Anyone recommend Kickboxing?

Blowfish

Don Juan
Reaction score
Haven't been on Sosuave for a long time, but now I'm just strictly about exercise and fixing up myself, not about women. But I am a little sick of peoples comin up to me and goin "Hey you've gone fat" as they first greeting line... where they manners at...

I want to lose weight, but not on weights, I do plan on doing push ups and crunches as well as sticking to a fat cutting diet. I also want to take up kick boxing.

Thai boxing is what I want to do... but keep in mind that I'm quite small and short, so I really want to know what a typical thai boxing training class is like...

if anyone has done or is doing muay thai boxing and still learning. Can you please enlighten me on training?

- What do they do as practice
like routines etc

Just a description of a typical day at a muay thai class.

thanks

SamePendo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Blowfish

I want to lose weight, but not on weights,
I recommend it. Though I don't really pay attention to what we did. Just kick and punch. God, I miss it. I have never felt as much as a man as I felt back then.

Arecsa

Reaction score
I've been doing Muay Thai for close to 2 years now. Here's a rundown of how a class could go.

A typical beginners Muay Thai class will begin with a warmup. A few minutes of skipping, followed by some bodyweight exercises like pushups, situps and lunges. A few light stretches and then the class will start.

You'll either start by pairing up and using some focus pads, or maybe a kickshield. You'll do a few minutes of something simple to start off with. Maybe a jab-cross-hook-uppercut combo. Then you might move onto some basic elbow strikes and work them into a combo. You partner will then get to do the same stuff as you while you hold the pads for them.

You'll switch back and do 2 or 3 more techniques, maybe something involving the pad holder throwing a strike at you, and then countering it. After your partner gets a turn at those techniques you'll grab a kickshield or some thai pads and do some work with knees and kicks.

Same sort of situation, you do some techniques, then switch with your partner. Switch back and do some new stuff, and switch back so your partner gets a turn and that'll be it.

You may finish the class off with some more pushups, situps, lunges. Then a final stretch and its over.

That's a typical 1 hour long Beginners Muay Thai class for me.

A more advanced class would include a longer intense warmup, aswell as more involved technique work during class, including clinch work and sparring.

Alpine

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
MT is physically tough. It's not whether your short, it's more a mental thing about getting hit, very hard.

Kickboxing, especially the ones advertised with pictures of women is not the same thing. However, you will get fit and you will meet fit women.