Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bulking Up

Munchking

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm about 5'6", but very skinny. Does anybody have any advice on gaining some weight and muscle in a healthy way?

mikeyb

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Start by checking out the vault:
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=126233

I'm skinny too, so I'm in no position to give you credible advice, but you'll find that everything you see in the vault comes down to two things:

1) Workout heavy with compound lifts
2) Eat like a horse

Good luck

Munchking

Don Juan
Reaction score
That sounds solid, thanks for the quick reply.

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=125444 -A

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=134782 -B

A+B=20-60 pounds of muscle in your first year, if things are done the way they should be. Most people will probably do better than 20, very few are likely to reach 50+. 20-30 is a big improvement for anyone that is underweight though.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Start a log if you can. Most of the people who get give advice on here aren't heard from again. Or if then are they it is 3-6 months later and they are asking the same questions as before. Don't be that person.

Good luck.

Recluce

Don Juan
Reaction score
everything already suggested seems like all you need. one thing that I would like to emphasize to you is to work out until failure. Keep going until you cannot do another repetition. Dont start this until after the first few weeks because you will REALLY hurt the next day, but once you start getting past the insane soreness, go balls to the wall. Just think of it like this:

every time you do a set, your previous repetitions are all leading up to your failure repetition. each sequential repetition breaks down the muscle more than the previous one did. So go till it burns, then do 2 more!

also, do not be eager to increase the weight. you need to properly build your form and stabilizer muscles in order to prevent injury. Injury = you can't work out as hard as you should be able to = slower gains.

dont be intimidated by the guys throwing up all those plates. a great method for determining when you need to go up in weight is to go for 3 set of 10 with whatever weight you are currently doing. On the last set if you can pump out 15 then you can up the weight.

last thing, I would recommend doing chinups and pushups at least 3 times a week. Chinups are one of those exercises that if you start doing it while you are still skinny, you can really build some strong core muscles. If you keep doing those as you gain weight, you will have a great core. (do chinups with palms facing away from your body and grip just wider than shoulder length) start with a couple of sets of 5 then go from there. Its very difficult to injure yourself doing chinups and its a great exercise

Quagmire911

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some people can do failure training, others can't.

Probably a more accurate way too put it is "technical failure", ie when you can't perform another rep without using proper form.

As for chinups 3x a week, that might be ok if you are 140, I am sure the guys that are 200+ wouldn't want to be doing that. I am 175 and I wouldn't want to give it a go. Worked when I was 14 and 135 though.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's no correct formula for everyone, but you stick to two things and you should be ok :

Compund lifts
Eat Eat Eat