Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Bench Press

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
not detailed enough, bench press seems way more complicated than simply pushing the bar up and down without bouncing.

Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
not detailed enough, bench press seems way more complicated than simply pushing the bar up and down without bouncing.
Turn up the volume when you watch the video.

I give detailed instructions throughout.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Muscle Guy said:
How to perform the bench press with correct form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqjSX23LTHA
This guy's form is crap. He just lies down on the bench as if he was going to bed. You need to tighten up all your back muscles, squeezing them together and use your lats as the base from which to press up from. Leg muscles need to be tight and he needs to get a gap between his lower back and the bench.

Irs88

Don Juan
Reaction score
Also, what helped me was squishing my shoulder blades in the back when I am on the bench. It makes my back automatically have that gap in the middle.

Also bring in your arms so that your elbows are closer to your body(this puts less stress on your shoulders and you won't get an impingement or other shoulder injuries)

EFFORT

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Muscle Guy said:
Yes I went over this. Do not arch your back for obvious health reasons. Keep your butt on the bench.
so dave tate is wrong? (Better really think about it good before you reply to this one, your business credibility is falling very fast as it is)

shaunuk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thing is, although Dave Tate is *obviously* right in his powerlifting bench technique, I'm guessing Muscle Guy is talking more from a bodybuilding standpoint.

I've always done bench press (for bodybuilding) in a powerlifting-esque style anyway tho (to the best of my technical ability)

So while flaring your elbows and not using your lats as much might "hit your chest more", if you wanna get your bench press up to hit numbers, you're gonna wanna follow Dave Tate's advice (he *is* a world class powerlifter after all, lol)

yo EFFORT, u going on AIM much these days?

Reaction score
1. This is not a powerlifting video.
2. I tore my left labrum from boxing. So I have to perform the bench press with exact form.
3. My method is the best way to bench press without injuring yourself. The bench press has the highest rate of injury out of all exercises except for the olympic lifts: the clean and jerk and the snatch.
4. Powerlifting is ideal for developing strength. The physiques of powerlifters are not the best for attracting women.
5. Building your body and creating a masculine physique will attract women.
6. My weight lifting program is designed to build the maximum amount of muscle (hypertrophy), not to increase your bench numbers.
7. Yes I am familiar with the power lifting exercises. I perform heavy deadlifts and farmer walks. The only reason why I do these power exercises is for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Muscle Guy said:
4. Powerlifting is ideal for developing strength. The physiques of powerlifters are not the best for attracting women.
FAIL...just another gym rat rookie who thinks he knows what he is talking about.

Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
FAIL...just another gym rat rookie who thinks he knows what he is talking about.
B.S. Exercise Physiology
Northern Illinois University

Certifications
National Council on Strength and Fitness
National Academy of Sports Medicine

7 years experience as a personal trainer
bodybyotis.com

10 years experience as a weight lifter
I went from being a skinny kid with a potbelly to a man of form.

4 years experience as a boxer

By the way, my personal training clients pay me $6000/year each for personal training.

My book is $24.97. Very reasonable. Packed with knowledge. The knowledge I EARNED from years of experience and education.

Also, I am posting videos and workout tips, FREE OF CHARGE.

If you don't like it. Too bad. For every negative lowlife in here, there are 10 good people that will benefit from my knowledge.

Irs88

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe you are legit but thats a lot of money.

You can easily get all the info from this site or go to ironaddicts.com, IA is a very intelligent man. He is to me for working out as pook would be to self improvement(and being a man)

here are some other sites im sure a lot of well informed people on this site would agree with:

t-nation.com
ironaddicts.com
elitefts.com

These people/and the people in the forums know what they are talking about and its all free. Go there, read the stickies, and ask questions.

I can say with the 50 pounds I gained that these sites are 100% legit, free, time-efficient, and respected amongst most bodybuilders/powerlifters. I am also 100% sure that anyone in this site who knows a lot about bodybuilding, would agree that the above sites are 100% reliable.

S.Y.L

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I can go to bodybuilding.com and get all the advice I need from people who are bigger than you, who achieved a better physique than you in less time, for free, and I have. I went from being a weak ass fat kid at 180lbs at 27% bodyfat, to being pretty solid @ 5ft 6, 165lbs and 10% bf, in a year.

And of course benching is the most commonly injured excerize, because of all the dumb 14 year olds at the gym trying to bench way more than they can, and hurting themselves.

Real results>personal training certificates, which aren't hard to get

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The Muscle Guy said:
How to perform the bench press with correct form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqjSX23LTHA
Terrible. For all the reasons stated above. Plus:

Showing how to push a bare bar up and down doesn't give anyone a sense of the real mechanics. At least use weight you'd warm up with, so that one can get a sense that the entire body is involved, rather than just the chest (this is the equivalent of demonstrating a deadlift by picking up a yardstick).

Also, the camera angle is exactly useless. It appears that your elbows may be going below parallel with your torso, a big (but common) no-no, but it may just be because of the camera angle.

Finally, if you're going to go spam a forum with your "free" come-ons, at least make them forums you participated in prior to your spam.

Flyer

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Show me a clean & jerk or a snatch @ 2x bodyweight if you're so good muscle guy.

Bench is a strength exercise, not a 'power' exercise.

Reaction score
You fools realize that by making stupid comments, more people will read this. More replies=more viewers.

1. Yes I am aware of the existence of bodybuilding sites. My personal training clients can easily work out at the gym by themselves. Why do they hire me as their trainer? Once you can answer that question, you will be able to free yourself from your minimum wage job at subway.

2. Empty criticisms. I am well aware of the biomechanics of the bench press and have already spent a good deal of time explaining it to you. I have better things to do than waste my time on someone with an extra thick skull.

3. How many personal training certifications do you have? I want to you get the NASM certification and see if you can pass it. Also you ignore my college degree and YEARS OF EXPERIENCE.

4. Where in the post did I say I was an olympic weightlifter? The bench press is an compound exericise for the pectoralis major and minor, anterior deltoids, and triceps. It's just an exercise. Where did I saw power exercise? READ.

5. I have a lot more videos to post. Please continue making your stupid remarks. It will only help me.

CaptainJ

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
No one cares whether you're a jacked up, personal trainer/doctor/"insert extra bragging rights here". All we're saying is that the video you gave for bench press technique is crap. It's not safer, in fact you're more likely to injure yourself in such a laid back form, than if doing proper form dictated by Dave Tate.

Also there is no "bench press for bodybuilders" or "Bench press for powerlifters", there's only one type of bench press.

azanon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Best to think of these "high prices" as paying for their time. What are each of you guys worth? I make almost $40 an hr in my job, so if I'm going to spend 1hr of my time with someone and I'm not getting anything pleasurable out of it.... guess what you are going to be paying? :)

My point is simply this; Don't think of it as their knowledge (which seems expensive) vs. what you can find online for free. The difference of this comparison that you guys are missing is that with one of these options, you have an actual person there specifically just for you using their valuable time just for you. That's time he could be using somewhere else, perhaps making money doing something else.

Personal coaches (for anything) are expensive and to be completely honest, thought of as a luxury. The going rate for tennis coaches here ranges from $35-40/hr. I can't see why it'd be any different with a weight lifting coach.