Body Image Sh1t. Would value Perspectives.

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[PART 1 / 2]

Gentleman,

I had written a post and my login timed out, etc, lost the dam.n thing but I really have been dealing with a few "big" life issues here recently that could really affect my future and I was wondering if some of you whom know me, etc wouldn't mind lending a perspective--I wouldn't post this personal sh!t if I didn't think some of you provide real value in your responses. Some of these things too are hard to talk about with my friends in this area, because it is so personal, and sort of a weird-discussion all-around.

But if you've got a moment, this post may be slightly lengthy, but I would appreciate your feedback and maybe help me clarify the decisions I am going to make.

Story, as damn abridged as I can (for you Colossus, as I said I'd try to say more with less) : //edit -- Colossus -- this is still kinda long but man I swear I've tried to keep it right on point::

Okay, whew, here we go (please keep in mind this is some personal sh!t that is deep in my mind):

I was a fat kid. Not always. But right around maybe age 10ish, I started packing on the pounds. I don't know if it was a shift in my diet then, or something coupled by genetics (my aunt is a big woman), but I steadily started putting on weight from around age 10-17. Really I got the heaviest towards the end, age 16 & 17. I remember one day looking at myself in the mirror, and genuinely, truly, was dissatisfied with who I was. Like, 'damn son how how how did you get this way?'.

I was 260lbs at that point. 17 years old.

Well, same year I met some new friends, they were exciting, I think at that time I was really looking for something new, different perspectives, because I was truly, miserable with myself.

One of these dudes was into running and lost a great deal of weight himself--you know a testament of boom this is possible, this dude changed himself--I asked my new buddy (and buddy still 10 years later) about everything he knew -- what to eat, what to do, etc, etc, give me the recipe as to how you did it, I said.

//Let's keep it short for Colossus and everyone else (I am tempted to get deeper but must resist):

So I start running, at night, and start eating healthy as I can. I make it my sole heavy-big-time-uber-this-is-everything sort of focus. 12 months later I'm down 110lbs, weighing in around 150lb. Skinny. Really -- drastic change. Looked and felt like an entirely different human being. I thought man, for sure, at this weight, I will be stoked about my body. This is age 18 -- 9 years ago from where I am today.

There was a lot of readjustment in a new self-image...lots of good things...I mean much greater life-happiness and feeling to life (at the time) than I can really communicate..

But the satisfaction -- no -- something kept taking away that victory, that immense drive it took to commit (and still commit 10 years later) to getting my ass to exercise, no excuses. To eat good body foods, no excuses. And that dudes is the sensitive issue for me of: loose skin. I'm not talking flubber folds like some 300lb dinosaur who dropped down. I'm talking loose skin around the abdomen, I see it around my thighs slightly, my stomach itself, and I developed some small amount of breast tissue during puberty (I know this had something to do with being overweight and likely a testosterone/estrogen imbalance). Totally bummed you know, a year (at the time) and more of constant hard work, countless miles, at age 18, finally thin, but this dam.n loose skin.

I thought at the time, dude this is how it is -- you were fat, you were unaware of food, you did this to yourself, you were naieve and unknowing yes, but you did it -- these are your scars -- live with it.

And I did. For years, until about age 22ish, 23, or so, I stayed around 160lb, keeping my workout regimin. Getting into things like yoga and other things. Exploring fitness all around I suppose--biking, that sort of sh!t. Really started doing a lot more hiking, camping, stepped it up 10-fold.

I had a gf for awhile, I was with a few different girls for a short while. But my skin -- always always always -- made me self-concious as hell, was a total mental road-block, "when we get physical how do I tell her", that sort of thing. Stifled me with women dudes, no joke, just like a sort of demon in the mind knowing once you get all naked your going to get self-conscious about that damn.ed ****ing loose skin and minor breast tissue.

Well, age 23 I said fvck this sh!t, I'm going to replace this skin with muscle. So I started lifting and climbing and lifting and climbing and trying to build the size of my muscles and it was good. I gained about 25lbs of solid muscle mass, and got up to around 175-180lbs.

But the loose skin--the chest--still there.

I was with a few girls. I made the decision to keep my mouth shut about the whole I was a fatty thing and I care a lot about fitness and I hate my loose skin sh!t and go with the punches. Most chicks didn't notice until I eventually said something about my past. (it was a big deal to me at the time, the self-change I went through).

From age 23-26 stayed pretty much at that 175lb - 180lb range. I didn't backslide. Super skinny buddha_mind was dead forever. Fatty buddha_mind was a former self, a dead distant image of someone who was vaguely familiar to the present-version of my 'self'.

Now rewind 6 months. I get dumped--bad relationship--arguing arguing--she was so s3xy I was addicted--didn't matter we drove each other nuts--well now I'm in the midwest, broken relationship (I really did love her), feeling like a douche, backstepped on my job a bit to be with her--I was going mad being an outdoor educator vagrant moving and moving and moving....I wanted to be with her...be less of a rambler...

Well I get dumped and decide--dude, you've lost sight man, get it together, time to change and become version 2.0 of yourself. buddha_mind version 2.0 in the making began.

So I started job hunting to get the hell back to the mountains. I got a job in the middle of nowhere, where I wanted to be, near mountains and nature (but ironically I am working on computers now and thats another issue entirely I will not bring up in this thread).

But I started pumping iron harder than before. Taking pre-workout mix, post-workout nice protein dose, vitamins every day (quality vitamins), fish oil, hitting my weight 180lbs in protein grams per day -- 180g. Logging foods.

Meanwhile I am building a business from nothing. Literally with a friend I've known since 13. I am in my head saying, 'dude this is self-progress, you have to be strong, cmon you son of a b!tch any other route you are going to be unhappy'.

Well now 6 months later, I'm 200lbs, 16% body fat after my bulk, going into a cut to get my bodyfat down to 10% or maybe 8 or 9% if I can muster it somehow. Today I squatted the most in my whole life -- 300lbs -- yesterday I benched the most in my life 200lbs and I know that doesn't sound like a lot but man I was plateaued at 135lb for so long, my chest one of my weaker groups, man pushing it just this hard has been tough!

But dudes, I am fvcking at wits end. I still look at myself and see this loose skin. And it holds me back with women, it holds me back with my self-esteem, with my self-worth. I feel sh!tty that no matter how many weights I throw around, no matter how many miles I run, no matter how much I muster in my mind to be strong to push and do the sh!t I know will help lead me to a more actualized life, I feel this breast tissue and folds in my stomach when I sit from this loose skin from the long-dead-man of 10 years ago (age 17).

If I had known then, my 27 year old self, at 200lbs of decently solid muscle (these women around me flip their hair a lot now I see that for sure) I still feel like I can't even take my goddamned shirt off. I meet some sexy woman and deep down this loose skin tears apart my mental self-image security.

Now I'd read through the last years about loose skin. There are some wraps you can do. Some various laser therapies for minor loose skin...and then of course there is surgery...which in my case, I would need.

But these leave scars.

I always thought that I would just accept this. I would just deal with the loose skin as a part of me.

But now, even after nearly reaching my fitness goals the last 6 months I feel as though I won't be happy till I get rid of this sh!t no matter what the cost...because even if I do get to 190lb at 8% body fat, this loose skin will still be just staring me in the face. I am seriously considering the surgery.

(I'm not talking some high-school anorexic chick thinking she's fat...there really is like extra skin just sagging there from what was a fat 17 year old kid...drives me mad!)

If I decided to do the thing it would put me in debt probably for about 4 years with some monthly payments in the $70-$100 range.

There is the potential as my business is growing, that my income may improve and I could pay it off quicker..but right now that's about the bracket.

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
[Part 2 / 2]
This is a serious serious decision for me.

#1, because of the financial cost.
#2, the health risk of undergoing surgery
#3, the risk of scarring or infection or poor healing
#4, the potential mind-fvck of feeling even more disfigured

I just don't what else to do.

I feel like ultimately this issue breeds a great deal of stress in many many other realms of my life. Because despite the fact I exercise and exercise -- people around me tease me for being strong -- they don't know the loose skin I carry -- I still feel this low-self esteem, self-consciousness..like there is this thing attached to me, this burden, the skin itself.

And I got to a point in the gym where I just was sitting there after my workout on the bench thinking about life, man, this crazy ****, and self-image, and I'm just an age-eroding sack anyways and why do some stupid scars matter I've got to get this skin off me so I can be the man I want to be.

But the fear dudes, and just the whole subject is so uncomfortable to discuss with anyone--most people don't understand unless they've been down that road.

Some people think if you were once a fatty you'll just rebound--but really some deep mental shifts can take place in a person that nearly kills that old person off entirely.

I feel like my new me has been here, is here, wants to get stronger, 10 years of commitment and going strong with hopes and dreams for the future, to get fully-self employed to get the best body I can produce in my lifetime given my genetics and my innate weaknesses.

This surgery would put me out for 2-3 weeks--serious healing time--blood has to be drained from the wounds--I would have to fly to see a surgeon (no way I would get anyone around here to do it, I want the best even if it puts me in more debt).

I also just feel like such a schmooze for considering it. Am I shallow? Am I just self-entitled?

Don't get me wrong, I've had countless deep philosophical things in my head such as (dude you live in a place where people are in such excess they CAN get fat..or they CAN buy whey protein...and then they complain about the SKIN they stretched by youthful ignorance...)

Just the notion of 'cosmetic surgery' puts me off and all the notions that go with it.

I don't want to be some artificial image of myself in my mind -- or get a nose job too and become a plastic man.

I just want to get rid of this skin and feel like a normal dude who can take his shirt off and be proud of the 10 years he's worked to build a healthy body.

And I feel too if I can get past that, certain issues with women, that lie in my subconscious (because of insecurity) would be more resolved also.

I know this is some weird stuff to talk about, and I apologize for sharing such a strange subject matter, it is just hard to know whom to talk to about this stuff, and although a public board at first notion sounds like a stupid place to reveal such a personal thing, I really value some of your opinions and surely someone here can relate or help give me some piercing-insight into the right decision.

I think in my gut, the debt and scars are worth it. Even if I had some scars in place of the skin, at least that sh!t would be off my body and I could stop thinking about it.

What would you do?

Warrior74

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I could afford it, I would do it.

I was always a skinny kid and now I'm fat and I hate it. I'm down a few lbs. I'm counting cals and working out when I can but my schedule is insane and weight loss has been slow going. It's nearly 3am and I'm finishing my work day, meetings in the morning. I'm going to be too tired to go to the gym.

This is what happens for me. I get a solid week of normal hours and gym time and feel great, then its about 3 weeks of crazy time trying to finish jobs and deal with clients.

If could lose 50lbs tomorrow via surgery and had the money and time to cover it, I'd do it in a heart beat and not think twice. I want the results. You want the results. I'd take the scars and roll with it. But that's just me.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
there are ways to get rid of that skin without sugury. you aren't doing somejthing right. that's really for a more work out oriented forum or a personal trainer or something. at my biggest i was 5'8 and a pound or 2nder 240. my lowest was about 155 about a year affter that. i still have stretch marks to this day, espeicallyo around my stomach and upper arms/inside of my arms. but i have zero extra skin. hell i have a 6 pack. as of Monday i was 174 but that's putting on some muscle. don't know what my BF is but i wear a 31-32 jeans and i have an extremely flat stomach with visible abs.

but i know what it's like to to not get looked at then to get looked at.

you sound like the defination of skinny fat. you did not lose the weight in the correct manner and you lost a lot of muscle. again, lthis is not really for this forum but I mean.. you are what.. 190 ish pounds, been working out for "years" and the most you have ever squatted is 300 pounds? I would be lying if i said i warmed up with that, but i build up my sets with 2 warm up sets and about 290 is about my 2nd warm up set. i could go in the gym code is a mofo if i had to and squat 300 pounds today with relative ease and i'm 15 pounds lighter than you are. my bench is almost 150% more than yours is. I'm not saying that to brag at all becuase i assure you there are guys in the gym that would make me look silly. I'm just i9n shape and have been going to the gym for forever and I know i do things the right way.. but you aren't doing something right. at all. what it is i don't know, and i know everyone is different.. but we aren't that damn different. unless you have legs like Yao Ming something isn't right.]

so that, tells me that even if you paid for the sugury you would be right back at jump street in a year or two. so it would be wasted money. yo9u are better off figuring out what you are doing wrong and fixing it. I didn't always do things 100% tyhe right way, hell i probably still don't.

i personally think your diet is out of wack and you got some advice from one of those "good genes" people. on the avg day at 174 i take in about 300 grams of protein. depending on exact what i eat, some days it's like 250 some it might be like 350. hell some it's like 400. but 180..... man that's not a lot if you are seriously hitting thg ym. lol **** my breakfast a lone on the avg day is half that.. protein pancakes and about 6- eggs with a glass of milk. i get a lot of flack for my diet but then those dame guys talking to me are struggling with their body weight in the gym and can't seem to get a 6 pack how mjuch weight they lose.
If I could afford it, I would do it.

I was always a skinny kid and now I'm fat and I hate it. I'm down a few lbs. I'm counting cals and working out when I can but my schedule is insane and weight loss has been slow going. It's nearly 3am and I'm finishing my work day, meetings in the morning. I'm going to be too tired to go to the gym.

This is what happens for me. I get a solid week of normal hours and gym time and feel great, then its beabout 3 weeks of crazy time trying to finish jobs and deal with clients.

If could lose 50lbs tomorrow via surgery and had the money and time to cover it, I'd do it in a heart beat and not think twice. I want the results. You want the results. I'd take the scars and roll with it. But that's just me.
this.. this right here.. killed me more than ANTYHING.. more than not getting laid, more than being broke, more than not having clothes.. startingt my business. the weight. because natrually i was not fat. i was not used to being fat. at 18 i was 135 and at 20 im' carrying around an additional 80 pounds everyday that **** is hard. always being uncomfortable. always out of breath. I used to run wind sprints for hours in basketball practice and at 20 i couldn't go up 3 flights of stairs without sweating.

but it's just one of those things you ahve to deal with. I have learned, do[ not make it worse by by fdoing the start / go workout plan. start for a week stop for 3 weks. because then you wil start to question your diet / methods and fvck things up worse. wait until you get somewhat stable and make it the first thing you incorporate in your life. when I finally, finally was able to afford to eat like i Knew i needed to eat every week to lose weight and get a gym membership, In april I was right at 200 pounds and on my birthday (june 17th)i was at 158 and going shopping for clothes. you will lose weight faster than the avg person beucdase you aen't lazy and you know what to do. you just have to be patient.

Last edited:

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
there are ways to get rid of that skin without sugury. you aren't doing somejthing right. that's really for a more work out oriented forum or a personal trainer or something. at my biggest i was 5'8 and a pound or 2nder 240. my lowest was about 155 about a year affter that. i still have stretch marks to this day, espeicallyo around my stomach and upper arms/inside of my arms. but i have zero extra skin. hell i have a 6 pack. as of Monday i was 174 but that's putting on some muscle. don't know what my BF is but i wear a 31-32 jeans and i have an extremely flat stomach with visible abs.

but i know what it's like to to not get looked at then to get looked at.

you sound like the defination of skinny fat. you did not lose the weight in the correct manner and you lost a lot of muscle. again, lthis is not really for this forum but I mean.. you are what.. 190 ish pounds, been working out for "years" and the most you have ever squatted is 300 pounds? I would be lying if i said i warmed up with that, but i build up my sets with 2 warm up sets and about 290 is about my 2nd warm up set. i could go in the gym code is a mofo if i had to and squat 300 pounds today with relative ease and i'm 15 pounds lighter than you are. my bench is almost 150% more than yours is. I'm not saying that to brag at all becuase i assure you there are guys in the gym that would make me look silly. I'm just i9n shape and have been going to the gym for forever and I know i do things the right way.. but you aren't doing something right. at all. what it is i don't know, and i know everyone is different.. but we aren't that damn different. unless you have legs like Yao Ming something isn't right.]

so that, tells me that even if you paid for the sugury you would be right back at jump street in a year or two. so it would be wasted money. yo9u are better off figuring out what you are doing wrong and fixing it. I didn't always do things 100% tyhe right way, hell i probably still don't.

i personally think your diet is out of wack and you got some advice from one of those "good genes" people. on the avg day at 174 i take in about 300 grams of protein. depending on exact what i eat, some days it's like 250 some it might be like 350. hell some it's like 400. but 180..... man that's not a lot if you are seriously hitting thg ym. lol **** my breakfast a lone on the avg day is half that.. protein pancakes and about 6- eggs with a glass of milk. i get a lot of flack for my diet but then those dame guys talking to me are struggling with their body weight in the gym and can't seem to get a 6 pack how mjuch weight they lose.

this.. this right here.. killed me more than ANTYHING.. more than not getting laid, more than being broke, more than not having clothes.. startingt my business. the weight. because natrually i was not fat. i was not used to being fat. at 18 i was 135 and at 20 im' carrying around an additional 80 pounds everyday that **** is hard. always being uncomfortable. always out of breath. I used to run wind sprints for hours in basketball practice and at 20 i couldn't go up 3 flights of stairs without sweating.

but it's just one of those things you ahve to deal with. I have learned, do[ not make it worse by by fdoing the start / go workout plan. start for a week stop for 3 weks. because then you wil start to question your diet / methods and fvck things up worse. wait until you get somewhat stable and make it the first thing you incorporate in your life. when I finally, finally was able to afford to eat like i Knew i needed to eat every week to lose weight and get a gym membership, In april I was right at 200 pounds and on my birthday (june 17th)i was at 158 and going shopping for clothes. you will lose weight faster than the avg person beucdase you aen't lazy and you know what to do. you just have to be patient.
Warrior -- I'm not looking for surgery to do something I can't do myself. I clearly am willing to push it to the MAX to get my results--this loose skin CANNOT be removed with literally it being TAKEN off of my body.

Backbreaker -- I respect your response, but trust me bud I'm not half-assing it here--my genetics may be very different than yours, I DO have loose skin, I can't get myself to eat such massive breakfasts I do a lot of smaller interval meals I don't like feeling bloated and so full--I know 300lbs is not a lot bro but it sure is for me, and most people in the gym are weaker than me in this community. I have read plenty about weight lifting and I know in the spectrum those numbers arent' that great, but they are something that's for sure and above the average person's ability. And it has taken me LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of work. I can PROMISE you this loose skin around my abdeomn and my breast tissue are REAL THINGS I feel UNABLE to get rid of no matter how hard I work out. It's not just 'in my mind' -- it is literal. I could probably boost my protein levels up I think you are right--my diet is likely a bottleneck to my growth, but bud I don't want to be 210lbs, at 198lbs right now I feel bulky honestly, I don't want to be such a massive dude, I just want to be CUT. Thus trying to drop my BF% now.

Definitoin is about having big muscles with a low layer of fat in between muscle and skin.

I have done so much to build up my muscles to max my genetic profile ( we are thin in our blood line and flexible -- it has taken lots of work to pack on 35lbs of muscle ).

Even when my BF% is LOW, the skin is just there--its' because I stretched out too big man, and even my muscular self is not as big as that fat version was.

I think I *NEED* to do this--and make the best of it. Sure I will have scars which will be a new psychological game but at least I can finally feel like I have a real man's chest and stomach.

I feel like 10 yaers from now, I will still be facing the same issues, even fi I was to gain 10lbs more of muscle.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buddha_Mind said:
Warrior -- I'm not looking for surgery to do something I can't do myself. I clearly am willing to push it to the MAX to get my results--this loose skin CANNOT be removed with literally it being TAKEN off of my body.

Backbreaker -- I respect your response, but trust me bud I'm not half-assing it here--my genetics may be very different than yours, I DO have loose skin, I can't get myself to eat such massive breakfasts I do a lot of smaller interval meals I don't like feeling bloated and so full--I know 300lbs is not a lot bro but it sure is for me, and most people in the gym are weaker than me in this community. I have read plenty about weight lifting and I know in the spectrum those numbers arent' that great, but they are something that's for sure and above the average person's ability. And it has taken me LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of work. I can PROMISE you this loose skin around my abdeomn and my breast tissue are REAL THINGS I feel UNABLE to get rid of no matter how hard I work out. It's not just 'in my mind' -- it is literal. I could probably boost my protein levels up I think you are right--my diet is likely a bottleneck to my growth, but bud I don't want to be 210lbs, at 198lbs right now I feel bulky honestly, I don't want to be such a massive dude, I just want to be CUT. Thus trying to drop my BF% now.

Definitoin is about having big muscles with a low layer of fat in between muscle and skin.

I have done so much to build up my muscles to max my genetic profile ( we are thin in our blood line and flexible -- it has taken lots of work to pack on 35lbs of muscle ).

Even when my BF% is LOW, the skin is just there--its' because I stretched out too big man, and even my muscular self is not as big as that fat version was.

I think I *NEED* to do this--and make the best of it. Sure I will have scars which will be a new psychological game but at least I can finally feel like I have a real man's chest and stomach.

I feel like 10 yaers from now, I will still be facing the same issues, even fi I was to gain 10lbs more of muscle.
now i KNOW your diet is your problem.

dude i take in on avg about 2500 cals a day eating what i eat. it takes some planning but it's not difficult.

whoever you are listening to has you afraid to eat in a manner that is going to help you hit your goals. you like too many people are afraid of protein. protein in itself is not going to bulk you up. cals in / cals out still applies. as long as you are taking in less calories than you burn in a day it doesn't matter how many grams of protein you take in you are not going to wait weight it's impossible. the key for you is to keep a caloric defect while at the same time giving your body the protein it needs to build / keep muscle and reduce at the same time. your diet is not doing that right now. dude i'm 5'8, 174 and wear a size 31. what does that tell you about my size? i'm not some mr t looking mofo lol. i'm very cut and h ave some muscle but i'm not huge.

your diet is bottle necking you. it's just like women advice, you can take my advice and listen to it and come out better or you can wait until someone confirms what you wish to hear, that it's okay that you want to get the surgery, and then be right back here in a year or two.

i used to have the same problem. that's how I know beyond a shadow of a doubt what yours is. when i went from 240 to 155, i STILL had fat me. i could not lift my body weight in weights. i could not squat 150 pounds. then i finally ran into someone who showed me the right way to diet and boom. the light went off.

just like the whole you dating at work thing. you come here, someone tells you waht you don't want to hear and you get defensive. you act like you are the only person on earth who has ever had issues with skin or weight that your problems are just that unique. you act like you are the only person to ever walk in a gym.

right now i'm actually cutting myself as I want to shed about 5 pounds before spring really gets here and we start going to the beach. today this is my diet

Pre work out= banana
breakfast (post workout)= 6 eggs with 3 slices of fat free american cheese
meal 3= gladiator protien smoothie
meal 4 =1 full salmon, green beans, 1 glass of true protien beef
meal 5 (dinner) = baked chicken, 1 glass of true protien, powerade
meal 6= 100 cal bag of popcorn

that's right at 2000 calories for the entire day and right about 240 grams of protien. i go to teh gym in the morning then get in the pool and get on the exercise bike before dinner for 45 mintues. this is just what i do regardless of if i am losing or gaining weight the only thing that changes is my diet. when i am not trying to lose weigh i actually eat more than that on a daily basis. and honestly i wish i could get it up from 240 grams of protien, i would like to get it closer to 275 but i would be toying with fire and adding foods i don't care for and it's not worth it.

like clockwork by march 15th i will be right at 170-169 and probably wearing a size 30-31. I have pants for that as half the year that's what i wear and in the winter i wear 31-32.

just.. try to up your protein to 250-300 a day for a month or two and watch what happens.

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Backbreaker--I will give the 200-300g range a try, I've been hitting around 190g and probably less actually.

Can you give me some sample meals you eat?

I am willing to SERIOULSLY the next 3 months take your advice by upping protein and adjusting diet -- give me some insight -- fvck man I'd even take before and after photos.

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
But dude that fatty tissue under my nipple is from ****ing being a fat kid during my puberty growth and my hormone systems were all fvcked and out of whack because i was such a fatass.

i am trying to build the densest leanest body possible.

I do believe my diet has something to do with it -- but dude i don't always KNOW wtf to do and having been such a fat-ass I am scared to plow down the calories because bud I had to train my mind to cut cals...it has been hard getting to 200lbs even just getting myself to eat more has been a real challenge...

I swear tho bro i am pushing ti everyday as hard as i can -- i need to be working smarter, clearly im willing to push hard, but if im missing some variables that are hodling me back im going to keep undercutting my own progress.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Buddha_Mind said:
Backbreaker--I will give the 200-300g range a try, I've been hitting around 190g and probably less actually.

Can you give me some sample meals you eat?

I am willing to SERIOULSLY the next 3 months take your advice by upping protein and adjusting diet -- give me some insight -- fvck man I'd even take before and after photos.
eggs, chicken, fish, lean steak. honestly my wife does all my meal planning now, she knows what i eat and what i like and cooks all my meals for the most part. learn how to grill. =

smoothie king's smoothies are mostly smoothie kool aid but the large gladiator smoothie has no sugar or no carbs at alland it's 45 grams of protein and it's damn good. it's one of the staples in my diet, but it's like 6.50 a smoothie.

ironaddicts.com is a relaly good site for more info there (everyone there is on the same diet i am if not worse) and more diet ideas. but do not be afraid to eat. just keep the cals in check. protein isn't going to make you fat or large. in fact it will do the opposite. when i was 21 and got down to about 159 i got attention, because i'm not ugly and i was not fat anymore but i still had a gut and i had no real muscle. when i turned 23 and had gained the weight to 240 and lost it back to 155, and then put on about 15 or so pounds of muscle i was still wearing the same jeans i was when i was 21 though i was much much stronger and had much much more muscle. at 21 i had a bird chest and by the time i had met my wife i completely filled out a polo medium.. with abs... can't squeeze into a small my chest and arms are too big. it was then i went from cute / handsome to "sexy" and the attention just got flat out embarrassing.

now i try to give people advice and they look at me and say " man I don't have the genetics you have i can never look like that" and I mean I'm not just like Jay Cutler or anything but I look pretty damn good with my shirt off, and I just want to laugh my ass off like dude do you have any idea who the hell you are talking to?

on a different yet similar note, if guys would spend the time they spend reading pua guides and **** in the gym, the game would be like 10x easier. spend some money and time to do it right make sure you are getting sound professional advice. dudes will spend hundreds of dollars books about the game and clothes but then take gym advice from their best friend whose entire family is genetically gifted. I don't think the avg non gym guy understands just how much attention that guys who are in tip top shape get from women. it's like night and day and the game is so much easier.

ChumpNoMore

Don Juan
Reaction score
If you've got to a reasonably lean state and the gyno is still there then go ahead. But be honest with yourself on your bodyfat: I thought I had gyno and as I got appreciably leaner, it almost disappeared, but its a sh!t ton of work and discipline.

wait_out

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I got my eyes lasered, it was functional but same deal. It's your body, your choice buddha! Just don't get all your advice here, make sure you see a qualified professional (who can be sued for malpractice). Nobody here will be held accountable for what they say -- that is the bottom line.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know bodybuilding types these days are saying you can get rid of loose skin by getting leaner. But if you have that much loose skin I honestly don't see how any amount of diet and exercise is going to help.

Age and duration could be factors. If you lost the weight at a younger age the skin would be more elastic. If you were obese for a longer time the skin might get more stretched out.

I'm pretty sure Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has had surgery to remove fatty tissue under his nipples, and that guy is jacked.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
zekko said:
I know bodybuilding types these days are saying you can get rid of loose skin by getting leaner. But if you have that much loose skin I honestly don't see how any amount of diet and exercise is going to help.

Age and duration could be factors. If you lost the weight at a younger age the skin would be more elastic. If you were obese for a longer time the skin might get more stretched out.

I'm pretty sure Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has had surgery to remove fatty tissue under his nipples, and that guy is jacked.
if you want a more definitive answer, he's rushing to a conclusion. if you lose weight fast the skin takes a while to stretch back into it's shape but 8 out of 10 times it usually does if you keep at what you are doing, losing more weight is not going to make his skin tighter, that doesn't' make sense, i was just commenting on the fact that something in his diet was not correct as his stats are well off of what they should be. as far as the fat under his nipples chump no more hit it on the head, you won't seriously know until you have seriously cut. everyone's body is a little different, you lose fat in the reverse order that your body stores it. if the first place your body stores fat is under the nipples that's the last thing you will see go which means you have to get pretty damn cut to see that lost but that does not mean he has gyno.

for the skin just wait 4-5 months and if it has not stretched back see a doctor. it usually does you just gotta be patient. skin is very elastic. espeically if you are currently losing weight or even worse keep yoyoing up and down you are just going tovae to be patient with the skin.

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Update: I did go and get a consultation. Man this whole thing just turns me off so much, I hate looking at these surgical pictures it gives me the heebie jeebies and the notion of getting all cut up and 5h1t sort of makes me feel ill.

I did see a pretty awesome plastic surgeon, but his fees were too much ($18K to remove the abdominal skin and sagging love handles (again literally just skin)). I cruised down to Colorado to scope him out--one of the best surgeons around, but can't afford him. Artistic guy, interesting.

I keep thinking I can 'accept' this, but I have to be honest how much it totally undercuts my self-esteem and my feelings of success. Not to mention its this reminder of a past fat self just hanging there...g0ddamn this 5hit.

I'm going to go get another consultation by another surgeon. I want to gain many perspectives and learn about some of the different techniques. I truly want to minimize scarring.

Man sometimes in life it's like you just can't win. But ultimately, even if I have some scars, I feel like at SOME POINT I *MUST* do this to enter into a different mindset.

I did just complete a 12-week periodization routine and my lifts have increased and I've seen my body respond. I'm sort of lulling here and revving losing motivation--started a new month long 'freestyle' routine as I call it, where I'm sort of just mixing and mashing routines together and hitting all muscle groups. Solid cardio is nice too, especially on these 90 degree days.

When I'm all pumped out or just got off a run my body is inflated and my msucles are breathing strong and I don't look too bad..it's when they sort of lose their bloodflow I notice and feel my loose skin even more. What I"m saying is psychologically, when I'm active and my heartrate is up--I feel great about my body. But say at nighttime, or off-hours, man the skin takes my entire focus (I don't see my definition in my shoulders or back or neck or arms, etc) I IMMEDIETELY focus on my weaknesses.

man fvck the human mind, what a 5hit pile it can be.

disgustipated

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds like maybe u need to fill out some of that loose skin with weight, in the form of muscle. I know that you are probably paranoid about putting on weight given your history dude but as a lifelong runner I can tell you I cannot keep any muscle on when I'm running any kind of.decent mileage, regardless of what I'm.doing lifting wise. When I'm running I get SOME loose skin.too, but its night and day when I cut out carrion and just lift and focus on diet. If u find yourself getting too heavy then ramp back up the cardio and diet. You didn't have as much loose skin at your heaviest right? Now you do, at your lightest....sounds to me you need to find that magic weight where the skin is not too loose, then maintain that weight with as much muscle composition as possible. Use cardio in spurts to achieve different things but sounds like u need more muscle.

ebracer05

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
D*mn. I just typed you a pretty good reply and I accidentally navigated away from the page. I don't have time to write it again now but I will later and I have some advice that will help you resolve the problem.

drak_ool

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
buddha_mind, first of all mad respect for sharing this story with us, that must have taken some courage to write it all out...

Here's an option I didn't see mentioned, which will surely cost you much less than the surgery: why don't you start working out with a personal trainer and/or dietecian? You could try it for 3 months, see if your results improve at all, if not fvck it and get the surgery.

I've had to deal with body image issues myself, but the opposite of you. The first time was around when I was 21/22 and I stopped doing tahi boxing. My match time weight was 155lbs and walk around weight in the low 160s, on a lenghty 6'1 frame. While I didn't have a problem with it when I was training 6 days a week cuz I was sooooo cut, once I stopped that intense regimen I just looked at myself in the mirror and felt I looked like shyt.

The problem with me is I can't put on weight, so no matter how hard I worked out at the gym, I could not break 170lbs. Then I started dating a personal trainer, and she really took care of my routine and diet. I was able to get to 185 LEAN, well below 10%BF, really big upper body. I would go out to the bars with my gf and girls would start rubbing my arms and shyt.

THEN, I destroyed a disk in my back about 16 months ago, within 2-3 weeks I lost all the weight and once again was a skinny kid. Not only did that hurt me emotionally, I also lost my gf a few months into my recovery (sure there were other factors, but her not being impressed wit my body any longer was huge). Since then, when I worked out on my own results have been mediocre. When I used a trainer, even for a month at a time, results were clearly visible.

So give it a shot, see what happens, it could save you thousands and really boost your self estime.

Good luck!

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I still believe that your diet is off. that's just from my experience, skin is very elstasic and you loss the wrong type of weight, too fast. but rather you take my advice on that is neither here nor there i'm not a personal trainer.

however i can tell you from a different experience, i deal with the same thing as far as body image but for me it's not how I acutally look; i have a few stetch marks but with years of cocoa butter and the fact that I am very light skinned they really aren't even all that visable anymore. no my issue has always been my teeth.

I mean iw asn't born with just, a banjo playing swamp dude set of teeth but my teeth have always been a problem. growing in crooked. I mean, my saving grace is that I have very small lips/small mouth so you can't really just see my entire mouth but I have, ZERO teeth after like, my 2nd tooth on the right side of my mouth all of them have been removed beucase tehy grew in crooked. i mean if you saw me you couldn't tell but it's there. my wife knkows that's about it.

anyway, between just, not having great teeth, I have always had issues with dentists. it got to the point that in my early 20's i just said fvck this and went and got porcelain veneers. my mom did the same thing in her early 20's, mom's teeth look spotless but growing up she looked like a bucked tooth mule.

the price for me not being self conscious about me smiling anymore is worth it. you say 18k you can't afford it. **** can you NOT afford it is the question you need tob e asking. if it's this big of a issue in your life, is your happiness worth 18k?

Buddha_Mind

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Disgustipated, drak_ool and BB --

Thank you for your responses. Let me clarify a few things:

I am not 150lbs right now. That was the skinny-fat change, thus the loose skin. Disgustipated, your advice to gain muscle is exactly what I've been doing the last 5 years. I've gone from 150 -> 195lbs, I'm probably 12-14% bodyfat right now. Like on my legs or thighs, you can't much grab any skin.

But around my stomach, where at 260lbs, was huge, I'm all stretched out and have stretch marks. Maintaing 195lbs is hard for me -- I have to eat a lot. BB you are right, my diet is still my bottleneck...I do on average get about 150-195g protein/day, and I do try to eat solid meals and not much junk. But at some point, especially the love handle sh1t, I know are just 'pockets' of skin with pretty much little to no fat in there, just hanging from before.

Yes if I had the $18K or enough to make those payments I'd go with that guy. But I am building a business--BB you know what that is like in the beginning--I'm in my first year, I'm living paycheck to paycheck and having to hunt like a dog for web contracts. You know things are building momentum, but I've gotten myself in about $2K of credit card debt the last year and I'm trying to work this off (because of slumps in business I used credit) -- lesson learned -- but to take on more monthly payments, etc is just going to make me looney tunes. So it's sort of like I'm researching now and setting myself this goal...and this can be something to help catalyze my motivation to keep working out...to keep making $$...so that I can 'earn' this surgery.

I'll post pics I took in the gym, I'll crop my face out, but I'd be willing to share where I'm at. I'll fvcking show you all the skin. Fck it.

BB -- man your honestly is appreciated bro, I value you sharing your frustrations about yourself too -- but you know your attitude fundamentally is right -- we've all got weaknesses, but we've got to capitalize and tease our strengths over those weaknesses. Even the smoothest DJ I'm sure might have a crooked nose or goofy eyebrows...you don't have to be some greek god figurine to look good and have people admire who you are.

Also, BB, I believe those of us who have had to truly transform ourselves, have OVERALL, worked HARDER than those born with a great bod, or great muscles or perfect teeth. I'm sure you're a good looking man brotha, don't let that sh1t get you down.

drak_ool -- I really appreciate you sharing your story also man, I'm sorry taht bish left you when you lost your muscles a bit. That goes to show how much she truly cared about you. A solid person has got to understand the ebbs and flows you know. How is your disc doing now? Are there certain exercises that cause you pain over others?

EDIT -- here's pics, I'm not looking for validation, etc, etc, I'm just trying to show 'whats up' and how far I've come...but also 3rd pic is of the sagging skin I can't get rid of -- I know it's worse in my head than real life, but any woman who gets her hands down there DOES notice...and when I'm not post-workout (like these photos) it really bums me out and seems even worse. Blehh.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2igfvp4.jpg

http://i45.tinypic.com/1dzewh.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2nvxu95.png (loose skin)

Last edited: