Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Being too serious

happyendings

Don Juan
Reaction score
I was told by friends, family, co-workers, and women that I'm too serious and that I do not know how to lighten up. This comes off to a shock to me because I feel like I'm never serious matter a fact I think I have a "do not care attutide". So basically my question is my sosuave brothers and sisters how do I change my serious attutide into a more relaxed one much appreciated.

drewsg

Don Juan
Reaction score
I had this same problem, I even had someone call me mr serious.

Just smile more and be more outgoing. When people are around you, try and engage them in a friendly manner. It's not something you have to do all the time, but if you throw it out there sometimes, you'll look a lot more easy going.

Whereas people would blow past me without saying anything (Which was cool, because I didn't give a ****). Now girls give me the hey sweety, guys say what's up.. so it's totally cool now.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Id like to know what you believe you would be gaining if you did "change your serious attutide into a more relaxed one".

If you value what you would be gaining from changing your current outward demeanor to one in which these people would approve, you would have more insight on the reason and motivation TO change and have your own ideas on HOW to change IMO.

happyendings

Don Juan
Reaction score
What's friendly to me doesn't seem to be friendly to others. I admit I'm serious at work that's okay with me though. What's not okay with me is on my time off people told me I still hold that seriousness. I do not want to force a smile and I do engage in conversations that's what is shocking to me. What I would gain by changing my serious attutide it would be much easier to make contacts, women, bigger social circles. I feel like I gotta try harder than the more laid back guy.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
happyendings said:
What's friendly to me doesn't seem to be friendly to others.

Thats ok. But if it is creating conflict, and misunderstandings then I would think it would help to reflect on WHY. Its ok to be nice to people, and be a good guy. But different people have different perception filters. Thats why we have basic common courtesy, politeness, and respect.
If the person has qualities that we truly admire and cherish, then we honor them with our personal kindness and graciousness. We do so because we care. So if youre not happy with the resulting circumstances due to your choices, and if want happiness and value that and the people around you, then you may want to consider how to create bridges for connection, instead of blocking that sometimes.

I admit I'm serious at work that's okay with me though. What's not okay with me is on my time off people told me I still hold that seriousness.

Seriousness isnt automatically depression, or broken heartedness, or sadness, extreme self importance and arrogance. It isnt always about being obsessed, or overly preocuppied. But many people fear this kind of personality. Because we tend to project our fears into a vacuum, in this case, people dont know what you're thinking. Thus, they will project what they fear onto you, and then shame you into changing to ease their comfort levels. We are not responsible for other's comfort levels. But this does not mean we dont give a fvck.
We become aware of how people react to us, and if we arent showing respect and consideration, then it's probably time to make a change for the better.

So be careful of letting your beliefs be radically altered at this time. It is more important that you self realize, and be authentic, lead an authentic life, honor and respect yourself and your choices, and recognize what gifts does your personal individuality bring to the world. That means honor yourself, but have the humaness to see how others perceive you. If your actions and behavior are seriously negatively affecting others, then you may want to consider how valueable your current demeanor really is. What do you want? To be yourself, seriousness and all?
Or to please others, but not be true and congruent to yourself?
Or find the right place, where you feel free to express who you are without embrarassment, shame, guilt, or insecurity, but still honor and respect, and show your appreciation to others around you? Remember, it is about showing respect to others. Not about kissing ass.
People need respect, they dont need to have their ass kissed. We need to live in a world where we respect each others place in the world, and life circumstances, but the loving thing to do is to go through the world with consideration for others, yet being true to one's SELF. Especially when one believes in treating others as one would like to be treated. Many people think this is being weak, and naive. That others will walk over you. But it is not. It is about carrying ones sense of honor, dignity, character, class, and respect for oneself, and then for others.
No one is entitled to these things.
However, it is our right to show kindness and graciousness to those whom we see have this for the world. But no one is entitled to it. And we are not entitled to others as well.
It is about having balanced exchanges.
And avoiding unneccsary hurting of others due to callousness and lack of awareness.

Only you knows what goes up in that head. No one else does.
So if you ARE obsessing over trivialities or overly preoccupied with yourself, then those ARE aspects that are not helpful to you nor help build bridges with others.
So you must FIND the VALUE in connecting with others, otherwise, you wont want to change your overall demeanor.

I do not want to force a smile and I do engage in conversations that's what is shocking to me.

It is important to be authentic. But it may appear you dont know how you are projecting yourself to others. Sometimes we are too up in our head to pay attention to our actions and behavior. This may be why you feel 'shocked'. Your self image, how YOU see yourself,and what you seem to be projecting apparently are two radically different things.

What I would gain by changing my serious attutide it would be much easier to make contacts, women, bigger social circles.

Then I advise you to examine this goal and why you want this. This alone will steer you in the direction you want to go.
And then examine again, WHY do you want contacts, women, and bigger social circles?
Examine your motivations. This is crucial.

I feel like I gotta try harder than the more laid back guy.

What is it youre trying to get?
Have to try harder for what?
These are important questions to think about.
What is it about the more laid back guy that you would like for yourself?
What do you want to project to people?

Last edited:

happyendings

Don Juan
Reaction score
I want people to feel comfortable around me and not feel like they got to be on the defensive. When I speak to people I do not try to come off like I want some people to be on the defensive, but it always comes off that way.

Interceptor

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
happyendings said:
I want people to feel comfortable around me and not feel like they got to be on the defensive. When I speak to people I do not try to come off like I want some people to be on the defensive, but it always comes off that way.

You know what may be a good idea?
How about looking up some actors in movies you like, and observing how they deal with others in the movie?
That way you might be able to have some sort of frame of reference that you can compare to. So at least you have a starting point in how you would prefer to interact with others.

We cant control how others perceive us. So that has to be well understood.

But we can find ways to communicate, express, and share our gifts with others in manners that people dont find abrasive or callous.

So I suggest maybe you try have a sort of mental image of how you would like your interactions to go, and then find the key elements that you think you can develop to try to set the stage for that to possibly develop.
Sure, a movie is not real life. They are actors after all.
But I think a frame of reference will help you begin making conscious decisions on how you want to behave with others to experience the life you want to live.

happyendings

Don Juan
Reaction score
I do take an interest for what people say but some people feel that my reaction is too serious. At times I recognize that my reaction seems serious it just comes out that way though. Thanks bros

Poonani Maker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Get dumber. When you dumb down yourself, don't take yourself so seriously, then people won't think you're so serious. Just wear a smile from your brain to your sleeve and heart. People should see you as walking smiling light. Happy.

Soprano

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
whenever im feelin too serious i just watch some funny movies or comedy central....and try not to value what people say too much, i used to do that a lot, but ill barely debate with someone over a damn thing now....

also music like ludacris and 50 cent, they say a lot of **** that just gets me crackin up and lightens me up

kingman

Don Juan
Reaction score
1. Look people in the eye when they are talking.
2. Listen and respond
3. Make fast answers with little thinking.
4. Joke around
5. Smile when you are talking
6. Learn to be relaxed with your body language.
7. Don`t act like you are smarter than anyone. ( Adapt to peoples IQ )
8. Try to care about how other people respond to you
9. Don`t hide your emotions

Be with people who are not serious. When you are with relaxed people you get more relaxed. That is because you will be tempted to be free like relaxed people. Relaxed people are freedom lovers.

Think this RSD site might can help : http://alexattitude.com/?p=35

Last edited:

happyendings

Don Juan
Reaction score
I will post a field report this week maybe you guys could see what it is that I'm doing wrong. I will try to make it audio also bare with me people.

Da Realist

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sometimes people say I'm too serious. So what I do is say something completely off the wall in a kind of nonchalant way and just see how much I can mess with them. Serves them right....

Voice

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Interceptor:
Seriousness isnt automatically depression, or broken heartedness, or sadness, extreme self importance and arrogance. It isnt always about being obsessed, or overly preocuppied. But many people fear this kind of personality. Because we tend to project our fears into a vacuum, in this case, people dont know what you're thinking. Thus, they will project what they fear onto you, and then shame you into changing to ease their comfort levels. We are not responsible for other's comfort levels. But this does not mean we dont give a fvck.
This is a really interesting incite. I don't understand what you mean about why people are afraid of serious personalities. Could you go a little deeper on this subject?