Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bulking up + Half-Marathon Training - How Counter-productive is it?

defiancy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I gained 20 pounds this summer and thankfully a good amount of it is muscle mass. Recently though I've taken my friend's challenge of running a half-marathon with him and I'm at 3 miles now. Now, I've read some articles in the Vault and searched some threads and the general opinion tends to circle around the fact that long distance running is a low-intensity cardio exercise that isn't good for you.

I'm going to get back into bulking up this week, but continue with the half marathon training because I'd still like to run one for the challenge. The question is how can I maximize my gains and what exercises do you recommend for leaning out?

I would prefer to have steady gains and keep myself relatively lean.

Fuglydude

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Endurance sports like marathon, and bodybuilding/power/olympic lifting use fundamentally different energy systems. Definitely sounds quite counterproductive to me. Its good to try and stay conditioned as you bulk, but trying to get into shape for a half and bulk simultaneously is a bit over most people's heads...

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother. Not only is it going to be difficult to build muscle while doing so much running, but you're going to have a hell of a time squatting and deadlifting and running so much all at once.

defiancy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
what would be the best cardio to do in order to stay lean while retaining as much muscle mass as possible then?

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
defiancy said:
what would be the best cardio to do in order to stay lean while retaining as much muscle mass as possible then?
Your looking at things the wrong way. If your goal is to perform well in the marathon then you need to train for the marathon and you will lose muscle from doing it.

If you want to add muscle mass then you follow the best plan for that goal. (which doesn't include marathon type training)

You can't do both at the same time.

defiancy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I definitely get everyone's point that you shouldn't pair marathon training with weight training. So I don't need to get that message drilled in my head anymore.

The last question I asked was a slight tangent from the original question. I just wanted to know how I can stay fit...Assuming I don't do marathon training, how can I stay relatively lean while bulking up? I know the vault articles advocate gaining weight and then leaning out later, but I found an old thread with warboss' comment (I think it was him) that it's better to gain slowly. I may be wrong, but just wanted to see that bulking up first is the best way.

I was aiming to bulk up and maintain decent cardiovascular health.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
defiancy said:
I definitely get everyone's point that you shouldn't pair marathon training with weight training. So I don't need to get that message drilled in my head anymore.

The last question I asked was a slight tangent from the original question. I just wanted to know how I can stay fit...Assuming I don't do marathon training, how can I stay relatively lean while bulking up? I know the vault articles advocate gaining weight and then leaning out later, but I found an old thread with warboss' comment (I think it was him) that it's better to gain slowly. I may be wrong, but just wanted to see that bulking up first is the best way.

I was aiming to bulk up and maintain decent cardiovascular health.

give this a read and let me know if you have any questions

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...e_nutrition/a_beginners_guide_to_carb_cycling

Klaus

Don Juan
Reaction score
Bad idea, won't work.

You and your friend have different goals in mind, if you want to get bigger, lay off the cardio a bit it helps.

Long distance running will cause muscle atrophy, not to mention joint damage.

Theres a reason all those joggers you see in town look like skeletor.