enough protein in your diet, but the first thing most people supplement with is protein.

(Useful for cutting it is)

Pro-hormones are garbage. If you're going to be an idiot and **** with your endocrine system, take real steroids. They're more effective, cost about the same, and have basically the same side effects

(Old prohormones are worthless. Indeed. Nor stack and 19 andro and 6 andro and garbage of the like. ONE, ONE+ 4AD, 1-AD and the sort ARE NOT WORTHLESS. These are the new puppies out on the market (for a while they have been) and they do produce results. Take that stuff from the early 90s and forget it. Now if you do take them, just be smart and not dumb)

Most of the rest of the stuff you see at your local health store is garbage. When you go into a health store, be sure to go in with the thing you want in mind and only buy that thing. A lot of these places have salesmen that work on commission, and besides being generally ignorant of what they're selling, these people will also advise you buy lots of supposedly complimentary supplements to go with what you bought ("I see you're buying protein powder; you'll need this $30 bottle of enzymes to properly digest all that"). These complimentary products are like undercoating on a car--pure profit garbage.

(Ignorant I am not, garbage some is not.)

Lutein and Bilberry. PROVEN SUPPS to help prevent further maculardegeneration.

Aminogen- Highl proven to help digest protein.

MGN3 highly studied to help patients who have had chemo, etc.

ALA, VERY VERY VERY EFFECTIVE FOR DIABETICS.

White Willow Bark. Works Identicle to aspirin but better on the stomach.

Saw Palmetto is high used and effective in treating prostrate problems.

COQ10 is VERY effective for the heart and other reasons.

Tea Tree oil will cure nail fungus, as well as kill headlice and treat dandruff if not better then prescription stuff.

Need I go on? I think you get my point. Know the facts before you claim stuff)

[/B][/QUOTE]

(This last part is just fine)

This wasn't a bashing time, this was just to make sure you know what your talking about before your post.)

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigforearms
Creatine will help you, but you only need about 5g per day. You piss the rest out. The loading period some people advocate is bull**** and is designed to sell more creatine.
I would agree with this statement if you were talking about creatine supplementation from a body building perspective.

With regards to sports such as hockey and lacrosse, where short burst of speed are needed throughout the game, I would recommend people supplement with high doses of creatine(15 - 20 grams). I can tell you that from experience a larger dosage of creatine gives you more energy and helps you recover faster than supplementing with only 5 grams.

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
Omen,
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. And I was expecting responses of this sort.

A few selected responses to your criticism:

As far as protein intake amount goes, my point is to give an amount based on best current available evidence. Saying that something is still being studied and the results of the studies might change in the future is a non-issue. We can't know anything for certain.

"The cheaper you go the ****tier the product"
That little piece of "common sense" is deadset wrong and is one of the most commonly exploited marketing tactics, ESPECIALLY in the supplement business. Read the labels. Hell, read the amino acid profiles of your favorite proteins if you want. And yes, I have divided serving sizes and my claim still stands. NEVER use the more expensive = greater quality in buying anything. I cannot stress how poor a judgement call this is.

"Always buy the buck bar, and the first ingredient may be collagen"
Nonsense.

Your creatine claims are off. 10 g might be serviceable for some people, as bodies are different, but I'd highly doubt it. I'm curious what you'd have to do to make creatine a diuretic.

I said the ECA stack is a diuretic, and it is. It is also a thermogenic. Caffeine is a definite diuretic.

Some generic is ****, but I find the number of ****ty expensive name brands are about the same as the number of ****ty generics. The only difference is price.

Glutamine would be useful for cutting if you had to cut your protein intake so low that your body wasn't getting enough glutamine. This is rarely the case.

If the new prohormones were worth a damn they'd have gone to the pharmaceutical industry first, would be reclassified as steroids, and would be illegal as all hell. Maybe the government is a little behind on a few.

Most of the rest of the stuff sold in health food stores is garbage. Some things have niche uses and do work, but this is the exception and not the rule.

One thing you hit on that maybe I forgot to say is that an important part of comparison is reading the nutrition information and ingredients list. The problem is that the beginning fitness enthusiasts this post is for are easily swayed by misleading nutrition information and ingredients lists. Go through your local GNC and count the number of products that have "SUPERMUSCLEPOWERMAXBLEND (proprietary blend of...)" in their list of ingredients. And, like I touched on, there are a number of ingredients of dubious benefit that are thrown into things so that people who look at ingredients lists will buy this companies product instead of another, even though it doesn't make a bit of difference.

KmZDon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I have a question, someone just said if eating protein, eat them in bulk. Ok, now, since I HATE the liquid protein, why not eat the protein bar, right?

... but! But I thought protein bar was useless. What's going on? Is it useless or not?

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by bigforearms
Omen,
Actually, I do know what I'm talking about. And I was expecting responses of this sort.

A few selected responses to your criticism:

As far as protein intake amount goes, my point is to give an amount based on best current available evidence. Saying that something is still being studied and the results of the studies might change in the future is a non-issue. We can't know anything for certain.

(What evidence do you have to support your claim. Now don't give me some BS from a RD. It IS an issue if it was still being studied. If it wasn't being studied anymore, then they would say higher amounts do/don't work.)

"The cheaper you go the ****tier the product"
That little piece of "common sense" is deadset wrong and is one of the most commonly exploited marketing tactics, ESPECIALLY in the supplement business. Read the labels. Hell, read the amino acid profiles of your favorite proteins if you want. And yes, I have divided serving sizes and my claim still stands. NEVER use the more expensive = greater quality in buying anything. I cannot stress how poor a judgement call this is.

(Not always the case. Sometimes you get what you pay for. Prolab is good protein, but it is cheaper then the Optimum most the time, and it is also a lower % than the Optimum. That's just one issue. Some companies use VERY high quality protein. CFM® PowerPro®. It all depends. Sure some companies will get you, and some won't. Look at AST. They lie out their ass.)

"Always buy the buck bar, and the first ingredient may be collagen"
Nonsense.

(You can't always assume again. Your assuming that the cheaper the better. You HAVE to look at bars. VHT makes a good bar. May be a tad more, but no Collagen. Labels and price are key. Again, some companies can't afford but to put tons of collagen in a bar)

Your creatine claims are off. 10 g might be serviceable for some people, as bodies are different, but I'd highly doubt it. I'm curious what you'd have to do to make creatine a diuretic.

(10g is the norm for EVERY PERSON. At least the ones that can take it. Any more than 10g is no good on a maintenance phase. Sure you may be able to get by on 5, but 10 is better.)

(What would you have to do to make it a diurectic? Think about what creatine does?)

I said the ECA stack is a diuretic, and it is. It is also a thermogenic. Caffeine is a definite diuretic.

(caffeine isn't the major playor here. Caffeine and WW are used to prolong the effect of the Ephedra. And the caffeine alone isn't enough to consider the product a diurectic. What's next? Mountain Dew?)

Some generic is ****, but I find the number of ****ty expensive name brands are about the same as the number of ****ty generics. The only difference is price.

(Do you know what synthetic is? Do you know what synthetic Vit E is? That's only part. I suggest you really study your vitamins)

Glutamine would be useful for cutting if you had to cut your protein intake so low that your body wasn't getting enough glutamine. This is rarely the case.

(CARBS. Not protein. Glutamine is useful when you are on a LOW CARB phase and cutting. Has nothing to do with protein intake. Protein intake is always higher.)

If the new prohormones were worth a damn they'd have gone to the pharmaceutical industry first, would be reclassified as steroids, and would be illegal as all hell. Maybe the government is a little behind on a few.

(Look at the molecule structures. As long as they aren't a STEROID, it's ok for now. Sure the FDA and all that is looking into them, but they have to have a DAMN good reason to ban them. They have to prove it is as potent or more potent, or IS a steroid)

Most of the rest of the stuff sold in health food stores is garbage. Some things have niche uses and do work, but this is the exception and not the rule.

(There are alot of things that work. Pharmaceutical companies are the ones that hate it. Because there are alot of herbal and vit Drs telling people to go to their health food store and get this and that as apposed to a drug. Look at the last things I mentioned. And that isn't even half. Would you like me to further elaborate on more useful products?)

One thing you hit on that maybe I forgot to say is that an important part of comparison is reading the nutrition information and ingredients list. The problem is that the beginning fitness enthusiasts this post is for are easily swayed by misleading nutrition information and ingredients lists. Go through your local GNC and count the number of products that have "SUPERMUSCLEPOWERMAXBLEND (proprietary blend of...)" in their list of ingredients. And, like I touched on, there are a number of ingredients of dubious benefit that are thrown into things so that people who look at ingredients lists will buy this companies product instead of another, even though it doesn't make a bit of difference.
(I don't need to go into my local GNC store, TRUST ME ON THIS. And yes I know quite well some have 20 proprietary blends in them that don't do ****. I think Animal Stak is worthless, as well as some of those proteins that have 20 herbs in them. But you can't tell people that some things BY THEM SELVES, and FOR CERTAIN REASONS. Bodybuilder or not. There are alot of herbs and things that will and do work. You are correct in READING THE LABELS, but that in itself isn't always enough. It's called homework, and its called AMA, JAMA, etc etc. ALL the journals.)

bigforearms

Don Juan
Reaction score
(What evidence do you have to support your claim. Now don't give me some BS from a RD. It IS an issue if it was still being studied. If it wasn't being studied anymore, then they would say higher amounts do/don't work.)

The answer to this question involves an understanding of logic and the scientific process. We both agree (or come close to agreeing) on an amount of protein that has been shown to be beneficial (I said .6-.8, you said .8-1 g/lb). The problem I have is with the advice floating around bodybuilding circles that the correct amount, the NECESSARY amount, for strength athletes is between 1 and 2 grams of protein. Your counterpoint is that very high levels of protein are still being studied so I can't say whether taking in more than that is bad advice. The fact that something is still being studied does not mean that conclusions cannot be drawn based on available evidence. In fact, nothing ceases to be studied. Your argument is analagous to the "it's just a theory" argument put forward by creationists when talking about Evolution. Also, if it has been shown that about .8 g/lb is helpful for the strength athlete, but studies on much higher amounts of protein intake are conflicting or inconclusive, what business do companies, magazines, gymrats, etc, have giving new bodybuilders the advice that those high levels are necessary?

You then proceed to defend your cheaper = ****tier counterargument. Let me change my original statement a bit. Buyers should not assume that more expensive = better in any case (this is good advice in all purchases). From what I've seen in the health industry, there is no relation between the price of a whey and the quality of the whey (in some industries, there is more of a relationship, but still not one adequate enough to make a decision based on that assumption). There are low-quality whey producers on the low end and low-quality producers on the high end. Now then, since the primary difference between the quality low-price protein products and the quality high-price protein products is price, people should buy the cheapest of these.

Same argument with the collagen in protein bars question. I see no relationship between the amount of collagen being snuck into protein bars and the price of the bar. Hence, barring other considerations, cheaper is the way to go. Notice that I am in no way assuming cheaper is better quality. That would be even less logical than the cheaper is higher quality argument, which holds somewhat true in some industries.

Okay, I'm thinking of what creatine does. The only thing I can think of that has anything to do with water loss/uptake is that creatine causes water uptake. Diuretics increase the amount of urine excreted. So, it seems to me that creatine works in the exact opposite way that a diuretic would.

Caffeine is a diuretic. The most often quoted study I could see that caffeine isn't a diuretic is a UConn study that said that caffeine had mild diuretic properties that are offset in people who drink 1-4 cups of coffee per day in the long term. So, there's one respectable study almost supporting your view that it isn't. In any case, caffeine IS at least a mild, and possibly a moderate diuretic. Caffeine is a significant player in the ECA stack when it comes to diuresis, even if it's chosen to be in the stack as a synergist to Ephedra. A dose from an ECA stack usually has 200 mg of caffeine or a bit more. Manufacturers often state that you need 2-3 doses per day as part of a weight loss program. A normal cup of coffee has about 80 mg of caffeine. A can of coke has about 35 mg. Let's see, three doses ECA come out to 600 mg of caffeine per day, or 7.5 cups of coffee. Mountain dew has 50 or 60 mgs of caffeine in a can. So you're taking in a large amount of at least a mild diuretic per day if you're taking an ECA stack according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Yes, I'm familiar with the difference between synthetic and natural vitamin E, but I don't see what bearing that has on a discussion of price/quality of a multivitamin.

Glutamine supplementation is usually used to keep your body from feeding off of your skeletal muscles for glutamine when you're dieting. Glutamine is plentiful in protein supplements and in any kind of muscle-based protein food. If you're on a low carb diet and are still getting plenty of protein, you do not need glutamine supplements as you'll get plenty from the food you're eating. Now, if you're on a weight-loss diet with very little protein, glutamine supplementation still wouldn't make sense. You'd be better off supplementing with protein. Glutamine is just an amino acid, and a plentiful one at that. It has nothing to do with carbs.

Respectable medical journal articles are good homework if you care to wade through them, and very few beginning fitness enthusiasts do. They tend to get their info from gymrats, their GNC salesman, muscle magazines, or even advertisements. I'm trying to provide some advice so that they don't get taken by an industry that is full of deceptive advertising.

Even in the case of university-performed supplement research, there are some severe problems. For one, supplement manufacturers and lawyers often insist on rewrites so that they can get a marketing claim out of an essentially negative report. Look into the recent lawsuit against Xenadrine and another ECA manufacturer for an interesting study of this. You should be choosy of your journals.

BTW, the reason the pharmaceutical companies dislike the supplement manufacturers has to do with the supplement manufacturers not having to go through a rigorous testing process to prove their claims and safety. The pharmaceutical industry has to go through rigorous testing before they market their product and prove their claims before they can sell it. The supplement manufacturers can market their products immediately, and the government will pull products that are unsafe (notice, I didn't say ineffective) AFTER they've already been on the shelf.

KMZDon:
I have a question, someone just said if eating protein, eat them in bulk. Ok, now, since I HATE the liquid protein, why not eat the protein bar, right?

I don't think either of us said that bars are ineffective. Omen made the point that some have collagen or gelatin in them (some do), which is an incomplete protein (it's missing tryptophan or one of the other essential amino acids). It still goes in the protein count for the nutrition info, but isn't nearly as good as a complete protein source and isn't what most people buying bars expect. Collagen is a problem if it's one of the first several ingredients. Note that some bars might have gelatin near the end of the ingredients list, in which case they're using it for its consistency and it doesn't have much affect on the protein amount reported in the nutrition facts (meaning they're not trying to scam you).

I said try to buy them in bulk because it's often (not always)cheaper, not to eat them in bulk.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I would love to respond to that, but so this isn't an ongoing process, lets just say people NEED TO LOOK AT THE LABELS AND DO THEIR HOMEWORK. Same goes for protein. I usually do a tad higher then the RD. I don't do 1.8-2g, and won't till there is SCIENTIFIC PROOF. And not just on Muscle building, but kidney studies too. We will find out someday.

(By the way I know about that caffeine study)

Sure your beginner won't read journals. I have read MANY. And I base my stuff off of them. Not 100%, but I use it to help.

Look on the back of Cell-Tech by Muscle Tech, pull up the study on ALA or Chromium (forgot which one) and what Muscle Tech claims isn't even part of the study. The study showed higher amounts then MT uses. Sure the ingredient works, but the doses are too low in Cell Tech. Never liked them never will.

But I guess it all comes down to asking people who know what they are talking about. Not some 15yr old who thinks creatine will make him gain 10lbs of muscle in one month.