Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Baldness

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
At 21 years old, I'm losing my hair, and its definately starting to get noticeable.

I have probably the worst pattern out there - I'm losing it everywhere except in the sides and the back. My family has a history of baldness - my dad has very thin hair in exactly the same areas that Im losing it, and my moms father has been completely bald for a long time. So, its in my genes, and there is no stopping it.

Ive been taking Propecia for a few years and I think its helped me a little (I would problably have less now), but I think it might be time to start considering doing something more about it relatively soon.

This condition of mine hasn't noticeably impacted my ability to attract women, but it definately affects my confidence at times.

The way I see it, there are only two options

1.) Shave my head completely, or cut it extremely short everywhere. This would be a drastic change, and I'm not sure if I would look good with it. It would be embracing my baldness. But it would be the cheap option, and I know that some men are able to pull off the bald Jean-Luc Picard look.

2.) Shell out several thousand dollars for a hair transplant. I actually have the money to afford this. Ive always been good about saving money and Ive gotten some big paid internships some past summers that have gotten me a lot of $$$. Plus, I know my parents would be willing to chip in to help me. Results are permanent and they last a lifetime.

Question is, is it worth it? It WOULD seriously deplete my funds if I were to pay for all of it.

Thoughts?

ExcelNPrevail

Don Juan
Reaction score
Man oh man.

All I have to say is I'm younger than you, I'm already balding, my temples are receding and my vertex is getting noticable balder.

I dont have the money for a surgery, but guess what?? Even If did I wouldnt do it. If your surgery goes wrong (I'm not trying to wish you any kind of bad luck, trust me) then you wont even be able to revert to your "chosen bald look" which is to shave it all off.

You can but if the surgery goes wrong you'll have nasty scars which will in all honesty make you look worse than before. I would know I have seen it with my own eyes.(Not on me of course.)

Just look at Neil Strauss for some inspiration.

Cheers man, and good luck. I know youll pick the right choice.

I just know it.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Got a pic man?

If its as bad as you say it is get it cut close all over. Its the only way to go. Whats done is done, learn to live with it.

Paying money for quick fixes is useless in my mind, you have to pay out large amounts of money just to temperley cover up something which you see as a PROBLEM with your looks (balding).

Go the quick fix route and have the attitude 'im balding there is something wrong with my appearance which im covering up' (no pun intended) attitude in your mind. That **** will eat your self confidence alive. Stop the pills magic potions as if they really worked how many bald guys would there be? Rich bald guys are proof there is no cure yet and what options there are they do not work well!

I say get a haircut ;) its your destiny. Accept your new haircut do not dwell on it move on. Tackle it by the horns cut it now and move on or dwell on it and let your pide and self confidence suffer.

Turn yourself into this guy
http://www.lat34.com/_/Photo/500xNone/kelly_slater_kelly_slater-vince.jpg

speakeasy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maybe just accept that male pattern baldness is completely normal and not worry about it? Think of the hundreds of men you see every day, do you sit there judging them by how much hair they have left? Most don't, any more than they judge you by your eye color. You can cut it down close if you hate it, that's what a lot of guys do now. If you're a white dude, it's now more acceptable to shave your head without being accused of being a nazi skinhead.

Ridingthelightning

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
My buddy is 21, knew he would lose his hair and he has. So what did he do about it? Gave me a set of clippers and said, "Shave it." It doesn't look bad and its actually rather bold.
I think i'll emplore this technique when mine goes as well. Many women think it looks good, and if they don't then piss on them anyhow.

Evolve

Don Juan
Reaction score
Shaved head is way better than the balding look anyways. So you have no choice ;)

Smartone84

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
news flash - not everyone looks good with the "shaved look"

silenthill

Don Juan
Reaction score
tough one. i would say just cut it short. not completly shaved but close.

Serg897

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ive really been leaning against the surgery because of the money aspect..and frankly, because going bald is not really much of a detriment to your life as I have observed.

There are plenty of bald men out there who are successful and happy and get all the women they want.

Its just a tough choice though. I cant decide if I want to do something drastic NOW or wait a little longer. And its still up in the air whether or not being completely bald would look good on ME.

Rounder

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
It happens. Don't fight it. My buddy and I just talked about this the other day.

When I was about 22 my stylist told me I was getting thin - she said "you won't be able to cut your hair like this for much longer" - she was always good at keeping me looking good.

So now I just keep it very very short. I'm going to trying shaving it at some point, but haven't gotten the balls up yet to do that.

One upside is - you save money and time getting haircuts. I have a couple of trimmers with variable length attachments. My mom does my hair about every 2 or 3 weeks now - she cut my dad's hair for years.

Couple other upsides - your hair is easy to fix in the morning and you don't use much shampoo either! haha

I'd love to have my hair back but it isn't happening, life goes on and plenty of women like bald or very short hair.

Embrace it.

The Master Disaster

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with these guys. It's worth a shot; plus if it doesn't pan out well than you can look into transplants.

I thank god everyday that my mother blessed me with incredibly thick rich hair.

We all have our obstacles. The good thing is this one can be beaten.

cordoncordon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm actually really surprised Propecia hasn't worked better for you. I've heard great things about it.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you get a hair transplant at your age there is a 95% chance that by the time you are 30 you will regret it for the rest of your life.

If you have the head shape for it, by all means shave it and forget about it.

If shaving isn't an option for whatever reason and you want some more options, PM me. I am indirectly involved in the hair replacement industry.

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my brother is worried about this, our family mostly has very thin hair and balding so he's been taking propecia for awhile. as well as Rogaine. it's worked for him pretty well.

personally i notice my hair thinning out a little, but i keep a mostly stress free life and i take better care of my hair than most guys, so my hair is still thickish soft and fluffy :)

i wouldn't know what i'd do if i lost it. i feel for you guys and hope you find the answers your looking for.

Four_Aces

Don Juan
Reaction score
That's rough. My dad's side has always had a full head of hair even into age 50's. My mom's side however, has not. I hope to god I do not inherent my mom's side of the DNA.

Might want to look into Nutrition Therapy for the time you have left with the hair... or shave bald like mentioned above.

timorozco

Don Juan
Reaction score
also, if you're 21 and baldning, keep note that a hair transplant may not last you the rest of your life, your current set of folicles lasted 21 yrs, and those were BRAND new. your second set may not last as long.

also, keep track of sexual effects on propecia, heard some scary things.

horaholic

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Remember this: The less hair you have, the more head you get.

Some chicks dig bald guys, believe it or not. Its whats inside that counts.

If you ever get a comment, say "I like lots of head, dont you?"

I have a genetically inherited beergut. To chicks, I say; "This is the gas tank to my love-machine." Then, I grab them from behind and spoon them and say "see how it fits the curves of your back?" and they ALWAYS go "yeah, you're right."

Find a way to do that with being bald, and you've just turned lemons into lemonade!