Boxing vs Kickboxing

Shiftkey

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Between two equally trained and athletic individuals, the kickboxer would win because he has superior reach with his legs. But the better option is to cross train in both.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Shiftkey said:
Between two equally trained and athletic individuals, the kickboxer would win because he has superior reach with his legs. But the better option is to cross train in both.
That's arguable, since the kickboxer is more used to getting hit often, rather than getting hit hard, which could lead him to KO within two punches by an equally trained boxer. HOWEVER, if it's a passive boxer, which means that he usually plays his matches by waiting, avoiding hits and making matches last long, then the kickboxer has an advantage, because he could easily surprise the boxer with a fast kick, while he looks out for a punch.

However, if we are talking about something like a high school fight, IMO the boxer has an advantage. I mean, I'd prefer to get hit by a kick of Jerome Le Banner's rather than a punch of Tyson's.

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
Adone said:
I mean, I'd prefer to get hit by a kick of Jerome Le Banner's rather than a punch of Tyson's.
Agreed, though i think mirko's left high kick would be worse again. Apart from Mark Hunt he has virtually knocked everyone out with one blow when connecting properly with that high kick to the head!

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gWOZ3WIzM

This is the fight between Vitor Belfort (boxer) and Wandrei Silva (Muay Thai)

Wandrei Silva was at one point considered one of the best P4P fighters in the world.

Watch what happens between these pros and lets hear the comments!

TheHoff

Banned
Reaction score
Jayer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2gWOZ3WIzM

Wandrei Silva was at one point considered one of the best P4P fighters in the world.

he still is!! he is the current middleweight champion in pride, nice fight though. Rumor has it, UFC are trying to sign him from pride. If so, his fight with chuck will be awesome

vagrant

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i'd prefer boxing over kickboxing. like bruce lee once said, “I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.” boxers are dangerous to be messing around with. first of all they're not even afraid to hit you so you won't even see it coming when they do.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
geoff thompson, a renowned 'street' martial artist wrote a book about his experiences as a bouncer in some of the worst clubs/pubs in england.

he says boxing is the best, since most fights take place (or at least start) at about 18 inches apart. the punch is the quickest and best way to go for a KO. kicks are best when the guy is on the ground. thompson ends most fights
in a few seconds with one shot to the chin.

im a boxer and a bit biased, though i have practiced elbows and occasionally knees. ive done brief freestyle sparring, and found i won the stand-up easily but was clueless in a clinch or on the ground.

on the streets, you dont wan tto be on the ground, it drags out too long and he might have some friends nearby ready to stomp on your head.

the punch is the best, elbwos are good too. a crash course for kicking when he's down and wrestling is in order, in case you dofnt ko him early and it ends in a clinch.

6-heads lewis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
lets not forget ufc is not a steet fight saimulator. on the stret you arent allowed to go 5 minutes without interrutpion. you do not start 20 feet apart have a huge deal of free space. its not 1v1.

the best thing to learn is stret fighting. ball-kicking, suckerpunching, posturing (pretending your friends then hitting while hes disarmed or acting really crazy and violent to scare him), headbutting, using weapons. also controlling adrenaline fear.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
TheHoff said:
Adone, theres a link from wikipedia, clearly stating Muay thai can be reffered to as a form of kickboxing: haha

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kickboxing

You can't base yourself on Wikipedia definitions. However, in that very page, it's said that "Kickboxing has its roots in Muay Thai". Which clearly implies that Muay Thai CANNOT be a part of Kickboxing, if any it's the contrary.

Unregistered

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Vitor started out in BJJ. He fought Wanderlei in 1998. He fought his professional boxing debut in 2006.

Secondly, even if you can call him a boxer, he lost to Chuck Liddell, who is primarily a kickboxer, so the point is irrelevent.