BEST Martial Arts

felony

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Guys,

I'm thinking of incorporating some martial arts training once a night into my lifestyle.

Was wondering what is the best martial arts? I have little idea though some random guy on the train the other night gave a pretty convincing argument to why wing chun gung fu was the best.

What are your recommendations? What's the best MA and why?

Thanks in advance,
felony.

Shadow Dancer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
The "best" martial art or fighting system is relative to what you're looking to accomplish.

I have trained in Wing Chun. In close quarters, against strikers, it's very effective. Close quarters being medium length punching distance.

But keep something in mind. ANYONE who tells you a certain martial art reigns supreme, is someone with clouded judgement.

At full length punching, a Boxer will generally kick your ass. If there is room to kick, then a good kicker can take you out. If a grappler get's his hands on you, it's lights out.

The best thing to do is train to fight in all ranges. See if you can find a gym/school that teaches Jeet Kune Do, Pankration, and other styles that incorporate all ranges of combat. If that's not possible, I suggest taking a year of boxing. Then taking some grappling. With Boxing and Grappling experience you'll do very well in most circumstances.

Again, it's all relative to your goals.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Brazillian Jui-jitsu is also pretty good. Combine it with boxing or muy thai and you can really kick some ass. Try to find a martial art where you do more live training than "theoretical" as some of these martial art schools practice. That's how come you hear those stories of the black belt in Karate that got his ass kicked in a streetfight.

ultrashogun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
That's how come you hear those stories of the black belt in Karate that got his ass kicked in a streetfight.
So your saying that people who do MT or BJJ dont get their asses kicked in streetfights?

Anyway, karate is a very broad term. What karate are you talking abou?

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by ultrashogun
So your saying that people who do MT or BJJ dont get their asses kicked in streetfights?

Anyway, karate is a very broad term. What karate are you talking abou?
Actually I said that not to diss Karate, but to illustrate an observation that I've made of many karate schools (or martial art schools period) that I've been to over the years (19 year time span)-- many of them try to get theory and plug it into reality and that just doesnt work, or a lot of schools focus too much on point fighting and not how to prepare for a real situation--a self defense session is good BUT any technique will work on someone if theyre just standing there letting you do it to them. Karate as a martial art is good as any other martial art and out of all the years that I've been in martial arts, I've seen only 2 schools that deal with reality combat.

Jinn

Don Juan
Reaction score
I made a martial arts thread awhile ago that wasn't too successful because I did a poor job of explaining much of anything, but I'm planning on making a new one that will go further in depth and shouldn't arouse as many skeptics. It should be here pretty soon, and hopefully it will end this whole "which martial art should I choose?" cherade.

sexualchocolate

Don Juan
Reaction score
i spent some time in an aikido dojo that proved to be interesting. Its not the most aggressive of martial arts though Steven Siegal seems to kick some pretty big ass.

I would say it was more artful almost like dance rather than brute combative style of fighting.

felony

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys,
thanks for the feedback so far. I'm seriously considering just doing normal boxing for a while. Apparently it is really good for upper body strength, speed, reflexes, mental awareness, cardio, muscle toning and then for all the fighting aspects in regards to throwing punches, which i don't really care about, given i'm 20 y/o and have been in no more than 3 fights.

Although boxing isn't suppose to be good wearing on your joints? and the impact of your fists on boxing bags etc isn't meant to be too good either.

What are the pros and cons you guys know about in regards to boxing and boxing compared to other martial arts.
Perhaps i could take up a MA's after a year of boxing? Perhaps i would get more out of the MAs i choose having gained the benefits of boxing first?

Anyhow, noobie to all things MAs -like,

felony.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by felony

Perhaps i could take up a MA's after a year of boxing? Perhaps i would get more out of the MAs i choose having gained the benefits of boxing first?

When I look back at my MA training, I would've taken boxing first before I went into any other of the MA's. Boxing is easy to learn and the techniques are readily applicable in contrast to what you will learn in Karate or Kung fu. Not to mention, the things you learn in boxing can be easily plugged into your Karate, Kenpo, or Kung fu or whatever MA you decide to take up. Therefore, I would reccommend you take some boxing before anything.

Dont worry about hurting your hands hitting from hitting the bag--there are ways around it. Get a catatlog from RINGSIDE and you can find padding to put under your hand wraps to protect your knuckles. Also, instead of using bag gloves, use actual boxing gloves (16 or 20 oz gloves) when doing your bagwork. Not olny will they protect your knuckles, but the added weight of the gloves when your arm fatigue will give you added strength and stamina when you actually get into a fight (streetfights dont last very long and 99.99% of the guys you will fight are non Martial artists who'll get winded in less than a minute of slugging at someone).

Another benefit that boxing has is that it shows you the true value of straight-line punching, something that's emphasized by MA's like karate and wing tsun kung fu. Boxing will show you how to use straight punches like jabs and crosses to open your opponent up for power shots like hooks and uppercuts. I know that other MA's emphasize straight line punching, but I think boxing shows it better.

Take boxing first.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by metahuman
Those stories are simply urban legends.

Then I've witnessed several urban legends in person. LOL!!

ChunLi

Don Juan
Reaction score
To be an effective martial artist, you need 3 things, to be fit, to know your techniques accurately and to have experience. For example, you can be a black belt in Karate and practice strictly by doing drills, such as no hitting below the belt, etc. but on the street, more often than not, that same black belt is going to get his a$$ handed to him on the street. Now, if you are practicing Kung Fu for fitness and for fighting, then almost any martial art style will do. There are some styles that will mess up your health, such Prey Mantis and Muay Thai, depending on what level you are practicing at. But since your focus is fitness and not fighting, you just have to practice your techniques accurate and regularly and you will slowly become fit, depending on how often you practice, you don't need experience.

If you are doing martial arts for fighting for whatever reason, then you need all three and you are better off practicing several styles because each style has its own strengths and weaknesses. For example, Wing Chun's weakness lies in the fact that you must be very close to your opponent, meaning that you must fight your way in. Against a style that attacks and injures anything moving, such as your arms and legs, this will mean that by the time you get in close to use a lot of your techniques, there are going to be several bruises, cuts or even ripped flesh on your arms and legs. An effective style to use against Wing Chun is Tiger Fist or Leopard Fist. Also note that just because Wing Chun completely specializes in close range combat doesn't mean that its going to win over a majority of styles, that is a hybrid between far and close combat or strictly far combat, in close range combat. Someone very good experienced in Tai Kwon Do, a ranged style, can still win over a Wing Chun practitioner in close range combat if they know what they are doing.

ChunLi

metahuman

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nightwing
Then I've witnessed several urban legends in person. LOL!!
BS. Why? When someone says "Joe kicked John's ass, and John is a martial artist", be skeptical.

metahuman

Banned
Reaction score
Study BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (jujitsu)). I'm a registered student at a local BJJ studio, but I don't have enough time to go.

felony

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
BJJ ?
Mind telling me a bit more about it?

I used to do taekwondo when i was about 10y/o, practiced i think once a week for a year .. you can imagine how that would have been. I was prolly in some crazy ass fantasy world fighting ninja turtles or some ****! but hey i got to keep my blue belt :)

Ok i'm pretty convinced about boxing. my parents are gonna be very much against it. but ah well too bad.

Does anyone happen to know any good schools / trainers in melbourne australia? or know where i can start looking?

I also found out that the international gung fu head quarters are here in melbourne! cool! given that i'm more inclined to learn some MAs stuff from those guys... who seem genuine, certified and they have grand masters and sh!t like that. haha.

THanks for all your assistance so far guys.

Credit to the DOn JUan community in that you can know nothing about anything one day, and then in little as 24 hours can know something about anything. And the something you know is often genuine personal experience and thus is worthwhile accurate information. quite a powerful network. OOO yeah i've got connections :)

regards,
felony.

Nightwing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BJJ ?

I used to do taekwondo when i was about 10y/o, practiced i think once a week for a year .. you can imagine how that would have been. I was prolly in some crazy ass fantasy world fighting ninja turtles or some ****! but hey i got to keep my blue belt :)

Ok i'm pretty convinced about boxing. my parents are gonna be very much against it. but ah well too bad.

Does anyone happen to know any good schools / trainers in melbourne australia? or know where i can start looking?

I also found out that the international gung fu head quarters are here in melbourne! cool! given that i'm more inclined to learn some MAs stuff from those guys... who seem genuine, certified and they have grand masters and sh!t like that. haha.

THanks for all your assistance so far guys.

Credit to the DOn JUan community in that you can know nothing about anything one day, and then in little as 24 hours can know something about anything. And the something you know is often genuine personal experience and thus is worthwhile accurate information. quite a powerful network. OOO yeah i've got connections :)

regards,
felony.

Good luck Felony, hope you find what youre looking for.

metahuman

Banned
Reaction score
BJJ ?

If you can find a BJJ studio in Australia, do BJJ not boxing. Though it's helpful to know both really well if you want to fight in oh say... the UFC. On the otherhand, most brawls end up on the ground so BJJ is a lot more useful to know. This is assuming that nobody is packing or wielding any blades. In that case, learn firearms or throwing knives.

Gracie Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu (Judo) FAQ
http://www.bjj.org/rma-faq.html

Kuen1

Don Juan
Reaction score
Figure out what you're looking for and then go take free classes, watch classes, and talk to instructors. Find the system that meets your goals and then train hard.
And, there is NO "weakness" in Wing Chun as a whole. The weakness is in the indivdual and perhaps his instructor regardless of the system.

Ice Cold

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want to be able to fight on the street, choose something that is currently used in the armed forces.

judo
sambo
the system
and there's israeli fighting style (forgot what it's called)

All of them are extremely simple and useful. They take finite time to master. You WILL apply them on the street if attacked. You have the capacity not only to disable your opponent in seconds, but to kill him, which may be useful in some scenarios...

The martial arts above are the eqivalents of AK-47 in the gun world. Cheap, easy to maintain and you hear BANG every time you press the trigger.