Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Boxing Conditioning

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've decided to lose the remaining excess muscle I have and get back into boxing. I did it before for a short while, but this time I'm serious about it, sooo:

I was wondering what would be a solid program for getting myself ready for the ring.

*hunts clooney down* this is your area of expertice ;P

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Surely if you've boxed before you know how to train. What weight do you want to fight at? If you need to lose weight you'l want to focus more on keeping the strength and losing the bulk.

Do plyos more than TUT type weight training. More endurance and speed, less weight.

Bag/pad work, sparring, circuits and roadwork.

Have you been watching that channel 5 program? I suspect that's got a few lads back in the gym.

I think boxing is extremely tough at any level because at the end of the day when you are in the ring if you are not prepared properly, boy do you pay the price.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I was hoping for a list of pylos, I guess I'm just getting lazy as the days go on ;)

Actually, I've been thinking of going for the royal marines if my uni course doesnt work out [I'm losing motivation and feel some physical work would suit me better], although on some level I expect boxing academy has tempted me back into training.

I'm aiming for around 68KG. I want to be the strongest I can be pound for pound, and weight training isnt the easiest way to do that ;)

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Weights are good, if you train for speed and power.

Benches with med/heavy. weight focus on acceleration at the start and bring the weight down under control but not with resistance.

Chins where you accelerate off the bar.

Power cleans

Power wide grip upright rows

And of course bunny hops, standing jumps/chalk mark test.

As you know the power comes from the hips and also core work is important. Drop direct bicep work to increase speed.

I'm sure your studies will come good. The marines would be a good option, why not consider a commission. Trouble is, as you know, it's not like it used to be.

There were lots of places to go on 6month jollies and if you were into sport it was great. Nowadays there is much more strain on the system with less people and more commitments.

A mate of mine says everyones leaving because there are lots of good civvy jobs and it's crap. But I'd still say go for it if you are an adventure minded person.

S0LID

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skip till you drop.

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
After all the stuff I've helped people with in this forum
As much as I appreciate your help, I just don't have a clue about boxing training. But do you really want to take up a sport that can damage your looks and your brain? Then again, it's a better choice than giving your brain to the marines.

So, what has brought on this decision anyway?

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by DJBen

*hunts clooney down* this is your area of expertice ;P
LOL, whenever I see boxing in the thread title, you know Ill be here! :D

haha. As far as training, to loose the excess fat and be P4P your strongest. Do a lot of roadwork, run both interval sprints, 100, 200 and 400 metres a couple times a week. Go for some long runs varying the pace a couple of times a week also. Do your skipping about 10 minutes when u first get to the gym. Amateur or pro? For the rest, if pro, train 3 minute rounds, if amateur train 2 minutes. Jump around the ring to loosen up after skipping and shadow box in the ring for about 4 rounds. Do work (more shadowboxing), infront of the mirror for a few more rounds. Then heavybags, speedball and foor to ceiling for a few rounds each. Do your sparring and definately do weight training, this is a must. There are certain excersises to do. Wait here is a link to some good advice....it includes strength, clinch and ab workouts.

http://www.secondsout.com/Ringside/training.cfm?ccs=355&cs=9834

That is pretty much my reigime....good luck buddy and make sure to let me know how it goes!

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have anymore questions, dont hesitate to fire away.

Jariel, lol, boxing is a great sport. I have boxed for years and years, loosing count (must be the brain damage), lol, kidding. Must be about 8 years by now. And I am still pretty as hell! haha, although I have seen a lot of friends noses etc get busted up, mine is still unscathed. Some of the prettiest guys around are boxers!

As far as worrying about the braindamage and damage to your looks, man when your passionate about boxing, your passionate about boxing. Without it, I dont think I would want to keep living, lol! I spend more time on boxing than even on woman! haha, welcome back to our beautiful sport Ben.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jariel
As much as I appreciate your help, I just don't have a clue about boxing training. But do you really want to take up a sport that can damage your looks and your brain? Then again, it's a better choice than giving your brain to the marines.

So, what has brought on this decision anyway?
A) I said that tongue in cheek. I dont take much to heart on this board.

B) Whats wrong with boxing? So what if I get a scar or two and maybe lose my teeth earlier. So what if I walk around with some bruises for a few weeks. If I enjoy doing it, thats all that matters.

C) Again, whats wrong with the military? Someones got to do it and I like the order and disciplin it offers. I've never met a disorganised person who's been in the army/marines [unless they couldnt handle it and dropped out]. I think theres a lot of good about the military... the honour, the morals, believing in something. I dont see much respect or honour in my everyday life. It's something not a lot of people my age have around my area.

Weight training is something I've learnt about recently. I share that information, thats it. Right now, I expect a fair few people are 'bigger' than me on this board. I dont care. I'm seeing what I can do with boxing now. I'm also into fire arts, dancing, MMA, guitar [main passion] and lots of other things.

So yeah. Nothings brought this on, I'm just open to new ideas and experiences. If thats so negative then shoot me.

DJBen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info man, I'll be sure to tell you how it goes :)

Right now I'm gonna finish up here and go for a bit of road work. My cardio has really suffered this past year!

Jariel

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No offence intended Clooney or DJBen. I've just seen some very messed up (physically and mentally) boxers and I wouldn't risk becoming like them for anything. Just my personal view.

As for the military - I'm just very opposed to giving up my free will to anybody for any cause, but let's not go down that road or we might get told off by the mods for holding political discussions. ;)

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Jariel
No offence intended Clooney or DJBen. I've just seen some very messed up (physically and mentally) boxers and I wouldn't risk becoming like them for anything. Just my personal view.

no offence taken. I too have seen some pretty stuffed up guys. But these guys have had many pro fights and went through too many wars. They get hit way too much, if I was as bad as them, I wouldnt even bother! Most of the time I get in the ring, I only get hit a few times in a round, I am very defensive fighter most of the time. So I dont think I have to worry about brain damage too much.

As for the military debate, LOL, aint no way I am going down that path.