Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Arnold's "True" Workout System for Size

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This is yet another quote from Arnold Schwarzenegger that reveals the impact that Reg Park and fullbody workouts had on his training:

When I was trying to get bigger in my early days of training, I followed a routine called the Golden Six. I made tremendous gains on this program and do did many others who trained at my gym in Munich. All agreed that this simple system of training produced excellent gains in muscle size and bodyweight. Here are the Golden Six:

1.) Barbell Squats. This exercise not only develops the lower body, but it strengthens the heart and lungs while improving the general circulation as well. Use a weight that will permit you to perform 4 sets of 10 reps. Always lower yourself until your upper thighs are at least parallel to the floor, and keep your back flat.

2.) Barbell Bench Presses. This is my favorite upper body exercise, and almost every training program I've ever used includes it. Take a fairly wide grip -- your hands about 32 inches apart. Inhale as you lower the bar to your nipples and exhale as you push it back to arms' length. Don't bounce the weight off your chest. 3 sets of 10 reps.

3.) Chins. If you have limited training experience you may find chins difficult at first. If you have a lat machine, you can perform pulldowns until you've developed sufficient strength to do chins. Use a fairly wide grip and try to bring your chin over the bar. Do as many reps as you can for 3 sets.

4.) Overhead Presses. This exercise reigns supreme for widening and thickening the shoulders. I prefer to do it seated and often press behind the neck. Use a wide grip -- your thumbs about six inches wider than your delts on each side. Lower the weight slowly and don't pause at the bottom. 4 sets of 10 reps.

5.) Barbell Curls. The triceps have already been thoroughly exercised during the bench press and the overhead press. Use a shoulder width grip and a weight you can curl without any body movement. Don't let your elbows move away from the sides of your body, make sure you straighten your arms completely before each rep and do 3 sets of 10 reps.

6.) Bent-Knee Situps. It's only sensible to keep your midsection firm and toned when gaining muscular weight. Situps also improve digestion and elimination as well. Don't pause between reps and continue for 20 or as many reps as you can do without stopping. Do 3 or 4 sets.

AnthonyHussy

Reaction score
Hey this seems really very good set of exercises.Thanks for sharing this valuable information.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
switch said:
do i really need to do sit ups? or can i just do planks and be over with it?
I would recommend doing some type of abdominal exercise. I know the first 6 months of my training I neglected my abs cause I didn't think they were important or I didn't care about a "6-pack". Now, I'm doing weighted sit-ups to strengthen my core and help me in my other lifts, such as the squat and deadlift.

bukowski_merit

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
That's pretty much what I do in my home gym.

+ Deadlifts
+ Bent Rows

MON:Overheard press (push) followed by Chins (pull)
TUES: Deadlift (by itself)

THURS:Bench Press (push) followed by bent row (pull)
FRI:Squat + Curl + Reverse Curl + Abs

I keep it as simple as possible. And as short as possible... Gains (size/strength) happen very quick if I stick to it...

Most of the hard work happens in my diet.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
Situps are an awful exercise. Rather do planks
Disagree. I always get sore from sit-ups. Can't say the same about planks, hanging leg raises, medicine ball crunches, or all the other crap we've invented because they are easier than sit-ups.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
situps are very bad news for your lumbar spine and they make your lower abs "poochy". Google for LEGENDARY ABS, and you will be WAY ahead. the Armold stuff, is way out of date. Many better approaches have come to the fore, man. you are supposed to warm up with lighter weight, go down in number of reps but up the weight, then do a warmdown with light weight again. several sets of 10 reps, same weight? not if you want max results in minimal time. Read THE FOUR HOUR BODY, by Tim Ferriss

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I don't personally care if sit-ups are an "awful" exercises or "bad for my spine". I go to the gym to train and get stronger. There is a reason and purpose for what I'm doing. This is what works for me and also works for many others in my type of training. Everyone has different goals and different needs so just pick what works for you!

Last edited:

DanZy

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
So you'll deliberately damage your spine with an inefficient ab exercise? Planks and hanging leg lifts are safer and work the abs more. Are they easier than situps? No, try to plank for 2 minutes and you'll clearly see.
I'm surprised deadlifts aren't on that list, they're fantastic.

MikeBrown30

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
,-._|\ ................... ............ / Aus \ ..
twentee said:
situps are very bad news for your lumbar spine and they make your lower abs "poochy". Google for LEGENDARY ABS, and you will be WAY ahead. the Armold stuff, is way out of date. Many better approaches have come to the fore, man. you are supposed to warm up with lighter weight, go down in number of reps but up the weight, then do a warmdown with light weight again. several sets of 10 reps, same weight? not if you want max results in minimal time. Read THE FOUR HOUR BODY, by Tim Ferriss
Tim Ferriss' stuff is garbage.

Krueg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DanZy said:
So you'll deliberately damage your spine with an inefficient ab exercise? Planks and hanging leg lifts are safer and work the abs more. Are they easier than situps? No, try to plank for 2 minutes and you'll clearly see.
I'm surprised deadlifts aren't on that list, they're fantastic.
No, sit-ups are not inefficient. Its like how some people say deadlifts will hurt your back or squats are bad for your knees. Yeah, sh!t can happen you can get hurt or fvck something up but, that can happen in any sport. You just have to train smart to avoid injurys. But, as I said above you don't have to do sit-ups or weighted sit-ups. There are plenty of other ways to work your core to fit your individual needs.

Trailboss

Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't forget the 100+ dianabol he swallowed every day! That kinda helps in the size department!

I have been doing situps since I first learned to, well...situp! somewhere in 5th grade or something! Gym class....been doing 'em ever since and my back is fine at 47 years old. Nothing wrong with a nice, clean situp. It's all the jerking and bad form that screws up your back. Are there better moves? yea...crunches are great. But somehow, after all this time: I just dont feel like I had a good ab workout if I don't do some situps....