Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Buddy in distress

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
One of my buds called me. He currently lives in the southwest, so I was a little surprised he called me at work today. I guess he needed to talk with somebody. I didn’t give him any advice.

He is in his early 40s and she is in her mid 40s. Both are attractive people. They have been “dating” exclusively for a year. She has a small grandson and an adult daughter (I believe she might be in her early 20 to mid 20s). His girlfriend lives alone, but her daughter and grandkid lives in the same State.

It appears that in the past he has been supportive of all of them (no money related, but as doing favors, etc.). He has a daughter from a previous marriage and she and he scheduled a weekend to be together (just both of them). Now, his girlfriend’s daughter is moving to another apartment that particular weekend. He found that out last night (he claims that he cannot cancel his meeting with his daughter – which is a minor). His girlfriend understands that he won’t be helping with the move. In fact, he told me that she is not expecting him to help with the move because of his appointment with his child. However, he owns a very nice truck (mint condition, etc.). And she was expecting him to lend her his truck. (I own a truck and I personally don’t care if my girlfriend drives it, but this guy has a truck that looks as good as any luxury car). She wants to drive the truck so her daughter and some of her friends use it for the move. He tells me that he doesn’t mind helping with his truck if he is there. But, he feels very uncomfortable having his truck used by them for the purpose of moving stuff around. Needless to say, his girlfriend is extremely pissed off with him.

I think that in the past, he has helped his ex-wife bring a dresser for his daughter from the furniture store. His girlfriend knows that. But he tells me that it is not the same to pick something from the store than to have his truck used all day for a move. He also told me that he feels that going the extra mile for his daughter (which is a child) and doing that for a woman that is an adult and has several male friends is not the same. And he feels he is unfairly expected to provide support for his girlfriends adult daughter.

He tells me that when he told his girlfriend that he has helped them in the past…then his girlfriend replied that the "past is the past and now we are in the present". He told me some of the favors that he has done and quite honestly, he has done more than I would personally do under the same circumstances. She also told him that “her baby (the mid 20s daughter) needs help” and that is something her "boyfriend should do for me [her]".

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Another thing that bothered him (and caught my attention) is that they were babysitting their grandson one weekend (I think her daughter was working). The boy had soccer practice and she asked my bud if he wanted to go. He replied that he rather stay at home resting. She was very upset with him telling him that this was her grandson's first practice and that she and the boy needed HIS (my bud’s) support. He decided to go. But when he went there, her best friend (female) was also there. So, both women were talking, while he was there practically by himself. He feels she overreacted. He also feels it was not his duty to provide support for that boy, that if anything, that should be something one of the guys dating the mom of the child (girlfriend's daughter) should do.

When I asked about their communication stuff. He told me they communicate well. But recently she asked him to sit down and they talked about some minor issue (I guess she was upset because he didn’t call one day or some stupid stuff). He said that he felt sympathetic. But when he started talking about how he felt about other things, she reacted with the “I don’t want to talk about this anymore…I’m tired”.

He has told me some very nice things about his girlfriend in the past. He told me some nice things today too. So, I’m simply sharing the issues that appear to be bothering him. She seems to help him in a lot of things and tend to be supportive. He is very supportive too. But when I hear things like the ones above it makes me wonder if I should give him advice. The issue with the Truck is one that is bothering him. I agree with him...that's not a truck to leave with a bunch of "movers".

I look at all this and I personally feel like if he was dating a Single Mother. And that he is unfairly expected to fulfill the role of a “granddad” and “father” (for an adult woman). I sense his girlfriend’s daughter is very dependent of her mom. And if a woman in her mid 20s (with a child of her own) is too dependent, then I seriously doubt he will ever take the #1 spot in her mother's eyes.

MY QUESTION

What the mature men in this Forum think? I was going to send him to this place…but I changed my mind. I also believe that he might be considering marrying her too.

Sometimes the role of a bud is to listen...without giving advice. But, should I give him some? If so...what should be that advice? What insights should I provide him given the information on hand?

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I smell a sh!t test.

Tell your buddy that at 40 he should be hitting it with younger women, not older women who became single mommies in their teens or early 20's only to have their daughters follow in their footsteps and become grandmas in their 40s. One would think this would be self-evident to a mature, previously married, 40+ year old man with a child himself.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rollo Tomassi said:
I smell a sh!t test.

Tell your buddy that at 40 he should be hitting it with younger women, not older women who became single mommies in their teens or early 20's only to have their daughters follow in their footsteps and become grandmas in their 40s. One would think this would be self-evident to a mature, previously married, 40+ year old man with a child himself.
I agree.

But...you know how buddies are. Sometimes they can get pissed off at you if you tell them "facts". As you can see with some of my posts...I tend to be blunt. I can be like that with many people. A close friend (that is older too)? Very very risky.

Problem is...he didn't ask me for advice either.

He might get very offended if I say something like what you just wrote (which by the way, I agree with it).

KarmaSutra

Banned
Reaction score
Padron Reserve maduro in hand while finishing my b
I concur.

"Bud" is being leashed around by this broad. With a woman the same age as him he'll be picking up Pampers for the grandkid and Depends for her. He needs to walk from the whole deal and turn her in for a coupla' 20 year old T-back clad college girls who yearn for fun,especially with a stable guy with a luxury truck.

Her tests are just the start of a hellish climb to the top of Mount Doom. Her daughter is nothing but a mirror of the future.

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What the mature men in this Forum think?
He handed his balls over to her on a silver platter a long time ago. He said "Yes" to her too much and spoiled her. Now, when he gives her a "no" answer, the spoiled b1tch throws a temper tantrum. She no longer has respect for him.

It's not his duty to be volunteered for anything. Him, not her, should be the one who makes the decisions of what he's going to do. It's his life; he should have full control over it. Unfortunately, he's allowing her to have control of it.

MacAvoy

Banned
Reaction score
Desdinova said:
He handed his balls over to her on a silver platter a long time ago. He said "Yes" to her too much and spoiled her. Now, when he gives her a "no" answer, the spoiled b1tch throws a temper tantrum. She no longer has respect for him.
That's exactly what I was going to say. He has given up the power in the relationship. He has to take it back with a vengeance. Not only does he have to say NO, he has to tell her to hit the road if she doesn't like it. You can give him all the advice you want but my money is on him giving her the truck. You have to ask him if he wants your real advice or the sugar coated version. I'd wait till the relationship goes sour then point him here. If you bring him here now, its just going to be another one of those but she's different, she's so special : puke :

The vegas line is 5:2 that he'll be like this with his truck :flowers:

Any takers?

Vulpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
MY QUESTION

What the mature men in this Forum think? I was going to send him to this place…but I changed my mind. I also believe that he might be considering marrying her too.

Sometimes the role of a bud is to listen...without giving advice. But, should I give him some? If so...what should be that advice? What insights should I provide him given the information on hand?
I am going to offer that you buddy is obviously an idiot. Trucks are not cars, they are trucks. Trucks are meant to move things, haul things, and get beat up. Your buddy has a truck that he uses as a car - why didn't he get a car to use as a car? Better gas mileage, better handling, safer, more comfortable, faster... your buddy is unquestionably an idiot.

So, consider that same stupidity in the rest of his life: He's in a stupid relationship, handles himself stupidly, and accepts and promotes stupid treatment. I'm sure he's friendly and personable, he probably is a good friend, but, you can't fix stupid. This site won't help him one bit.

One thing I've learned is that I can't advise people on how to go about being stupid... I can't relate and don't have enough experience. Your buddy probably isn't bright enough to recognize and admit he's being an idiot - this is true stupidity, and it is bliss.

It's hard to watch, I feel for you man. You just can't run his life for him. If you can do ANYTHING, it is sit him down and have him list things that HE doesn't like. Ask him thought provoking questions and lead him to list as many stupid things as possible. Then, tell him to really think hard about those things. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. He won't have a problem with solutions if he arrives at them himself. You better have a lot of patience.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Desdinova said:

It's not his duty to be volunteered for anything. Him, not her, should be the one who makes the decisions of what he's going to do. It's his life; he should have full control over it. Unfortunately, he's allowing her to have control of it.
EXACTLY!

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's hard to watch, I feel for you man. You just can't run his life for him. If you can do ANYTHING, it is sit him down and have him list things that HE doesn't like. Ask him thought provoking questions and lead him to list as many stupid things as possible. Then, tell him to really think hard about those things. You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink. He won't have a problem with solutions if he arrives at them himself. You better have a lot of patience.
That's actually a good idea. I don't think I have the patience to do something like that with him. For starters, only way to communicate with him is via telephone. Also, I get in a bad mood when I see men getting taken advantage off AND not wanting to listen. But it is worth a try. Lead him to his own conclusions.

I think he actually has two cars and a motorcycle in addition to that truck. But he keeps his vehicles in great shape. I sense he simply doesn't want her driving his stuff. LOL.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MacAvoy said:
If you bring him here now, its just going to be another one of those but she's different, she's so special : puke :

The vegas line is 5:2 that he'll be like this with his truck :flowers:

Any takers?

I can see that happening if she puts more pressure. If he does...I would personally be very disapointed with him. In fact, I would lose respect.

Slickster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is a silly and childish problem.....

C'mon if your buddy doesn't want her using his truck he simply says so! That's it! Sorry no truck for you!

Get a rental for the day. Problem solved.

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
well he is obviously and AFC - and there is not easy answer. Either he learns how to be a man and not supplicate to some *****y old maid, or he stays the way he is.

It's not like you can just tell him that this one thing is wrong and this one thing is right. Either you let him make his AFC mistakes, or you show him the way to understand the whole picture.

Latinoman

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Egoist said:
well he is obviously and AFC - and there is not easy answer. Either he learns how to be a man and not supplicate to some *****y old maid, or he stays the way he is.

It's not like you can just tell him that this one thing is wrong and this one thing is right. Either you let him make his AFC mistakes, or you show him the way to understand the whole picture.
I agree with all your guys. I was trying to figure out how I could help him by showing the light. I didn't know if inviting him here was a solution (somebody pointed out it was too early). I know I don't have too much patience and it would be a matter of time before I start becoming "blunt" with him, potentially hindering our trust.

But I like the "leading the horse to the water" approach. Then let him see the light on his own.

What amazes me is that this guy can attract women in their 20s! So, I don't understand why he has to deal with this issue. If it makes him unhappy...then he should do what I've been telling others in here (other threads). But I've noticed that it is easier to give that advice here (where I don't risk losing any friends) than actually giving it to a friend. I feel 40s is such a mature age as to be wasting time with the AFC behavior. I mean...he is risking wasting 4 or 5 years and next time you know....you are in your 50s!

Egoist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Latinoman said:
I agree with all your guys. I was trying to figure out how I could help him by showing the light. I didn't know if inviting him here was a solution (somebody pointed out it was too early). I know I don't have too much patience and it would be a matter of time before I start becoming "blunt" with him, potentially hindering our trust.

But I like the "leading the horse to the water" approach. Then let him see the light on his own.

What amazes me is that this guy can attract women in their 20s! So, I don't understand why he has to deal with this issue. If it makes him unhappy...then he should do what I've been telling others in here (other threads). But I've noticed that it is easier to give that advice here (where I don't risk losing any friends) than actually giving it to a friend. I feel 40s is such a mature age as to be wasting time with the AFC behavior. I mean...he is risking wasting 4 or 5 years and next time you know....you are in your 50s!

is he the reading kind? cause there are a few books that will point him in the right direction..

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If there's one thing I've learned about giving AFCs advice (who don't want to read this site) is you can't help an AFC who doesn't want help. You'll end up learning this the hard way. I've given up pulling my hair out over my friends.

The best time to teach an AFC anything is when he gets dropped on his ass. That's the only time they *might* listen to dating and relationship advice. However, there's still no guarantees.

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LATINOMAN: I'm of the opinion that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink, and you cannot teach those unwilling to learn. Do you think that even your explaining to him his situation will effect a change? Or will he predictably try to bolster his own predicament by playing up her "positive' qualities since his scarcity mentality (at 40) mandates he put up with her demands and behaviors in order to maintain what he perceives is his only choice for female intimacy?

It's very hard to free a mind from the Matrix after a certain age. Is this guy ready to hear what you have to say? I run into this problem constantly. If you discourage your friend from smoking and later it saves his life from emphasema you're a hero. If you help you friend rehab off of heroin you're a saint, but if you advise him against marrying a woman you know will destroy his life in the long term, you're a meddling busy-body with nothing better to do than stick your nose where it doesn't belong.

I've been down this road many times. You have to keep picking away at him to lay the groundwork and wait for opportunities where he's in doubt or frustrated with his relationship to wake him up.

CompleteControl

Don Juan
Reaction score
Invite your friend to come visit. Pick up 2 hb's in their early 20's and bang them all night long. When they leave in the morning with their hair all messed up and their nice clothes all wrinkled turn to your friend and say " why don't you go see if they need to borrow your truck". (A polite way of saying "if you weren't such a AFC pusssy you could be enjoying your life a lot more and on your terms)

Boschy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, sounds like your friend needs a paradigm shift in his thinking about women and life. Advice over the phone won't do that, which is why you probably considered sending him here...a good idea if he's a reader and patient about using the Internet, but otherwise...hmm. Perhaps send him one of the Be A Man books instead.

Still, I like CompleteControl's more, erm, hands-on approach much better, heh heh. Nothing better for breaking someone out of his 'current mindset'. :D

ElChoclo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
He needs to adequately communicate that his truck is a sacred object, to be venerated, not used for furniture moving. But seriously the best option is for him to arrange a rental truck. That way, if they have some psychological problem about renting one he will hold the logical high ground. Even if he has to pay himself.

Sure he has gone down the doormat path, but his bid for freedom should start at a different point, otherwise he will look like he is being petty about a truck. I can think of a similar incident which I heard about involving borrowing a trailer. The ramifications were all out of proportion to the borrowing. Because, the failure to lend will have attached to it, all sorts of psychological trauma- he doesn't care about them, he loves his truck more etc.

Yes make an assertive move, but don't make the truck incident into the decisive battle of the wills. Gradual ease out of the situation.