Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

BULKING UP FOR SKINNY WIMPS--PART 1

BigManB69

Banned
Reaction score
Perhaps you are tired of getting beaten up. Perhaps you are afraid of taking your shirt off in front of a chick.

But, either way, you are here bcuz you are a skinny bastard/wimp.

But dont worry cuz this is the non bull-sh!t post to bulking up. Its your choice. You can either sit around wishing for the weight to come or you can get off your ass and do something about it.

Now, I have always been a fairly thin guy, not skinny, but thin. I use to be around 5'7 and 134 lbs last month. Now I am at 5'7 145 lbs. with VERY GOOD definition.

Most of my gains have been in the past 4 weeks. By December/January I am going to be 150.

Now, HOW TO BULK:

-Look at DIESELS GUIDE

-EAT EAT EAT. Throw away your potato chips and eat REAL food...veggies, whole wheat bread, eggs, fruit, bananas, yogurt, etc.
Try to consume around 3000 calories a day...Most likely, if you are a skinny bastard, you are in the 110-150 range. SO EAT THOSE CALORIES.

-Cardio a couple times a week..It helps get the LEAN MUSCLE you want and won't make you become sluggish. DO NOT WORRY. Eat a big sandwhich b4 cardio and you will be fine.

-Sleep 6-8 hours per night...Muscle growth occurs OUTSIDE the gym, not while pumping iron.Keep workouts to 3-4 times a week, hour each.

-Work muscle groups together..e.g. Chest/Triceps....Legs/shoulders....Back/Biceps.

-USE COMPLEX LIFTS. Stop trying to build hercules biceps by doing a thousand dumbell curls...Do DEADLIFTS, SQUATS, UPRIGHT ROWS, OVERHAND WIDEGRIP PULLUPS, HYPEREXTENSIONS, etc. Those BIG exercises are what will work the most mucles, not the bicep curls.

See, its not that hard.

Basically, EAT...TRAIN HARD WITH COMPLEX LIFTS, EAT SOME MORE, and GET BIG.

-BigMan

[This message has been edited by BigManB69 (edited 10-30-2002).]

bodybuildin

Don Juan
Reaction score
train hard, but dont overtrain.
eat heaps, dont overlook:
post workout nutrition
before bed

keep reps from 4-8 per set.

i recommend u check out www.ast-ss.com and sign up for their 'MAX-OT' programme

its mad

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
No cardio... dude remove that off your post... cardio=fastest way to kill calories. I lose weight(when doing cardio) faster than a sperm can swim to the egg.

KiLLer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Btw, can't wait for second part. Good post... btw, add DIESAL's link to "Guide to Bulking Up", not many people know it.

misunderstood??

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Personally I think you should aim for more then 6-8 hours of sleep, I think 10 hours would be a better #.

Not to be creul or anything but i think your best peice of advice was to read Diesel's guide. Good post nonetheless man.

BigManB69

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, but Diesel made some points too complicated. I tried to simplify it to basically three things

1. Eat real food..lots of it..3000 calories about.

2. Train about 3 times a week, hour each, exercising muscles together.

3. Resting

I do not feel that one has to take all of the supplements, but that is simply my opinion. I have been getting great results without any powders. Also, I believe one should do cardio a couple times a week, apart from what some people claim. Doing it in the morning b4 breakfast can help build lean muscle mass by getting rid of fat. I like to keep my cardio about 3-4 times a week running up hills and bridges for about 30-40 minutes, a 80 Percent Max heart rate. It builds me up.

Regarding the sleep, 10 hours is way to much for neone who actually has a life. I go to school and have to study about 4 hours a day. I also tutor mathematics three times a week. I am lucky to get 7 hours of sleep, which does me fine.

Flyguy3663

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BigMan aka Machoguy,

I am with you on it man. I definitely think your advice is much more sound and less complicated that the other BULK UP posts. I was gonna do one but its not appreciated anyways lol.

Good work man and keep it going. You'll be 150 by X-mas.. probably even before it

OH and I assume DIESEL meant no cardio for the extreme ecto morphs who could use any extra calories they can get. Say if I bulk and dont do any cardio I will end up with flab on my gut. I'm in the process of a clean bulk tho and its goin great. Got ripped abs and the scale is still moving up..

[This message has been edited by Flyguy3663 (edited 10-31-2002).]

DJKondor

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mansfield woodhouse, nottinghamshire, england
descent post, would have been great for me if i hadnt started along time ago, anyway im sure its useful for all those skinny freaks. and i know one of the main things ive been missing, i only do the cardio when i go to karate, every friday for 2hrs its pretty good and burns alot of fat and builds my muscle at the same time, but i think about 40 mins jogging once a week could help me alot.

Big N

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
First of all, nice post.

I have two beefs though.

1) Cardio. This has already been addressed. Dont do cardio if you want to bulk up.

2) The "real food". I am sick of seeing people recommending fruit. Fruit is bad for you! They are all high in sugar. I will even go so far as to say that eating a bag of chips is better for you than eating a banana, provided you are taking a multivitamin.

Also, you NEED a protein powder in order to glean the maximum amount of muscle from your time in the weightroom. Whey, and even possibly egg, protein powder is faster-absorbing than any protein you can find in non-powder form. I include egg because I think I remember reading that it is the 2nd-fastest absorbing protein, and even if you ate the equivalent amount of protein in real egg-whites you would inevitably consume fat along with those eggs. But if you say egg powder isn't absorbed faster than some foods, I wont argue with you because it is not central to this pro-powder argument.

Also, contrary to popular belief, powders are the cheapest sources of protein (provided you buy online or over the phone).

BigManB69

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Big N:
First of all, nice post.

I have two beefs though.

1) Cardio. This has already been addressed. Dont do cardio if you want to bulk up.

2) The "real food". I am sick of seeing people recommending fruit. Fruit is bad for you! They are all high in sugar. I will even go so far as to say that eating a bag of chips is better for you than eating a banana, provided you are taking a multivitamin.

Also, you NEED a protein powder in order to glean the maximum amount of muscle from your time in the weightroom. Whey, and even possibly egg, protein powder is faster-absorbing than any protein you can find in non-powder form. I include egg because I think I remember reading that it is the 2nd-fastest absorbing protein, and even if you ate the equivalent amount of protein in real egg-whites you would inevitably consume fat along with those eggs. But if you say egg powder isn't absorbed faster than some foods, I wont argue with you because it is not central to this pro-powder argument.

Also, contrary to popular belief, powders are the cheapest sources of protein (provided you buy online or over the phone).

You NEED fruits. First of all, multivitamins are virtually useless. So many different vitamins, each fighting to get absorbed, most all of it doesnt.

DIESEL

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Machoguy,

I wouldn't mind if you had posted something original. But you haven't, rather you've confused the issue a bit, with your incomplete knowledge.

1. Why do you harp on 3000 calories? Not everyone weighs the same. 3000 calories is barely maintenance for someone who wants to bulk from 200 to say 220.

I put the calorie guidelines there for a reason. It's simple multiplication. If you can't figure that out, you shouldn't be training.

2. Your explanation of cardio is bullshyt. Cardio just builds up your body's capacity to transport oxygen. IT ONLY BUILDS UP YOUR HEART AND LUNGS NOT MUSCLE. If you stopped doing cardio you'd be at 150 already.

Once again, Cardio DOES NOT BUILD MUSCLE.

Your little cardio routine is costing you mass.

The gains you think you are seeing is better definition not more mass.

3. Fruit is bull**** for purposes of bulking. Take your multivitamins. Your logic there is flawed too. Don't lots of fruits have lots of vitamins and minerals as well?? It's all the same to the body. Use your calories for something that will actually build muscle, not merely spike your insulin levels. Eat complex carbs instead.

4. I don't understand your aversions to whey protein and the supplements I have outlined. They work, they help you get bigger faster and your body to recover more efficiently. Therefore you should use them. It's only common sense.

To all the readers out there, I hope this clarifies things.

D

BigManB69

Banned
Reaction score
Dieself whatever you want to believe, man. I am not trying to be something that I am not. Cardio helps my heart and lungs, and it makes me feel better and healthier. If someone wants to eliminate cardio completely and turn into an unhealthy slodge, that's there choice.

And regarding the multivitamins, I would rather take my share of fruit. Pills don't provide a person with such things as fiber, which is very important to have. Again, if someone wants to act stupid and not eat fruits and veggies, well then that's their choice.

I, however, would rather be a few pounds lower but healthy and feeling great than some slodge who gulps down bottles of pills and whey protein and never pumps his heart due to fear of losing that 0.2 pound of muscle mass.

blong1068

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by BigManB69:
And regarding the multivitamins, I would rather take my share of fruit. Pills don't provide a person with such things as fiber, which is very important to have. Again, if someone wants to act stupid and not eat fruits and veggies, well then that's their choice.

B]

Actually, there are fiber supplements in pill form, and in powder. I wouldn't doubt if there are some other forms as well.

------------------
Drug offenders do more time than child molestors, rapists, and murderers. Is this justice? Is this the American way?