Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Aspartame

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting Optinum Nutrition 100% Whey, but I have a concern. I know that most wheys has sweetners in it, but I have heard some really bad things about aspartame. To anyone that knows, is the sweetner in ON whey, aspartame? Or is it Suclarose (Splenda) or what? I know that in EAS the sweetner is Suclarose...but I'm not sure about ON. Anyone know?

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ryannath said:
I'm thinking about getting Optinum Nutrition 100% Whey, but I have a concern. I know that most wheys has sweetners in it, but I have heard some really bad things about aspartame. To anyone that knows, is the sweetner in ON whey, aspartame? Or is it Suclarose (Splenda) or what? I know that in EAS the sweetner is Suclarose...but I'm not sure about ON. Anyone know?

No it isn't Aspartame. It is acesulfame potassium, or Ace K. (it is artificial)

All of them are GRAS and approved as non-caloric sweeteners. There is still debate on the safety of them, and you can avoid what ever you'd like and choose a protein with what you'd like if you so choose. My theory, is that at the amounts that are prob in what we consume, our chances of walking across the street and getting killed by a flying bird are more likely. It all comes down to moderation (except as some posters say... SEX) I mean, you can drink a beer and die if you weigh nothing and drive and are intoxicated, but if you drink that protein shake, I doubt its likely to happen.

Now if we were to consume it as we do plain sugar, it might be a different story.

Lastly, I know you seek help, but a small search on what is IN their protein will result in your question, so you dont have to ask it. It is right on the back of the label. And if you have internet and are posting this, you have the tools to look at the label from any place that sells it, and know that it isn't Aspartame.

This will save you, and us time.

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the info. I had really only heard bad things about Aspartame, and not any other sweetner, but I guess there are risks with all of them. Only thing I don't understand about what you said is when you meantioned moderation. What do you mean by that? Basicly what you are saying is that a couple whey protein shakes a day does not have enough artificial sweetner in it to be concerned about?

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ryannath said:
Ok, thanks for the info. I had really only heard bad things about Aspartame, and not any other sweetner, but I guess there are risks with all of them. Only thing I don't understand about what you said is when you meantioned moderation. What do you mean by that? Basicly what you are saying is that a couple whey protein shakes a day does not have enough artificial sweetner in it to be concerned about?
Yes, in moderation, I meant that you should be fine. The thing with some of these sweeteners is that they are sweeter than plain sugar and need less to sweeten something. So you may have 1/32tsp in each shake you take, or maybe 1/16th. Drink 3 a day and your not even at a tsp amount for the day.

Everything you eat is going to have something that might make you go...:confused:

There are many more foods you eat over what the shake has in it, of it to be a concern to flip out over. The meat you eat, the veggies you eat, fruit, milk, etc etc, may have hormones, pesticides, etc etc.

Your daily vitamin may have small amounts of things to coat it with. You may eat candy on occasion or things with coloring in it.

Look at the acid in pop, and how it eats away things.

People who drink diet pop are more likely to get something or have a problem before you would. Aspartame is in diet pop, and people will drink 3 cans a day or 4. And they do this EVERY DAY. So they get Aspartame and an acidic base, and caffeine in loads.

The point is.. MODERATION. I eat candy here and there on week-ends, and microwaveable dinners where I cant even pronounce stuff on occasion, and colorings and artificial things too.

I also breathe air too, and that is polluted, and I cant avoid that, or the second hand smoke from someone.

What about canned things that are packaged and the dateline special where... If you knew where some fruits and veggies came from when you went out to eat, you'd be shocked. High end restaurants in CA where stuff they got was just really nasty, but they didnt know mice had been around the fruit, or some was dropped and put back in the containers.

So you get my point? A shake or 2 a day is going to be fine. And like I said, you have a choice as to what sweetener you want by what ever brand you choose.

Throttle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
most of the negativity attached to aspartame is hysteria, chicken-little crap. it gets blamed for everything. lots of people should be turning up dead by now, the way they drink Diet Coke & the like. i mean, seriously, dig around and you'll find lots of sites that blame aspartame for literally every ailment under the sun -- that just doesn't add up. and then there's the FDA & co. saying 'all clear' -- do you trust them?

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I use a berry flavor in my maltodextrin drink that has aspartame, but I dont flip, and i'm still kicking. The thing is, to sweeten my 32oz it takes about 1/4tsp, and even if I drink 64oz of the drink I make that's only 1/2tsp, and not ALL is aspartame. Some flavoring, citric acid, etc etc.

To be honest, your chances right now of getting some sort of bacteria in your food, and you getting sick or dying is higher than you taking in the aspartame. Peanut Butter has been contaminated, Spinach, The kids mouth wash Agent Blue, other fruits, Dog Food, and there will probably be more and more.

I bet the kids who ate the PB and almost died, or some kids who have died from bacteria in those things took in aspartame from prob a pop or some type of juice or drink, and they aren't sick from that, they are sick/dead from Ecoli, etc.

Things like this are of more concern. I eat natural PB, but we had 3 jars of the contaminated stuff here and sent it back. Luckily I dont think it was open yet, but that goes to show you what your worries should be.

At least mine are anyway. The fact that more and more foods are being recalled cause of who know what in them are my concerns; not the minute amount of aspartame I consumer.

Again, if you want to stay away from it, you can, and that is the luxury of certain companies and powders. If you dont like it, or want it, dont buy it.

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's no point in worrying about aspartame, because there's associated 'risks' with all artificial sweeteners from stevia to sucralose. But you're not taking in enough of them to make a difference, as Omen correctly said.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So, is it safe to say that the conscientious is that aspartame isn't as bad as people make it out to be and the ON Whey is as good as people make it out to be? :D

ryannath

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I actually ate some of that contaminated Peter Pan PB, but luckily I didn't get sick from it.

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Omen said:
It all comes down to moderation (except as some posters say... SEX)

If i'm having sex often enough it starts to bore me to tears.

stinkyape

Don Juan
Reaction score
I drink a good 2 litres of aspartame sweetened sprite every single day :D

Far better than drinking the same amount of sugar sweetened soda and taking on an extra 1,000+ empty calories.

Allegations of artificial sweeteners causing cancer are mostly scaremongering. From what I can see, there's no actual evidence of an increased risk. However, if you were to drink the 1000 calories of sugar each day and became a big fatty then you'd have an increased risk of heart disease, diabetes and many forms of cancer - And there is proof that being a tub of lard increases your risk of developing those things.

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ryannath said:
Thanks for the info. I actually ate some of that contaminated Peter Pan PB, but luckily I didn't get sick from it.
lol, well nice to see nothing happened, but see my point as to what is more of a worry out there?

Omen

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
So, is it safe to say that the conscientious is that aspartame isn't as bad as people make it out to be and the ON Whey is as good as people make it out to be? :D
ON Whey is fine, and the aspartame will be fine at the doses we take it at, or what is in our protein.

Most dont even think about it, but they are probably getting that, or other artificial sweeteners in other things they eat during the day.

We all, or most of us should eat much cleaner than what others do. You drinking that shake with a bit of aspartame in it is better than the fat kid next to you eating the Twinkie, as he probably eats many of those, or people who eat all sorts of crap 24/7. Look at the people that eat fast food every day or other day, or 2x a day, and some do it.

Call_Me_Daddy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The less artificial sweeteners and chemicals you get, the better off you are.

Aspartame has the ability to slowly accumulate in the body. You get problems much later when the concentrations reach toxic levels. Don't know about splenda though. Its a slightly modified sugar, so its "natural-esque".

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Call_Me_Daddy said:
The less artificial sweeteners and chemicals you get, the better off you are.

I TOTALLY AGREE. PEOPLE SHOULD LEARN TO APPRECIATE THE NATURAL FLAVOUR OF FOODS, EVENTUALLY CHEMICALS TASTE 'WRONG' TO YOUR BODY AND YOU DON'T HAVE A CRAVING FOR THEM

Aspartame has the ability to slowly accumulate in the body. You get problems much later when the concentrations reach toxic levels. Don't know about splenda though. Its a slightly modified sugar, so its "natural-esque".

PROBLEM WITH SPLENDA IS THAT IT CAN STILL CAUSE AN INSULIN RISE ALBEIT A SMALL ONE (DEPENDING ON AN INDIVIDUAL'S CARB TOLERANCE). CONSTANT FAKE INSULIN RISES EVEN WITH NO GLUCOSE CAN MESS WITH YOUR INSULIN SENSITIVITY..
:).