"So, What Do You Do for Fun?"

She asks it casually, mid-sip. And you feel the floor open up, because the honest answer is work, gym, and a couple shows you're half-watching.

Women rarely say this out loud, but a man with a life is attractive before he says a word. The guy who spent Saturday deep-sea fishing and came back with photos and a story — he walks in already interesting.

The "22 Rules" pushed me to build a life worth talking about. Turns out the fastest way to be interesting to women is to be interested in your own life first.

Read more...

Beating the blues

willtmail

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Hey guys,

Hope this post finds you all well. I'm in a rut - how do you guys beat the blues? It's easy to be really smooth and nonchalant when you're in a good groove, but when you're feeling down on yourself, it can seem like the whole world is sh!tting on you. Just wanted to solicit any ideas for getting over this rut. I think this would be helpful to most people too - because people feel sad from time to time.

Also, that reminds me - some people are ALWAYS happy. Do y'all think it's just that they act happy all the time - or do they know something I don't? Thanks, guys.
 

"You'll Never Feel READY to Walk Over"

Next Monday you'll feel more confident. After the gym you'll feel more confident. After one more drink you'll feel more confident. After you get a better haircut, a better jacket, a better job.

You've been "getting ready" for two years.

She's standing ten feet away right now. She'll be gone in four minutes. No amount of preparation will manufacture the courage that only comes from moving your feet.

Walk over. Stumble through the first sentence. Let it be clumsy. Let it be imperfect. You will feel more alive in those ten seconds than you have all month.

Read more...

evolvingnerd

Senior Don Juan
Joined
Jun 17, 2004
Messages
257
Reaction score
0
Location
Brisbane, Australia
go to your happy place!
or, distract urself

forget about trying to be happy for others
first concentrate on making urself happy by doing whatever things u find fun
 

xsonik

Don Juan
Joined
Sep 7, 2004
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Age
51
Location
Romania
When I have the blues, I don't listen to myself. I tell myself "your not in the right mindset to make decisions or come to conclusions about anything right now". Basically don't come to any conclusions about yourself, or your outlook of life when your depressed. Knowing when you have the blues is very helpful sometimes. At least you know you shouldn't think the same way when your happy. I used to make a ****load of bad decisions/conclusions when I was depressed or down. The point is, delay any judgements about yourself, any blows to your self esteem, and any bad outlook you may get in your head while you are depressed. I hope this provides some insight. Sometimes it's hard to step outside of ourselves to realize somethings.
-Ron
 
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
4,280
Reaction score
8
Location
Wisconsin. USA
Having the 'blues' is normal! People who are 'always' happy or seem to be happy are genetically predisposed with such a condition or have a positive outlook (attitude) on life!
 

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 11, 2002
Messages
3,015
Reaction score
5
I dont think anyone is always happy. Most people who know me would probably say I am always happy, because I always search for the positive in everything, am constantly laughing and always smiling. But let me tell you, I have my moments, I have times when I am very sad, but they always pass in time.

Others I know well, like my cousin or my mum who are the same, ALWAYS HAPPY, also have their moments that only the people very close to them see.

As far as beating the blues, I say stay active, NEVER just sit around because you are feeling sad, those are the times you have to distract your mind. Do excersise a few times a week, try not to take drugs or drink too much alcohol. Keep a healthy diet, and surround yourself by positive people who you get along with well.
 

"Why Women Dump the Guys Who Try the Hardest"

You paid for dinner. You drove. You said "whatever you want is fine" every single time. All the effort, no expectations.

And she left anyway — probably for a guy who makes her pick up the pizza.

Painful. Also predictable. Her mind quietly concludes that anything requiring zero effort from her is worth exactly zero. You became a free sample, and free samples get taken for granted.

The 22 Rules flip the dynamic. Small shifts that get her investing effort, money, and time in you — until SHE'S the one afraid of losing YOU.

Read more...

willtmail

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Thanks for your responses, guys.

Clooney, what you said particularly interested me. You said that you are always smiling and stuff. Are you like that even when you are sad? In other words, do you find that you force the smiles and laughter? If you do, how do you do that? That's pretty hard to do - I've tried.

I TOTALLY agree with the staying active theory. Do y'all do anything to it pass? I ask because I can force myself to go out and interact, but the downs always seem that much lower when you're in the pits already.

Ron, I'm not quite sure I understand what you're saying...
 

MindOverMatter

Master Don Juan
Joined
May 21, 2004
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
12
When you're feeling blue, the trick is to look for the smallest positive thing in every single thing that happens to you. For every bad thing that's bothering you, find 3 positive things in your life to balance it out. Always think positive, always look for the best in the worst.

Don't listen to depressing music even tho it feels right listening to it. Listen to something upbeat, or even something angry, even if you don't feel like listening to it, because it will clear the depression and help you think straight.

And when something good happens to you, make the most of it.

One thing I've noticed was that when bad things start happening, all it takes is one good thing to turn the whole streak around.

Most importantly, f*ck the past, you got tommorow to worry about.
 

Juggalo

Don Juan
Joined
Jun 24, 2004
Messages
107
Reaction score
0
Live your life to the fullest and forget about all the **** in your life. Correct the wrongs and make things better.

There are ways around everything.

If you're friends are giving you ****....make new ones.

If you're not happy with your girlfriend anymore....dump her.

If you're down and in the blues.....do **** that will make you happy and will get your mind off of the stuff that's getting you down!
 

willtmail

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Don't listen to depressing music even tho it feels right listening to it. Listen to something upbeat, or even something angry, even if you don't feel like listening to it, - mindovermatter
That's very true - it does feel so right listening to it. I've even made a list of "sad songs."

So the consensus is that the blues can be worked out of? That we should just do what we do... I agree with that, except it's often very hard to get the ball rolling, if you know what I mean. When you're in a rut, all you want to do is sleep it all away - at least that's how I get.

I'm still curious about Clooney (and any others who are ostensibly "happy" like him all the time) - what about the times you don't feel so jolly? Do you force it? And why and how? Because when you're sad, mostly you want people (not necessarily friends, just acquaitances and others) around you to be happy - and no happy people really want to hang out with someone sad. (Just giving a rationale for why I'm asking)

Thanks guys.
 

"Stop Asking Your Friends What to Text Her"

Your buddy Dave has been single for three years and thinks "hey u up" is a valid strategy. Your other buddy Mike just got dumped and told you to "just be yourself."

You showed them her text. You asked them to decode the emoji. You drafted four responses and sent the screenshot to the group chat for a vote.

She's been waiting forty minutes.

Put the phone down. Stop crowdsourcing your love life. Type something that sounds like you. Hit send. Then go do literally anything else with your evening.

Read more...

Heizen

Senior Don Juan
Joined
May 7, 2004
Messages
422
Reaction score
0
Location
Vienna, VA
Enjoy life; dont dispair in the lows.

After all, if you were happy all the time, would it feel the same? Would you know what happyness was like if you DIDNT have that moment of low? Would you still love your favorite food if it was all you ate ALL day every day? Of course not.

You need the blue every now and then you will truly enjoy it when you are happy again :)
 
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
4,280
Reaction score
8
Location
Wisconsin. USA
I say some of us are geneticaaly predispopsed to constantly being in a happy state just as some may be genetically predisposed to a more somber reserved state.

I can honestly say that I never had a sad or depressed moment in my life - OK maybe one or two times max. My problem is anger - I ger angry at myself at times! Iam always in good spirits unless I'm angry! :mad:
 
Last edited:

CLOONEY

Master Don Juan
Joined
Jan 11, 2002
Messages
3,015
Reaction score
5
Originally posted by willtmail
Thanks for your responses, guys.

Clooney, what you said particularly interested me. You said that you are always smiling and stuff. Are you like that even when you are sad? In other words, do you find that you force the smiles and laughter? If you do, how do you do that? That's pretty hard to do - I've tried.

Yes, I am like it even when I am sad. The smiles and laughter are usually not forced, I think I have just the natural control over my emotions to pretend I am happy. I still laugh at things because they are funny and I still smile at things I like, even though I am not feeling happy underneath. Most people dont see the saddness in me, except a couple of people who know me very very well.

Its hard to explain. I mean, just because you are sad, sometimes you still find things funny yeah? And I am usually always smiling etc because generally I try and be very nice to everyone. Some people seem to think I am always happy and just talk to everyone, people tell me this all the time. Like I am the kind of person who never has an uncomfortable moment with anyone cause I am just always relaxed and laughing. LOL, if only they knew. Underneath sometimes I am very anxious and sad, I guess its just a very good front I have developed.

However that said, I am generallly happy all the time, or at least content. My sad moments and sad times wont last longer than a few hours generally, and at most a few days.

As far as you just waiting it out.........the things I said will help, however the NUMBER 1 THING TO DO IS STAY ACTIVE!

When you are feeling down and depressed you cant wallow in your own self pity, you have to keep moving, this is the time when show u are a man and a warrior and push on with your life! This I say very strongly, as I saw what happened to my dad who I lost to suicide just over 3 months ago!
 

Befuddled

Don Juan
Joined
Oct 26, 2003
Messages
158
Reaction score
0
Age
46
Location
Perth, Australia
hmmm... i know what you mean, i think we have all been there. Just keep in mind...'what dosent kill you, only makes you stringer' :).

Going through too much stree eh ? classes, money,girls, friends, etc ? happens to all of us.

What do i do ?
1. get a good playlist(happy and upbeat and encouraging, as opposed to blues and sad songs)

2. get my surf board into my car, and head to the beach...spend the good part of the day on the surf...helps get my mind off everything.... kinda like..... leaving your bagage on the shore and taking time away from it all :)

3. work out at the gym

4. go for long walks

To move on...sit yourself down, and get some short term goals, such as homework, or going to the gym daily or readign that book yo ualways wanted to, and just start doing them. Always works....also...be around the people you sonsider to be your real friends.
 

willtmail

Don Juan
Joined
Nov 18, 2003
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Hey all,

All of your responses are great. Sorry to hear about your dad, Clooney.

I think that's great that you have one of those personalities where people think you're always happy. Where can I buy one of those? I think what PR_Lover said about genetic predisposition might make sense... although I hope it isn't true. I'm sarcastic at times, but I find that makes it a little difficult to make new friends. I think I have to put effort into seeming even semi-interested in talking - even if I'm completely absorbed in the topic. I might come off as way aloof and mean if I don't.

I think it's because I might have attached these negative connotations to smiling - it was something I used to do to try to get girls to like me... smile all the time, stay nice, don't say anything offense, y'all know the deal - the people who smile because they want to be liked. But then there are other people who smile and it doesn't come across as supplication.

It's weird... to some people I'm the most outgoing person - they can't believe I have a shy side, but with others, I just can't think of a single thing to say and I smile and nod in agreement because what else can I do... and that's where I think the smile might be damaging. Anyway, that was a little digression.

I guess it's good to smile and fake happiness even if you are sad - it just takes a massive amount of energy on my part.
 

“The 22 Rules That Turned Me From Invisible to Irresistible With Women… Starting Tonight”

You can skip the expensive cars, the fancy clothes, and the endless gym selfies. Completely unnecessary.

I used to freeze the second a beautiful woman looked my way. Frustrated. Awkward. Watching other guys walk away with the girl while I stood there tongue-tied.

Then I discovered 22 simple rules that rewired my entire dating life. The anxiety vanished. Conversations flowed effortlessly. Women started chasing me for a change.

These rules trigger a woman's subconscious attraction switches. And you can start using them tonight.

Read more...

rjherche

Don Juan
Joined
May 5, 2004
Messages
81
Reaction score
0
My advice is to immerse yourself in your hobbies and passions while spending lots of time with your buddies. When your life doesn't revolve around chicks so much it's alot harder to get down about some wack *****.
 
Top