Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone tried HMB?

Zircon

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Read this:

HMB (beta-hydroxy-beta-methylbutyrate)
This metabolite of the amino acid leucine was studied in a group of serious weight lifters (1.5 hours a day, 3 days a week) on their "normal" diet of 117 grams of protein per day (twice the Recommended Daily Requirement) and a high protein diet of 175 grams per day.
HMB (1.5 and 3.0 grams per day) decreased the products of muscle breakdown (muscle damage) found in the urine during the training period, and increased the amount of weight lifted in each week of the study when compared to a control group not using the supplement. There was a dose related effect, that is the 1.5 gram per day dose of HMB was beneficial but greater improvement was noted on 3.0 grams perday. There was no benefit of a high protein diet compared to a normal protein diet (117 grams per day) either in the control (no HMB) or HMB groups. Lower body strength improved more than upper. The average increase in overall (averaged) strength compared to the control (no HMB) group at week 3 was 13% for the 1.5 gram per day HMB supplement and 18% for the 3.0 gram per day HMB supplemented group. No adverse effects were noted during the study period.
HMB is of use in a program of regular resistance training amd appears to work by minimizing the muscle damage that normally occurs. It's role in aerobic conditioning or cycling where strength is less of a factor has not been studied.

Sounds good huh?And its legal!

wheelin&dealin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's BULLSH*T!

The only extensive studies that have been done on it are by 2 guys who manufacture HMB. Don't buy that sh*t!

Unbridled_1

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
There have been several studies done on HMB, the majority of which show the positive benefit (prevent muscle catabolism/ increase strength) which Zircon mentioned in his post. There are also few(if any) side effects. However, the benefits were minimal unless the individual was going through workouts of extreme intensity, in which the benefits were more pronounced.

I've never tried it because I like to do things as naturally as possible, as my only supplement is my protein powder. But if you want you want a little extra edge and think it's worth it, try it out.

Reto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been using it for about 2 years. It works for me.

You've got to try to find what works for you. A friend of mine says creatine does nothing for him. I noticed a serious difference...

It's funny, some people's attitudes about suppliments. A guy at work said protein shakes don't work. I'm like, that's like saying steaks don't work. What are you expecting? Becoming Arnold since you drink a shake a day?

MagiKMaK

Don Juan
Reaction score
if creatine doesn't work, it might be because your buddy drinks too much caffeine... or takes caffeine pills... I'm not 100% sure yet, but a lot of people are saying that caffeine negates the effects of creatine