Bombing College

Eiljwa

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hi, I am currently in my second semester of college, with about 3 weeks left (4 including finals week)
. I have missed 2 tests in 2 classes due to illness. I have a class with a group project that I haven't been involved in at all, and need to be to pass. I also haven't turned in a paper that was due a few weeks ago. I'm thinking I'm just screwed and won't pass anything, which would suck. The doctor wasn't able to find anything wrong with me, so I didn't get an excuse there. Any advice on talking to professors and straightening my grades out would be great.

foomee

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
depends on your college, i suppose...but just talk to them one on one. explain what happened and show them you really care and want to pass the class. if you have to, meet with them every week to discuss the homework or topic or what not, basically anything to score brownie points. like for instance, i have a D in a class right now and i've been meeting with the teacher every week and i even went to the symphony with her tonight. try anything. it's good if you're in a small school, but do whatever you can to get them to remember you and know who you are.

piranha45

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i think your only shot at getting any sympathy from the professors at this point is to ACE EVERYTHING FROM HERE ON. If you demonstrate to them that you know the material and are serious about their class(es), they may be willing to give you some leeway. If you approach them without any tangible display of dedication, they're probably going to blow you off.

There's no easy quick-fix answer; you dug yourself a hell of a hole and its going to take a serious academic effort to try and redeem yourself. Try to fix what you can, see if the professor will take the paper late and call a groupmember and ask him/her about what you can do... My groups always gave "the guy who never did anything" credit anyway, so maybe you can luck out there.

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Even if you do pass these classes your GPA would be shot to hell. Consider retaking a class or two to improve your GPA. What school is it?

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you need to take the next semester off to think this over and figure out what you want to do with your life. No sense in going there semester after semester and just warming the seats (i know from experience). Take a break, have some fun, come back to school refreshed with a new sense of optimism about life.

Eiljwa

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's Weber State University. It's in Utah, and it is an open enrollment, so there might be some more leeway than with private schools. And I'm definitely taking a break next semester. That's for the advice guys, right now I'm just worried about passing classes, so the Gpa thing doesn't matter as much.

Eiljwa

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm also thinking of saying something like: "Is there any way I can pass?" and if they give me a no, well, that just cuts down my workload a bit.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The doctor wasn't able to find anything wrong with me, so I didn't get an excuse there

oh, I bet you got something. Go to another doctor. Then you can get a medical withdrawal, which means that you just quit now and get permanent incompletes as grades and no credit, but they don't count against you for gpa. Do this only if you really care about your gpa and want to go to grad school. If you are happy with just a bachelor's and never anything more, then your gpa does not matter so much. In that case, take the credit and the crappy grades and move on. But if you want to get into grad school...ever...shoot for the incompletes instead of Cs and Ds.

f283000

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
what kind of doctors do you go for this stuff? i mean how do you go about it? i have the same problem and I got like a month something more of school left. Do i just call a doctor and explain the whole problem about depression and school and then get tested and tell him to contact my school?

MaddXMan

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Watch Back to School, that will get you motivated to study your ass off and salvage something from this semester. Think of the money that is wasted if you get a D or F.

Rounder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Suck it up and finish. It sucks but you'll be glad you did.

Go to your profs and do whatever you have to do to get back in to things this year.

Don't be afraid of the work, yeah it's gonna be tough, but you put yourself into this situation by being lazy, no one will fix it but you. Take some responsibility and finish!