Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Are any of you in a Skilled Trade?

-Gripz-

Don Juan
Reaction score
Basically, I'm sort of in a rut and college seems to not be something that is working for me. Currently I've been out of school for about 6 months and want to try something different. I'm thinking of going into an apprenticeship for an elevator tech/repair.

For the people in a trade I wanted to know your experiences and hopefully get some advice on on this career path. I also heard that trades can bring in some nice cash, any of you making some decent money?

Gunner26

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I guess you could say my part-time job is a trade. Outside of workmates, nobody I know can do what I do without at least a basic knowledge of the machines, and most of the time, nobody does know a thing about them.

Ok they are only sewing machines, but the point still stands, there is a market for repairs, and only people who are trained to do it can fix them, I'm one of those guys.

Is there money in it?

Not too much as a part-time repairman.

However, every Friday my boss gets in a freelance mechanic, who he pays 4/5 times what I earn working the same hours. This guy is much more experienced than me having been doing it for many more years. He is also licensed to go into schools and repair their machines, which can result in massive pay days for only a couple days work at a time.

There is also alot of money in the business itself. My boss makes loads of money in comparison to us (obviosuly haha)

Basically what I think I'm trying to say is that if you are going to get into a trade, the real money is only there once you get very good at it. Become certified at it, because that automatically leads to your value increasing.

I can see elevator/tech repair being an area which may have a massive client base, considering how many buildings actually have elevator's these days.

You'll also find that is a much more niche market. There will probably only be a few other companies in the area that offer something similar, meaning that the company you end up getting a contract with likely has a very large customer base.

Gunner

PapiChulo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Some qualified trades folks here earn more than people with PhDs. Apprenticeships are too long in my opinion, 4 years, but the thing is that upon completion you can be self-employed on the side and make good money, writing off expenses for tax purposes.And they are always in demand. Every high school student in Canada took off to get an Arts degree and now is working at Starbucks as a barista, while a guy who learnt plumbing has already bought a house, a nice car, started a family and is on the way to run his own plumbing business.

Mike32ct

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Eastern Time Zone where it's always really late
It's probably easier to stay motivated in a trade.

If you work longer hours, you can look forward to overtime and a bigger paycheck.

In a salaried white-collar job, if you work overtime, you can look forward to the SAME paycheck lol.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
the real money is in working for yourself. No boss is ever going to pay you even a fraction oif what you are worth,. the more he pays you, the sooner you quit and go into competion with him. It's quite easy to learn enough about shooting and gunsmithing to have a 30k a year (cash) biz, In about a year). Also, if you will move around the country and will work hard at casting bullets and reloading ammo, you can easily add 20k a year to that (cash)

A year of this (mini-van and very small trailer) lifestyle will finance a Federal, 1 k year title II mg and silencer making license, along with a vault, bigger trailer and about 15 semiautos that you have converted to full auto. Making cans and selling full auto conversions, along with renting out the smg's for peopel to shoot, will let you clear 100k a year. A year of that, and you can buy and fix up (along with bank mortgages) several big old houses With care, such houses will each clear 20-30k a year, depending upon the size and location and how many rooms you fix up as flophouses for the homeless.some of the tenants become managers, and you hire a property management outfit to manage those managers. presto, retirement. Add as many more such places as you want, and in the 5-6 years it would have taken to get thru college and pay off your school loans, you'll have 100k a year, after tax coming in, with you not being tied down to anything, or any place. perfect. Now go find what intrigues you and enjoy it for 50 years. no worries about income, bosses, medical insurance payments, etc. you'll HAVE it.

VladPatton

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a professional tradesman. I do stuff for a lot of high profile clients including celebs. I can actually look at what I do at the end of the day and touch it. Or sell it. Or destroy it and start all over. There is no undo button and I got hurt plenty of times. But at the end of any given year I am better than the previous and it is quite satisfying. So....always, always, always learn the skill!

Everyone wants to make big money, but no one's got no damn skills, man!

Get good at something. Know your shıt, and know it well. A 'mechanical' way of thinking will free your mind to understand the workings of the world.

Learn the skill.

twentee

Banned
Reaction score
trades, lines of work go out of favor. low $ places to live do not, and there's no special skill to running such places, either. The risks can all be insured against, and by a having several places, not all in one city, you spread out any risks of flood, fire, riots, seizure for public domain,etc.

FairShake

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
The average salary for an elevator repairman is around 70 grand. That's average for the whole country, in certain parts you will be making much more, maybe 6 figures.

I've never worked in elevators but I did HVAC. From what I've seen from elevators it's really hard work. Often really hot or really cold. You will be working in some tiny spots. There is ALOT of heavy lifting. You will probably be on call and work some crazy hours.

All in all it's good work and if you are learning as an apprentice you probably have a better chance at a job than many college grads in today's economy. I would recommend it if you have any aptitude for hands-on work. Make sure it's what you want to do, not something to do instead of college. I've known plenty of guys who went into the trades because they didn't like college. They didn't last as long as the guys who went because they liked working with their hands.

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
-Gripz- said:
Basically, I'm sort of in a rut and college seems to not be something that is working for me. Currently I've been out of school for about 6 months and want to try something different. I'm thinking of going into an apprenticeship for an elevator tech/repair.

For the people in a trade I wanted to know your experiences and hopefully get some advice on on this career path. I also heard that trades can bring in some nice cash, any of you making some decent money?
Welding for sure. I started and only need two classes to get my advanced degree. This is probably a trade thats the least hard on your body, and it brings a lot of money. The school is fun, all you do is weld for and hour or two. Good money.

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
PapiChulo said:
Some qualified trades folks here earn more than people with PhDs. Apprenticeships are too long in my opinion, 4 years, but the thing is that upon completion you can be self-employed on the side and make good money, writing off expenses for tax purposes.And they are always in demand. Every high school student in Canada took off to get an Arts degree and now is working at Starbucks as a barista, while a guy who learnt plumbing has already bought a house, a nice car, started a family and is on the way to run his own plumbing business.
People with masters generally make much more than phd's. Unless its a medical doctor.

goundra

Banned
Reaction score
welding doesn't pay that much, in many parts of the country. $15 an hour, and you are constantly breathing toxic fumes, and constantly at risk of flash burning your eyes, altho with autodarkening hoods and curtains, it's much better than it used to be.

VikingKing

Banned
Reaction score
goundra said:
welding doesn't pay that much, in many parts of the country. $15 an hour, and you are constantly breathing toxic fumes, and constantly at risk of flash burning your eyes, altho with autodarkening hoods and curtains, it's much better than it used to be.
Actually you can make very good money in a good union. I know some one who makes about 45$ an hour.

deedel

Reaction score
uh huh, but how to get into that union, and be the few guys who get the job? Long list in front of you, and normally, such wages are in alaska, in the oil fields, short term sort of contracts.

Dust 2 Dust

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My father was a welder briefly. They get paid crap. My father left the trade due to the low pay. Plumbing only pays well if you own your own business. You'll get paid peanuts working for someone else and be up to your knees in sh1t all day.

deedel

Reaction score
YOu only need to make that kind of money for 3-4 years, in order to be retired, if you know what to invest in.

B

BeDJ

Specialization is key. Medical and technology is the way to go. Find a field that is mentally intensive than physical. Six-figure income is much easier to attain than before.

If you are not making as much as you should, build up your Linkedin profile. It's no longer what you know, but who you know.

deedel

Reaction score
yep, but it also matters where you live, x ray or sono tech pays twice as much in Chicago as in Albequerque. go where the pay is high, for a very few years, leave really cheaply, like in a garage or even a van, save every dime. Then get set up with some sort of investment income, like low rent apartment houses, and live wherever you choose, and do whatever you want. There is no freedom if you are stuck with a biz or boss that keep you in one given place, doing one particular thing. Fvck that.

Packers2010

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
no i'm not in a trade man. only bogans do that.

the money money in trades if you go on the mines in aus bro.

and they are winding down there operations man. gl with that

SJ413

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm a machinist, fully educated for it, take night classes while I work. I also have a welding dimploma (skilled machist makes much more, high demand around here) at 23 I make $23.60/hr with overtime available on the rare occasion. Which isn't bad, considering most of my university-going buddies don't make crap and wind up with crap jobs. Well, those that don't get fed cash by thier folks that is.

It's just the feeling at the end of the day of seeing a finished product that makes it worth even more to myself. A may also move on to take engineering too, but I believe I may dabble with a little firefighting first just for the heck of it. Within the next year I may get into vehicle transport and sales, pending on my finances.

I don't know how yall think you could make money renting out in a rual environment, I. Played a personal part in that and its total sh!t unless you have an ungodly amount of capital. And to hell with section 8 poor folks housing, that's a freakin joke.

goundra

Banned
Reaction score
i never said anything about rural. the money is in some beat up neighborhood, not far from a major bus stop or downtown, central to the mission, food stamp place, at least one day labor workplace, etc. What you want is a big old 3 story house, wood, in bad shape, for 30-40k, fix it up with 10k, your own labor, and the labor of people already renting rooms there. You will be putting in cheapo walls, dividing the rooms in half, and charging the same, but adding Internet, computers, little fridges, microwaves, TV;s, with adquate security and the right wording of the rental contract. There's also a need little "add on" that I thought of, which tacks on about 20k a year to your profits. cash. But that part will remain my little secret. There's plenty of old houses that can rent out 20 such rooms, for $100 a week. do the math. The place will then need twice as many bathrooms, twice as many washers and dryers. the tenants, under your supervision, can work off their rent fee by painting, doing cleanup, pulling up old tiles or carpet, hanging drywall, etc. So the conversion doesnt take much out of your pocket. Dont buy such a place taht aint already full of tenants. get an extra week deposit, and a signature on a 'sober-living' contract. then when you kick them out for partying, being drunk etc, they don't get back their deposit. very high bills for utilities, liability and fire insurance. But you are going to clear 20k a year with such a house, on top of the 20k I mentioned for my little "wrinkle" . A home manager has to live there, a couple, best if they are retired on Ss, disability, or VA pension, they get $100 cash per week and a free couple of rooms, free utilitites, of course.

The dining room becomes a couple of bathrooms. the kitchen becomes a couple of laundry places. The living room becomes a couple of paying bedrooms. Enclose the front and back porches (build them if none exist) and each of them becomes a paying room.