Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bench Press

cyrano

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm currently on a cutting cycle, and having read Diesel's excellent guide, am mixing Hi Intensity Cardio (4x Week) and low rep/heavy workouts (3-4 Week).
My problem is my bench press. I am 6'0, 190-195lbs (trying to get down to a strong 180), and am pressing 15 reps @60, for 2-3 sets. I can't do a 1RM, as I don't have a spotter (using military gym- place is deserted), and don't want to use a machine, as I won't get the full benefit of the exercise.

My questions are : what should I be aiming for on my bench press?
AND

What can I do to improve my bench, without needing to bulk?

Also, any good advice on decent (read Non-Steroid) suplementatation would be welcome.

Thanks

Cyrano

Reaction score
Dude you sound really weak.

You should forget the weights and become some big gay guys twinky.

Panther

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmmm.

Is that, 15 reps x 60 kg per set, or 15 reps in all sets total?

If u do 15 reps then that's hardly a low rep/heavy weight thing!

Try and keep your reps per set between 4 and 8 (increasing the weight appropriately).

During the cutting phase it's a little bit hard to build up your weight lifting (it was for me anyway), the purpose of lifting is to keep your muscles busy so your body doesnt eat up your lean mass to get energy. So keep the reps at the 4-8 margin, and don't worry if u dont improve much: when you're done with cutting and start bulking you'll be able to bench more and more each week.

ThePanther

Reaction score
Originally posted by Panther
Hmmm.

Is that, 15 reps x 60 kg per set, or 15 reps in all sets total?

If u do 15 reps then that's hardly a low rep/heavy weight thing!

Try and keep your reps per set between 4 and 8 (increasing the weight appropriately).

During the cutting phase it's a little bit hard to build up your weight lifting (it was for me anyway), the purpose of lifting is to keep your muscles busy so your body doesnt eat up your lean mass to get energy. So keep the reps at the 4-8 margin, and don't worry if u dont improve much: when you're done with cutting and start bulking you'll be able to bench more and more each week.

ThePanther
You sound like you have no idea what your talking about.

cyrano

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice panther.

To clarify I do three sets of 15@60 (45 in all)

I would like to go heavier, but don't want to risk dropping a bar on myself- even the last few of the last set are sketchy sometimes!! However, I think that the solution is to find a spotter, and to wait until after cutting before I focus on my press.

Thanks again

Cyrano

cyrano

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by 14yearoldmonster
Dude you sound really weak.

You should forget the weights and become some big gay guys twinky.
Dear 14 year old.

Thank you for your kind words. It was very clever of you to use your mental age as part of your username. We're all very impressed.

Unfortunately, I believe that you have already filled the big gay guy's twinky post, so I shall have to stick to the more heterosexual employment of suceeding with the type of women you might only dream of. Although, judging by the homosexual references in the majority of your other posts (I was so intrigued that I had to read them) it would appear to anybody with even the faintest grasp of Freudian psychology that you dream of men, and are in fact a closet homosexual:

Originally posted by 14yearoldmonster
First of all, dont kid yourself.

Your a loser, end of story.

Just admit to everyone here that your gay and we might be able to start helping you.
If that were the case, I'm sure you would love to 'help'.

But I digress...
I'm sure that you have some masturbation to be getting on with, or else you are gainfully spending more time trawling these boards in search of people to insult, in order to make your mediocre life that little bit better.

Don't stay up too late- Kindergarten tomorrow. And don't beat off too hard, or your trailer might fall down.

Kind regards

Cyrano

Reaction score
You need to stop using the bench press now! I used to press
every day but then I woke up one morning and couldn't use my arms. The doctor said that because of presses I destroyed my shoulders , wrists and elbows. Now I can't even masterbate!

G

George Spellwin

Try one-arm barbell bench press, lying on the ground of course, with your shirt off, pale white skin glistening in the sunlight, with tacks and broken glass tearing into your weak, puny back. This and only this will increase your bench by %12.34687, rounded down, of course....G. Spellwin, web site owner

cyrano

Don Juan
Reaction score
Oh. How nice, 14 year old has brought a friend along.

Read the above, just substitute the his name for yours.

Cyrano

Reaction score
Originally posted by cyrano
Dear 14 year old.

Thank you for your kind words. It was very clever of you to use your mental age as part of your username. We're all very impressed.

Unfortunately, I believe that you have already filled the big gay guy's twinky post, so I shall have to stick to the more heterosexual employment of suceeding with the type of women you might only dream of. Although, judging by the homosexual references in the majority of your other posts (I was so intrigued that I had to read them) it would appear to anybody with even the faintest grasp of Freudian psychology that you dream of men, and are in fact a closet homosexual:

If that were the case, I'm sure you would love to 'help'.

But I digress...
I'm sure that you have some masturbation to be getting on with, or else you are gainfully spending more time trawling these boards in search of people to insult, in order to make your mediocre life that little bit better.

Don't stay up too late- Kindergarten tomorrow. And don't beat off too hard, or your trailer might fall down.

Kind regards

Cyrano
let me know when you break 150 lbs okay?

heteropedro

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
14Monster is a loser

Hey 14 why dont you stfu :)

No one likes you anyway so shouldnt you be trying as hard as you can to suck up to everyone? I mean your basically hated and whenever someone sees your name on this site they basically think "Oh there goes that insecure f*g posting something about how gay the other person is. Man I feel bad for him."

Ya I feel pretty bad for you dude...Whats it like being hated by just about everyone?

Oh yeah and I doubt you can bench even 100. So let me know when you can bench a 100 okay?

Soshyopathe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
anyway, Cyrano, you can try reps of 6-8 without fear of dropping the weight. There is a technique that me and a few other guys I know employ. It's called letting the fear get it up.

There is no real danger of dropping the bar on yourself, unless your wrists suddenly snap, or you aren't really gripping the bar. So forget about that. The only problem now is that you fail to get the weight up. But if you really have danger and fear of failing, you will not fail. As soon as you start to struggle, let the fear help you press it up. Humans can almost double their strength when scared, because our muscles are only 40-60% efficient normally. When in fear, our central nervous system can up that percentage to damn near 100%, allowing freakish strength increase.

Your 15-rep sets aren't doing a thing for you. Drop it down to 6-8, and don't worry about the bar. Actually, worry about it, but let the worry get it up.