Are you shy or depressed. Heres the solution

originaldj

Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a job you hippy.

I started working at a grocery store and it has done wonders for me. Everyone gets depressed at one time or another yet you'll find it is less common when you are not bored. Doing something imo will reduce the chances of you getting depressed for a long period of time.

As well unfortunately, a lot of people that shop in grocery stores are *******s, but after a little bit of time you learn to call them out on it, more importantly you socialize with complete strangers. Give it some time and getting a job will change your personality for the better.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have a broken leg you dont try to run. You wait till it heals enough so you can work your way up to running....samething here. Being around other people while you depressed wont make you feel better. Depressed people need to get rid of their pessimistic views about everything before they try to socialize with people. As for shy people, i recommend they read stuff about socializing and social psychology before they get a job. I was shy and got a job and nothing changed. I had no idea how to talk to people so nothing changed. You dont just jump in the ring when you wanna learn how to box; training creates a foundation to build upon.

Bballswingr1

Don Juan
Reaction score
so true originaldj, i got a job and not only did it help my boredom and shyness but i got to meet some cool HB's who work with me:up:

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Social skills are best learned with experience. Books can help to comprehend the principle, but social skills are like muscle memory. You must repeat to become personable.

rowing_mike

Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
If you have a broken leg you dont try to run. You wait till it heals enough so you can work your way up to running....samething here. Being around other people while you depressed wont make you feel better. Depressed people need to get rid of their pessimistic views about everything before they try to socialize with people. As for shy people, i recommend they read stuff about socializing and social psychology before they get a job. I was shy and got a job and nothing changed. I had no idea how to talk to people so nothing changed. You dont just jump in the ring when you wanna learn how to box; training creates a foundation to build upon.
Not true. I was very shy and got a job (lifeguard) that helped overcome my shyness. Also, if I go out when I'm depressed, it helps. My worries go away, I come back happy. I just like to make sure that it isn't one of the better girls I go with.

BacardiGuy

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I was never depressed UNTIL I got a job and had to work on days all my friends were out having fun.

WC2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There's a difference in getting a job just to get a job and working on something you enjoy. Keep your job, but try to start something on the side you enjoy. For me, I liked to promote clubs around the Philly area, so I started my own promotions bussiness. Now, I'm not only making bank, but I feel great about my future. Try it.

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
thats a good point. when i got a busser job, i didnt have much time to feel depressed. idle hands do the devils work, and i guess its the same for idle brains. and it also stimulates creativity.

but if youre depressed, you need a full life turnaround, including getting a job, to feel better about yourself. at least thats what did it for me.

ValleyDJing

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bballswingr1 said:
so true originaldj, i got a job and not only did it help my boredom and shyness but i got to meet some cool HB's who work with me:up:
yep...same here. I work at a grocery store too! the store itself kinda sucks though...i'm gonna find another store that has a less stressful work environment

Caesar20

Don Juan
Reaction score
on social skills....
what if i have (get) a job where i don't have to speak to people _much_, such as engineering - working in front of a computer? and engineering is my type of vision to the future.

OAKRIDERZ2 could you recommend a book on social psychology? i have access to sth called Psychology of communication, would that be ok? what else?
(i have no, but absolutely no social skills)

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Caesar20 said:
on social skills....
what if i have (get) a job where i don't have to speak to people _much_, such as engineering - working in front of a computer? and engineering is my type of vision to the future.

OAKRIDERZ2 could you recommend a book on social psychology? i have access to sth called Psychology of communication, would that be ok? what else?
(i have no, but absolutely no social skills)
I personally dont know of any books but u do have some links to some pretty good sites. Just remember that you can read all you want but with out actually trying stuff out for yourself its practically worthless.

http://www.bristollair.com/inner-game/understanding/robert-cialdini-class.html

read all of those...

http://www.bristollair.com/outer-game/skills/social-vibing.html

and that. then read everything else pertaining to social enviornments and that kinda sh*t.

itishe

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
oakraiderz2 said:
Truth.

Carnegie

Don Juan
Reaction score
I need to get a freakin job..Ive been procrasting and saying I'll get one soon for the last 5 months. I just graduaated from HS and well everyone has a job except me. Not only will a job help with social skills, I believe it shows independence and that your not lazy in a girls point of view.

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Carnegie said:
I need to get a freakin job..Ive been procrasting and saying I'll get one soon for the last 5 months. I just graduaated from HS and well everyone has a job except me. Not only will a job help with social skills, I believe it shows independence and that your not lazy in a girls point of view.
I have the same problem. I applied to like 5 different places and I thought for sure I was going to get a job from this one person but they never replied to me even when I would go in and ask about it. Anyways, I'm leaving for California in 2 weeks anyways so getting a job right now would be pretty pointless. I just hope I can get internships and co-ops in college.

dannowillbookem

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i hate job searching. you can never apply at enough places...and sometimes i need a job and its like the first place i apply at is dying for me and sometimes i need one and i can apply at 20 places and never hear anything.

sorry. had to vent.