Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Brutal - Can't get past first date

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So I am starting this thread in the hopes that I can get some pointers to help get past the first date. Lately, I have been plagued with a streak of bad luck on first dates. In fact, I think it has been over 1 year since I have had a second date and even in that situation it didn't work out for one reason or another. Its all very discouraging and has completely wrecked my self confidence. It took me 3 months to get two dates- one date left as soon as she saw me. A few weekends ago, I had what seemed like a good date but she has flaked twice so far. Maybe a few fellow posters can tell me where I am going wrong here.

Background - I am in shape, 34, close to 6'. My job is decent. Lately I have been putting a lot of time into my own projects so I do not have much free time. I do not do "social" activities like group sports more than once per week.

Where I meet dates Mostly online dating sites. Sometimes I get numbers at the bar. Numbers from the bar seldom result in meeting up a second time.

On the Date- I like to talk about intellectual things. This might come off as too serious and not light hearted enough in conversation. While the dates are never awkward, I find them sometimes boring. I sometimes talk about myself, and this could be a major turn off?

After the date/texts I usually try and send texts to meet up on weekends. I do not think my texting is needy, but it seems that I sometimes send more messages than I receive and have worked on not doing this. I have tried two approaches to no avail - one is to trying and get a date , and another is to remain aloof. Neither work for second dates and always result in never chatting with them again.

Running out of options I seem to be good at getting random sex, but getting a second date under normal circumstances is vexing me. I literally feel cursed at how little luck I have had trying to get women who are interested in meeting up a second time. It is not as if the first dates go horribly - in some instances they seem genuinely interested. Now, self confidence is clearly playing a factor and I am starting to channel that lack into anger and disgust.

Please ask questions and give me the worst tasting medicine you can imagine. This problem won't get any better by hearing pleasant truths ,and I need to change.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like they're getting bored.

Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (CLICK HERE for a condensed version)

Let that be a guide of how to talk to her on the first date.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
taiyuu_otoko said:
Sounds like they're getting bored.

Read "How to Win Friends and Influence People" (CLICK HERE for a condensed version)

Let that be a guide of how to talk to her on the first date.
Strike one for me - I have already read that. And to your point, it is a great book on making and keeping friends...which I have plenty of. Much of the advice in that book makes good sense, and really does work. But maybe it sounds like it could be applied more on first dates? I will give it a try.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
Strike one for me - I have already read that. And to your point, it is a great book on making and keeping friends...which I have plenty of. Much of the advice in that book makes good sense, and really does work. But maybe it sounds like it could be applied more on first dates? I will give it a try.
Long time ago, I took the 12 week course, taught by the Dale Carnegie foundation, based on that book.

At the time I had started dating this girl, and there was one another guy who was using the techniques we learned in the course on some of the girls HE was dating (most everybody else was there for business).

Both of us were flabbergasted now natural a fit those techniques were for the dating world.

Every week we'd talk a bit before class and we literally felt like we'd discovered some secret alchemy or something, based on the results we'd gotten the previous week.

nismo-4

Reaction score
From New Orleans, Louisiana to Atlanta, Georgia!!!
Your ability to get a second date from an online girl depends on her IL in you and how attractive you are to her. You aren't getting second dates because of several of these factors:

1. She likes your company and attention, but doesn't find you attractive.

2. She wanted you as a friend or beta orbiter and you tried to get physical, which of course repulsed her.

3. You aren't better than her other options.

4. She had nothing better to do or is a tease/ attention wh0re.

5. You did or said something to turn her off.

6. You were a bore.

It's among those lines.

ZTIME

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
So I am starting this thread in the hopes that I can get some pointers to help get past the first date. Lately, I have been plagued with a streak of bad luck on first dates. In fact, I think it has been over 1 year since I have had a second date and even in that situation it didn't work out for one reason or another. Its all very discouraging and has completely wrecked my self confidence. It took me 3 months to get two dates- one date left as soon as she saw me. A few weekends ago, I had what seemed like a good date but she has flaked twice so far. Maybe a few fellow posters can tell me where I am going wrong here. There are so many posters on here talking about their self confidence levels dropping based on the reaction or non reaction of a female. WTF is going on? Are you showing a needy/un confident side on these 1st dates....Maybe. But please stop over valuing a second date so much!

Background - I am in shape, 34, close to 6'. My job is decent. Lately I have been putting a lot of time into my own projects so I do not have much free time. This is where your self confidence should come from! It's called "SELF CONFIDENCE" for a reason! I do not do "social" activities like group sports more than once per week. Increasing your social activities would lead you to more quality women who would generally be good 2nd date material seeing that they share some of your interests.

Where I meet dates Mostly online dating sites. Tried this based on some of the advice given here. It's a crap shoot! And this is where you have to establish if you and your date share any interests. (ie. no second date) Sometimes I get numbers at the bar. Numbers from the bar seldom result in meeting up a second time. Don't ask for girls #'s. Talk and have a great time and they'll offer. If they don't they probably would never answer your call. There # is an invitation for an exit. You may have already experienced this. I use business cards. I'll say "(insert name") It was great talking to you, but I've got some other people I need to say hi to. We should talk again sometime here, call me to set something up."

On the Date- I like to talk about intellectual things. Try leading the conversation by asking her questions about her and what she does, and really listen.If it gets intellectual, fine, although you may find you're not finding too many intellectual women on Match or POF. This might come off as too serious and not light hearted enough in conversation. While the dates are never awkward, I find them sometimes boring. I sometimes talk about myself, and this could be a major turn off? Huge turnoff!! You ask her the questions and listen. If she wants to know something about you, she'll ask! Conversations just work that way and chicks love to talk about themselves!

After the date/texts I usually try and send texts to meet up on weekends. I do not think my texting is needy, but it seems that I sometimes send more messages than I receive and have worked on not doing this. I get my best results with a single text like: "Hey, going out with a few friends Saturday, You In? If I get no response I never ever text again! I have tried two approaches to no avail - one is to trying and get a date , and another is to remain aloof. Neither work for second dates and always result in never chatting with them again. Text rule works well here also.

Running out of options I seem to be good at getting random sex, but getting a second date under normal circumstances is vexing me. I literally feel cursed at how little luck I have had trying to get women who are interested in meeting up a second time. It is not as if the first dates go horribly - in some instances they seem genuinely interested. Now, self confidence is clearly playing a factor and I am starting to channel that lack into anger and disgust. Let go of the anger and disgust! It just shows that you put way to much emotional value into women and gives you a weaker approach because of it. Be the prize they're winning! Not vice versa.

Please ask questions and give me the worst tasting medicine you can imagine. This problem won't get any better by hearing pleasant truths ,and I need to change.
Don't know if that's the worst tasting medicine, but seeing as I'm actively on the dating scene right now I figured I'd tell you what seems to work for me if I was in your situation.

Whatever you do in life, have fun doing it.

ChrisFloyd

Banned
Reaction score
"Where I meet dates Mostly online dating sites. Sometimes I get numbers at the bar. Numbers from the bar seldom result in meeting up a second time" :D

Kailex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
I seem to be good at getting random sex, but getting a second date under normal circumstances is vexing me.
I know this seems like the obvious question... but why not just focus on getting random sex then?

You seem to have a problem most men on this forum would LOVE to have.

Who cares about the second date if you can get the random sex. I just think your problem is you are trying so hard to impress on the first date because you want to have a second date versus just trying to have fun on the first date and letting them qualify for you so that they can get a second date with you.

Just have fun. Be in the moment. Who cares about the second date when you are on the first one?

Infern0

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
So I am starting this thread in the hopes that I can get some pointers to help get past the first date. Lately, I have been plagued with a streak of bad luck on first dates. In fact, I think it has been over 1 year since I have had a second date and even in that situation it didn't work out for one reason or another. Its all very discouraging and has completely wrecked my self confidence. It took me 3 months to get two dates- one date left as soon as she saw me. A few weekends ago, I had what seemed like a good date but she has flaked twice so far. Maybe a few fellow posters can tell me where I am going wrong here.

Background - I am in shape, 34, close to 6'. My job is decent. Lately I have been putting a lot of time into my own projects so I do not have much free time. I do not do "social" activities like group sports more than once per week.

Where I meet dates Mostly online dating sites. Sometimes I get numbers at the bar. Numbers from the bar seldom result in meeting up a second time.

On the Date- I like to talk about intellectual things. This might come off as too serious and not light hearted enough in conversation. While the dates are never awkward, I find them sometimes boring. I sometimes talk about myself, and this could be a major turn off?

After the date/texts I usually try and send texts to meet up on weekends. I do not think my texting is needy, but it seems that I sometimes send more messages than I receive and have worked on not doing this. I have tried two approaches to no avail - one is to trying and get a date , and another is to remain aloof. Neither work for second dates and always result in never chatting with them again.

Running out of options I seem to be good at getting random sex, but getting a second date under normal circumstances is vexing me. I literally feel cursed at how little luck I have had trying to get women who are interested in meeting up a second time. It is not as if the first dates go horribly - in some instances they seem genuinely interested. Now, self confidence is clearly playing a factor and I am starting to channel that lack into anger and disgust.

A couple of quick points, don't talk about yourself too much, you should be asking good quality questions and letting the women talk about themselves, it's what they love

Second, leave it at least a week to call for the second date. But tbh if you did a good job on the first she will be calling you

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been very much stuck in this same scenario for the past 7 months. I made a thread about it here and got some good suggestions:

http://www.sosuave.net/forum/showthread.php?t=226280

I ended up taking Bible Belt's advice to heart. I need to give the woman a variety of topics that move her feelings to multiple ends of the emotional scale.

I recently met a woman at a bonfire and added her to my FB. I did nothing with her for about a month, and a couple weeks ago I began messaging her. I've been moving her all around the emotional scale with our conversations while not being negative. If I mentioned something about my past that was a bit sad, I would follow it up with something positive. It seems to have worked because I have a date for next Thursday :)

If you're finding the dates boring, she most likely is as well. Although you like having intellectual conversations, this is not what you should be doing on a first date when securing a somewhat stable IL is critical. Hold off on highly intellectual conversations until you've been seeing her for a couple of months.

LiveFreeX

Banned
Reaction score
Do stuff you like... I play video games and make balloon animals. At first I had a bunch of *****es tell me I was weird or a loser and walk away... eventually I found one that wanted to play WITH me.

If you like intellectual conversations about Unupentium matter conversions, go pick up women at the coffee shop outside the LHC. Ghetto chicken heads don't even know where to find America on a map. Date Asian girls at top tier universities, their whole lives have been spent in books. Finally, if you are pursuing intellectual conversations with women, you probably aren't getting the stimulation you need from the outside world, might be time for a job change or acquire another hobby. My friends talk non stop about Magic card strategies and ways to buff their decks... at the end of the day, that is the last thing I want to talk about with my wife.

synergy1

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LiveFreeX said:
Do stuff you like... I play video games and make balloon animals. At first I had a bunch of *****es tell me I was weird or a loser and walk away... eventually I found one that wanted to play WITH me.

If you like intellectual conversations about Unupentium matter conversions, go pick up women at the coffee shop outside the LHC. Ghetto chicken heads don't even know where to find America on a map. Date Asian girls at top tier universities, their whole lives have been spent in books. Finally, if you are pursuing intellectual conversations with women, you probably aren't getting the stimulation you need from the outside world, might be time for a job change or acquire another hobby. My friends talk non stop about Magic card strategies and ways to buff their decks... at the end of the day, that is the last thing I want to talk about with my wife.
It is difficult to precisely describe what my conversations are about because there is a whole range of things that probably are awful to talk about on dates. I do not ( or do not think) I talk about those things. I actually keep it pretty simple, and don't try to be confusing at all.

don't talk about yourself too much, you should be asking good quality questions and letting the women talk about themselves, it's what they love

Agreed here, so on my last date I changed it up and had her do a lot of the talking. It seemed to go pretty well. She seemed interested at the end, and I even decided to pose an action date for the next one.

I recently met a woman at a bonfire and added her to my FB. I did nothing with her for about a month, and a couple weeks ago I began messaging her. I've been moving her all around the emotional scale with our conversations while not being negative.

This is a new angle. I usually space out conversations to roughly a couple of times per week leading up to a date on the weekend. However, it seems maybe spacing it out a couple of weeks, and changing up the conversation material is in order and I will try that.

Just to fill everyone in, I went on a date with someone I really was into last weekend. Felt that I played it pretty well - had her doing a lot of the conversation, she seemed comfortable, was laughing and what not. She even went for a kiss and who am I to stop that? haha. Overall, it felt like a pretty solid effort. However, ( and this is where my mind is playing tricks on me), I feel like its going to mess up again just like always.

So for now, no real conversation until setting up the next date. Any other suggestions would be appreciated :)