Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Barbie & Oppenheimer

inquisitor

Don Juan
Reaction score
Have you seen it? What did you think?

I have to say, kudos to Barbie for expounding more on sexual dynamics while staying a light-hearted comedy.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Barbenheimer, lol. There is allot of hype on it and while I was interested in seeing Oppenheimer (I am a bit of a Chris Nolan fan as a director), I heard one negative review of it being too long and boring and one of the worst movies he has made. I also have problems visiting the cinema though I was intent this movie would have been my cinema ice breaker and planned to visit the cinema to watch this since March, I think I might break that promise. I will be sure to bump this thread 3-4 months from now when it hits digital.

Dr.Suave

Reaction score
I took my fiancee to the barbie movie. We agree the movie had an identity crisis.

It couldnt decide if it wanted to entertain us or lecture us about feminism and the patriarchy (which btw seems to be a trend lately: movies, tv series, youtubers, etc trying to lecture you. I hate this trend, I just want to be entertained). When the movie was just trying to entertain, it wasnt half bad, it was a perfectly decent popcorn movie.

But when it wanted to lecture you, oh boy. I normally like America Ferrera, but I hated her character here.

At some point she goes off on this really long, boring monologue about how hard it is to be a woman or something. I yawned so hard halfway through her monologue and some girl in the audience started giggling.

Billtx49

Reaction score
In my opinion, Barbie is another useless waste of film. Movies should usually tell a story from a certain perspective, not designed to get the viewer questioning current matriarchy vs. patriarchy realities …
Hollywood has somehow lost its core mission - Entertainment …
I’m now currently waiting for the inevitable emergence of tranny / transitioning movies.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to see Oppenheimer for sure, looks really interesting, but I'll probably wait until it's on some sort of streaming service to see it. Barbie looks like a decent premise, but as @Billtx49 says movies today are too much about political messaging. Movies with a female lead especially is liable to be stuffed to the gills with feminist, anti-male content.

Speaking of movies, I watched Nope last night and thought it was pretty good. Reminded me very much of A Quiet Place, I thought it had a very similar feel, so if you liked that you'd probably like this.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I want to see Oppenheimer for sure, looks really interesting, but I'll probably wait until it's on some sort of streaming service to see it. Barbie looks like a decent premise, but as @Billtx49 says movies today are too much about political messaging. Movies with a female lead especially is liable to be stuffed to the gills with feminist, anti-male content.

Speaking of movies, I watched Nope last night and thought it was pretty good. Reminded me very much of A Quiet Place, I thought it had a very similar feel, so if you liked that you'd probably like this.
This Oppenheimer looks like an event for Nolan Enthusiasts. The movie is both shot and played with IMAX and has practical effects and you are not going to get the full experience if you wait for streaming. If I was able to visit the cinema and was pumped up with lots of caffine (ie as the story is boring, especially in first watch), I would make sure not to miss this. I think I've watched virtually every Nolan movie in cinema except Tenet 2020 (because of the pandemic) since Inception (2010). Even if I'm unable to watch it in cinema (personal reasons), I'd encourage you to see this the way it was meant to be seen.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If I was able to visit the cinema and was pumped up with lots of caffine (ie as the story is boring, especially in first watch), I would make sure not to miss this.
I'm interested in history, so I don't think I'd find it boring. I wouldn't mind watching it on the big screen, but I doubt that I would get around to it. And the nearest IMAX theater is about 80 miles from me. Also, it's a three hour movie, and I notice as I get older I have a hard time sitting in one seat for that long.

Divorced w 3

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oppenheimer was half an hour too long. Didn’t need all the Congress stuff. Was trying to be a bomb pic and then decided it needed to go unreasonably long into the congressional process. Explosion though was worth the price of admission.

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Oppenheimer was half an hour too long. Didn’t need all the Congress stuff. Was trying to be a bomb pic and then decided it needed to go unreasonably long into the congressional process. Explosion though was worth the price of admission.
Then it sounds like First Man (2018), which in many accounts was also an IMAX movie recreating the moon-landing. Most of the movie was a boring exposition until you came to the moon landing which was worth the price of admission. Just except for a moon landing you have an atomic explosion.

LTG71

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It couldnt decide if it wanted to entertain us or lecture us about feminism and the patriarchy (which btw seems to be a trend lately: movies, tv series, youtubers, etc trying to lecture you. I hate this trend, I just want to be entertained). When the movie was just trying to entertain, it wasnt half bad, it was a perfectly decent popcorn movie.

But when it wanted to lecture you, oh boy. I normally like America Ferrera, but I hated her character here.
This narrative is getting old. These feminists have fathers that enabled them to have the life they have. If it wasn’t for fathers they wouldn’t be alive for fvck sake. Patriarchy is there as a stable force to keep things in order. I drive to work and pass major road construction everyday. Don’t see a single woman out there doing hard labor, only men doing this job everyday. I say we put all these feminists on an island and see how long they survive without men. I don’t care to see Barbie because it is rooted in hatred of men. I’d rather see Oppenheimer since it is based on history and something created by a man, not a purple haired whiny b!tch.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I’d rather see Oppenheimer since it is based on history and something created by a man, not a purple haired whiny b!tch.
Interesting that Oppenheimer shows the other side of the coin of man though. Meaning it is usually men who make war, and in this case killed over 100,000 people. Also interesting that as devastating as the atomic bombs were, the firebombing of Tokyo was just as destructive and deadly, or more.

inquisitor

Don Juan
Reaction score
I took my fiancee to the barbie movie. We agree the movie had an identity crisis.

At some point she goes off on this really long, boring monologue about how hard it is to be a woman or something. I yawned so hard halfway through her monologue and some girl in the audience started giggling.
In my perspective, Barbie was a satire, and I laughed all throughout. It addressed sexual dynamics quite well - it gave a voice to that which was usually quiet.

inquisitor

Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember the beginning where the children broke their baby dolls? That was a satirical rejection of motherhood and acceptance of abortion. That was funny as hell.

Millard Fillmore

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Movies used to make their point much more subtly. Nobody wants a lecture. Show, don't tell. Silence of the Lambs was a great example of this viz. feminism. I'm not arguing for/against, just that Demme did a great job showing those dynamics at work w/o once having to say anything.

Modern Man Advice

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Here is my take:

Barbie - While I am not interested one bit in seeing it, I did see the trailer and it only reinforced the fact that I do not wanna see it. So I let my girl go see it who is well versed on my thoughts, beliefs, and opinions on masculinity and feminity (including modern feminism) and report back. Lo and behold, they were scenes where they ridiculed men and only empower feminity (and not the good kind of feminity). It does create a Barbie mentality (like the Disney mentality) and empowers modern feminism which we all know is a victimization and competition movement on who now gets to suffer and who is now on top instead of uplifting both genders. Overall she thought it was funny but agreed with me that is a movie I (or anyone) would not take anything of substance from other than maybe a laugh or two.

Oppenheimer - I'm surprised some members didn't like it. Perhaps it went over their heads. The story is great and quite accurate. The music and sound design is spot on. It's a movie that takes you on a sensory and emotional rollercoaster and overload. Some parts are intense (and I ride motorcycles, so trust me). But the main takeaway is the timing of the movie, here is a movie talking about the beginning of the end of the world. About the unjustified power of man over nature. He (and the team around him) didn't just create a new weapon, he effectively created a new world. The end of the movie (the scene between Oppenheimer and Einstein) pretty much nails it. Again the timing of it is quite interesting given that we are on the verge of complete world chaos and destruction (many people are unaware of this, perhaps bamboozled and distracted by movies like Barbie who knows). Just like the timing of "Asteroid City" which also carries a strong message of (and to) the world we live in right now. To summarize: Edge of your seat and strong message/warning.

Last edited:

eli77

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think nolan is saving all his energy for the sequel of tenet. Quick question how much are you guys paying movie theaters here in south Florida averaging $11 per ticket on the weekend

corrector

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think nolan is saving all his energy for the sequel of tenet. Quick question how much are you guys paying movie theaters here in south Florida averaging $11 per ticket on the weekend
Yeah, I'm still processing Tenet. I've watched this movie four times, the most recently was just this past month (bought this off youtube when it was digitally released - the first time I watched it was hooked enough to watch it from beginning to end rather than segment it out like I normally do). It has an soundtrack (ie Posterity/Plan-Travis Scott) that sort of sticks with you.

I've just recently placed in an order for a Blu-Ray to go over Tenet's special features. With me it's a masterpiece of cinema. I'm not sure that Nolan is the type of director to make sequels though. Maybe his movies (ie in Tenet movie, Oppenheimer was referenced in the dialogue, Dunkirk was another WW2 movie that hae had made earlier) may be interconnected in a wierd way like M. Night Shayamalan (ie Glass/Split/Unbreakable). But sequels is not his style. I don't think Jordan Peele has done sequels either.

The Duke

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This narrative is getting old. These feminists have fathers that enabled them to have the life they have. If it wasn’t for fathers they wouldn’t be alive for fvck sake. Patriarchy is there as a stable force to keep things in order. I drive to work and pass major road construction everyday. Don’t see a single woman out there doing hard labor, only men doing this job everyday. I say we put all these feminists on an island and see how long they survive without men. I don’t care to see Barbie because it is rooted in hatred of men. I’d rather see Oppenheimer since it is based on history and something created by a man, not a purple haired whiny b!tch.
I love your honesty sir. I'll help you round them up.