Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Best martial art for self defense

OlympicTim

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys im looking to get into self defence because it really bothers me that if I were to get attacked id be im big trouble.

What is the best martial art for self-defence? Ive been looking online and it seema like krav maga would be the best but does anyone here have an experience/insight

Tictac

Banned
Reaction score
Krav is basically military close combat training adapted for street fighting/surprise attack (getting jumped). So it's not strictly martial arts training. It is effective. But there isn't much "Mr. Miyagi - wax on, wax off" going on.

I was combat military and more recently trained at a Krav gym. I liked it.

But unless you're ready to get beat up and thrown around a bit, it's not for you.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Haven't done krav looks good. Filipino martial arts or silat also good as they do a lot of stick and knife defence which is a big danger in the streets. I'm not going to say anything about guns as we just don't have them in Australia.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
BTW whatever you decide to train in make sure you practice sidestepping and trying to get behind the attacker. If you side step and block and you miss your block its still OK. Also a stab will kill you a slash generally will not so your first move should always be off the line of attack. Moving backwards in the street is a bad idea as u will fall over and get your head kicked in.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah I nearly got to use it at tennis tonight would you believe. Some big guy who had been a complete tosser all match accused me of cheating on the score when I won the match and tell me to f*** off. so I step straight into his space and told him to take a shot unfortunately he didn't.

so yeah I guess it does give you more confidence when you have to deal with bullies the jokes on him because I'm an A Grade player and I was playing in the b grade. the only reason he got any games was I didn't have my glasses tonight. next time we play I'm going to take great pleasure in humiliating the f***** and shouting the score in his face everytime we change ends. can't believe it wankers didn't use to play tennis.

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey guys im looking to get into self defence because it really bothers me that if I were to get attacked id be im big trouble.

What is the best martial art for self-defence? Ive been looking online and it seema like krav maga would be the best but does anyone here have an experience/insight
You'll get a lot of different opinions on this one. I train Krav Maga (and Haganah if I come across a gym) 70% of the time and cross-train Eskrima/Silat 30% of the time.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah I nearly got to use it at tennis tonight would you believe. Some big guy who had been a complete tosser all match accused me of cheating on the score when I won the match and tell me to f*** off. so I step straight into his space and told him to take a shot unfortunately he didn't.

so yeah I guess it does give you more confidence when you have to deal with bullies the jokes on him because I'm an A Grade player and I was playing in the b grade. the only reason he got any games was I didn't have my glasses tonight. next time we play I'm going to take great pleasure in humiliating the f***** and shouting the score in his face everytime we change ends. can't believe it wankers didn't use to play tennis.
The most important thing you will gain from a good martial arts program is a quiet confidence that will lead to you avoiding confrontations like that. Knowing how to kill people with your bare hands makes you a lot more aware of the consequences of fighting. Once you know you can win the fight, you start thinking about if you can do so without avoiding jail afterward, and that is not nearly as easy. Even if the other guy swings first, your right of self-defense is only limited to the time he is still attacking. So your first counter-punch that knock hims back, provided he doesn't keep coming, is all that you get in the eyes of the law. When you hit him again, and it's not in immediate self-defense, that is battery. "He deserved it" is not a legal defense. Killing someone who deserves it is still murder.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Totally agree I shouldn't have done that.

Dealing with idiots like this is a good opportunity to practice self control.

My proudest to fight is one where I didn't touch the other guys. Got jumped by 2 drugged up guys who grabbed sticks out of somebody's garden. Keep circling and blocking until they got tired of it and ran off. Took a wicked defensive bruise to one of my arms. Never had to use it any other time but my training probably saved my life that night. Happy to keep it as an insurance policy.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The consensus advice about getting mugged at gun point is to give the mugger your money and run away. Outside a St Louis Cardinals baseball game this year, a guy did just that, and the mugger shot him in the back as he ran away. The bullet severed his spine; he won't walk again.

I go to a few Cardinals games every year. From now on I'm just going to assume that any mugger is going to shoot me anyway.. I would rather go out fighting than live my life in a wheelchair because of a fight I ran away from.