Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bride of Frankenstein

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone ever see this? This is my favorite of the old Universal monster movies. Even though I'm more of a Bela Lugosi fan, this is the best of the lot IMO. It's got the classic scene with the blind hermit (parodied in Young Frankenstein). This is a case where the sequel is better than the original.

Anyway, what I find interesting in relation to SoSuave is the reaction of the Bride to the monster. He was quite eager for her to be created as a wife for him to end his loneliness. But I guess he wasn't Tom Brady handsome, because she reacts in horror of him. In fact, if anything, she seems to prefer Dr. Frankenstein - she seems comfortable with him and goes to him instinctively. You might even say she shows some hypergamy. Just goes to show, you can't count on a woman's reaction for a happy ending.

Boris Karloff said he didn't like the idea of the monster learning to talk, but I love those scenes. I'm also in favor of The Hulk talking, by the way.
This movie was made in 1935, but Dr. Pretorius is an early example of a gender blending type of character, he's noticeably "flamboyant". The director, James Whale, was homosexual. I don't say this to promote it, just giving out some facts.

There's also a bizarre opening scene featuring Mary Shelley, Percy Shelley, and Lord Byron talking about Mary's creation. If you've never seen it, I recommend it (if you like this sort of thing). It's a classic. When I first saw this as a kid I didn't know who played the Bride because the credits said "The Bride......?", but that's childhood for you, because it's ridiculously obvious.

It's too bad they didn't make a series of Dracula movies with Lugosi (they didn't because his English wasn't very good, but he steals the show as Ygor in the third and fourth Frankenstein movies). They had John Carradine play the Count afterwards, but it wasn't the same.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's interesting - I've never seen it. I used to really be into these old monster movies, especially the Wolf Man.

You mentioned the Hulk, which reminded me that there's a scene in the pilot of the 70s Incredible Hulk show where the monster comes across a young girl sitting by a river. I'm pretty sure he turns back into Dr. Banner in front of her, but it's an obvious homage to Frankenstein.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's interesting - I've never seen it. I used to really be into these old monster movies, especially the Wolf Man.
Oh yeah, I liked the Wolf Man too. He was in several of those. He had that poem the old gypsy would recite. I didn't care for that remake with Benicio Del Toro.

By the way, Frankenstein was an inspiration for the creation of the Hulk, according to Stan Lee (may he rest in peace).

If you do ever watch Bride, take note of the music. Around the time they create her, the music gets more feminine (for lack of a better word). She has her own theme.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I first saw this as a kid I didn't know who played the Bride because the credits said "The Bride......?", but that's childhood for you, because it's ridiculously obvious.
By the way, what did you mean by this? I looked up the actress but am not familiar with her.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
By the way, what did you mean by this? I looked up the actress but am not familiar with her.
If you watch the movie, you'll see what I mean. But if you don't mind spoilers, I will tell you. Some people don't like spoilers, so thought I would ask first.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The recent Tom Cruise mummy movie was supposed to be the first in many in a "dark universe" like marvel and dc. They were supposedly going to make all those old black and white ones. Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Creature from Black Lagoon, etc. but the mummy sucked so they cancelled all those plans.

My most memorable scene in the Frankenstein was when he chucked that little girl in the lake. That was pretty shocking from a kid's perspective.

This is a pretty decent Frankenstein remake, on Amazon Prime:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4086032/

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The recent Tom Cruise mummy movie was supposed to be the first in many in a "dark universe" like marvel and dc. They were supposedly going to make all those old black and white ones. Frankenstein, Dracula, Wolfman, Creature from Black Lagoon, etc. but the mummy sucked so they cancelled all those plans.
Dracula Untold was also part of that series.

I've seen a lot of variations on Frankenstein, but I haven't seen the one you mentioned. Most of them are awful. I didn't think "Victor Frankenstein" was too bad. Oddly, it's from 2015, the same year as the one you mentioned.

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Try out Penny Dreadful.

Some interesting twist to the story on the bride of frankenstien.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Try out Penny Dreadful.
Thanks for the tip, I've thought about watching that before. Never got around to it.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I liked the Wolf Man too. He was in several of those. He had that poem the old gypsy would recite. I didn't care for that remake with Benicio Del Toro.

By the way, Frankenstein was an inspiration for the creation of the Hulk, according to Stan Lee (may he rest in peace).
The Hulk seemed like an amalgam of Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and the Wolf Man to some extent. I can see the "unloved monster" angle of Frankenstein. I loved the 70s show - it was basically the Fugitive meets Jekyll/Hyde, but there was always some moral to the story and it was weirdly grounded in reality outside of the Hulk himself. No super villains, just everyday a$$holes, lol.

As for the Wolf Man, I loved the Lon Chaney Jr. version. The makeup was a little silly but it was a cool movie. I also loved An American Werewolf In London. Wolf (Jack Nicholson) was terrible. There was also a show called Werewolf very briefly; it was on the Fox network around the time it first launched. As a kid I thought it was awesome.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
As for the Wolf Man, I loved the Lon Chaney Jr. version. The makeup was a little silly but it was a cool movie. I also loved An American Werewolf In London. Wolf (Jack Nicholson) was terrible. There was also a show called Werewolf very briefly; it was on the Fox network around the time it first launched. As a kid I thought it was awesome.
I won't ask what you thought of Twilight, lol.
But I loved those old black and white monster movies, they had so much atmosphere to them, gothic I guess you call it.

I like the scene in Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man at the beginning, where the grave robbers are trying to steal from Larry Talbot's grave, and the full moon falls on his corpse, and he turns into the Wolf Man. Very cool. Lon Chaney Jr. always played him with so much angst lol.