Bodybuilding & Height

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Advise: Maybe what follows is just a big coincidence, so I don't want anybody calling me names or insulting. I'm just exposing what happened to me.

Background: I'm 19-yrs-old and until 14 I used to be a pretty tall kid. Then, I stopped growing at 5'8, whereas all my peers have experienced another growth spurt. Also, notice that my younger brothers are almost 6'1 and 6'2 and still growing some. My youngest brother is 12 and will probably be somewhere around 6'3, if he keeps growing like this.

Why did I stop growing? I don't know, BUT I know for sure that in my family and among my peers I was the only one who messed around with weights as a young kid (started out at around 13).

HERE COMES THE INTERESTING PART:

In June, I stopped exercising all of a sudden because of injuries (actually, I had been exercising less regularly since April) and in the last 3-4 months I've only been doing Bench Press.
When I came back from summer holidays, I got some remarks by my friends about me looking taller than I used to (I hadn't been seeing them for 3 months or so). I thought it was just the different hair-do, so I didn't even care about that.
But yesterday, my girlfriend told me that I have surely gained some height; now, my girlfriend is a girl who NEVER makes positive remarks unless she truly believes them. That's why, a couple of minutes ago, I caught the good old taper and I measured myself. I've gained almost an inch (I was 173, I'm 175), after 4 years of ZERO gains.

MAYBE it's just a reaaaaaaally late growth spurt. But if I were younger I'd rather sticked myself to Benching and bodyweight exercises. I'll let you know if further gains will be experienced... and pray for me to reach 5'10:)

Skilla_Staz

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I was 12, I was 5'7. I'm around 5'9 Now at age 17.

Chances are you're hitting a late little spurt, which many guys do in their late teens.

Deadly_Ripped

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I gained 2 inches of height when I was 20, up to 6'1 from 5'11 and I had been at 5'11 for 3 years before that. Everyone's different....

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Skilla_Staz said:
When I was 12, I was 5'7. I'm around 5'9 Now at age 17.

Chances are you're hitting a late little spurt, which many guys do in their late teens.

But did you stop at 5'7 and then, after 5 years, started to grow again? This is what sounds unusual to me... Plus the fact that the gains started after 5 years, when I stopped lifting...

manuva

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Lifting does not affect height. This has been conclusively proven by many different studies. It's also been done to death by the many paranoid teenagers on these forums.

Males can continue to grow into their early twenties.

Adone

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
manuva said:
Lifting does not affect height. This has been conclusively proven by many different studies. It's also been done to death by the many paranoid teenagers on these forums.

Males can continue to grow into their early twenties.

As far as I know, it's never been proven, because it's extremely difficult to predict if you could have grown taller without doing a certain activity.
Anyway, I just wanted to let you know what's happened to me. As I said, maybe it's a coincidence, but maybe not.

shadowfox

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'am sure bodybuilding has stunted my growth. Im 6ft 1 i think, always been one of the tallest at school then i start bodybuilding and i've noticed everyone else is having growth spurts and now i consider myself only average height, a lot of people are taller, some are much taller, and people who i considered to be 'midgets' and who i delighted in taking p1$$ out of them for this are now not THAT much smaller and all this is in the space of a year... damn.