Bicept Trouble

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a newbie to the gym but my good friend who isn't has told me to try to use freeweights rather than the machines. I have also been told that is better to use barbells than dumbells and better to decrease your range of motion (and increase the weight) to get bigger (not necessarily stronger). The problem is when I sit and do barbell curls (from my lap to my chin), it feels like i am using to much of my back...any advice on this or bicept training in general?

Reaction score
hey snapple:

Learn these maxims of arm training - and if you apply them and train hard, eat right, and gets lots of sleep, your arms will grow like weeds.

1. If you want big arms (or big anything) you have to sling big weight with FULL RANGE OF MOTION.

2. Dumbbells and Barbells are equally effective - however, there will be some exercises where barbells are plain easier to handle (such as squats, deadlifts, and shrugs)

MAXIMS FOR MASSIVE ARM SIZE:

1. IF YOU WANT BIG ARMS THE MUSCLES YOU SHOULD WORRY ABOUT MOST ARE YOUR BACK, TRICEPS, QUADS AND FOREARMS. ARMS ARE PROBABLY THE MOST OVERWORKED BODY PART, AS IT IS.

2. IF YOUR BACK IS WEAK, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE HUGE ARMS. CHANCES ARE YOUR LACK OF ARM DEVELOPMENT IS DIRECTLY TIED TO NEGATIVE BACK MASS.

3. IF YOU TRAIN LIKE A PVSSY (MACHINES AND PREACHERS FOR ARMS) YOU WILL NEVER HAVE MASSIVE ARMS

4. MASSIVE ARMS ARE BUILT ON A STEADY DIET OF:

HEAVY DEADS
HEAVY BARBELL ROWS,
WEIGHTED CLOSE GRIP CHIN UPS,
HEAVY STRAIGHT BARBELL CURLS,
HEAVY EZ BAR CURLS,
HEAVY HAMMER CURLS
HEAVY CLOSE GRIP BENCH
HEAVY SKULLCRUSHERS
WEIGHTED DIPS
HEAVY BENCH PRESS
HEAVY SQUATS

EVERYTHING ELSE IS PRETTY MUCH BULL****.

5. IF YOUR PECS ARE WEAK YOU WILL NEVER HAVE BIG ARMS

6. IF YOUR SQUAT IS WEAK YOU WILL NEVER HAVE BIG ARMS

7. IF YOU CAN'T DEADLIFT FOR SHYT, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE BIG ARMS

8. IF YOU CAN'T DO PULLUPS/CHIN UPS - YOU MAY AS WELL FORGET HAVING BIG ARMS.

9. IF YOUR DIET IS GARBAGE, AND YOU DON'T GET ENOUGH SLEEP BECAUSE YOU ARE ALWAYS DRINKING AND PARTYING, YOU WILL NEVER HAVE BIG ARMS

10. AS YOU CAN SEE - THE BODY GROWS SYNERGISTICALLY - YOU CANNOT HAVE HUGE ARMS IF THE REST OF YOUR BODY IS WEAK. TRAIN THE WHOLE BODY AND THE ARMS WILL GROW RIGHT ALONGSIDE IT.

p.s. WWW.EXRX.NET for animation on how to do all the exercises I just posted.

WORKEROUTER

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Victor you receive the award of the best "truthful, no-bull**** reply award of the year."

FitnessGuy

Don Juan
Reaction score
I am a newbie to the gym but my good friend who isn't has told me to try to use freeweights rather than the machines
Use both, but yes try to focus more on free weight exercises.

I have also been told that is better to use barbells than dumbells and better to decrease your range of motion (and increase the weight) to get bigger (not necessarily stronger).
Both have there benefit. Do not rule out dumbells, in fact I think dumbells are better in several instances.

The problem is when I sit and do barbell curls (from my lap to my chin), it feels like i am using to much of my back...any advice on this or bicept training in general?
I would recommend doing them standing with an ezbar instead.

Reaction score
Re: Re: Bicept Trouble

Originally posted by FitnessGuy

I would recommend doing them standing with an ezbar instead.
the only problem with the ez bar is that your brachialis takes a lot of the brunt of the movement directly from the biceps. Which is why you can usually do more weight with an EZ bar than you can with a straight bar.

This isn't a bad thing, as you need to hit the brachialis - but it's probably why I hardly ever do ez curls first in my arm routine.

I also think the straight bar strengthens your wrist joint much more than the ez bar, the ez bar is called the ez bar, for a reason - it's easier on your grip and on your wrists.

wrist joint strength becomes key once you go into triple digits on bicep curl exercises and go over 275 on the bench.

I personally do straight bar - then followed by the ez bar - you can really pile on the weight for both.

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
never done ez curls or skullcrushers, what r those?

thx for the advice

livin large

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think by ez curls they're just talking about the type of bar you use. Instead of being straight like a bar you would do bench with, it has sort of a 'w' shape in it, so your wrists can be pointing in towards the center.

Skullcrushers are a tricep exercise where you lay on your back and hold a bar straight over your chest with your arms fully extended, like you just got the weight up on a bench press rep (except your grip is much closer - no more than shoulder width). You slowly bring the weight down to about the top of your forehead, keeping your elbows in and your upper arm still. Then you extend to the starting position.