Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone own a dog?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems like a great pet but the maintenance has me a little apprehensive.

Do I really have to wake up early every single day to let it out? Do you really have to walk them every day? I know the walking part is important but let's say you have a yard, can you just let them out in the yard to run around instead of always going for a walk?

Is the added expense of food and vet bills a pain?

backseatjuan

Banned
Reaction score
I used to have a poodle as a kid, my only dog experience. But after watching cezar melan's dog whisperer back in the day, it is obvious, walks are important, otherwise your dog will be a loud, obnoxious, misbehaving toy. So the answer is yes.

I had an opportunity to get a german sheapard free back in march, but this coronavirus happened, and I got stuck in the city. I wanted it specifically for walks. I'm thankful now that I didn't get it. Imagine everything chewed up at my place.

samspade

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
My family had a couple when I was a kid. Yeah you have to let them out in the morning. Maybe you can get them on your schedule, I dunno. As far as a yard vs. walking...if you leave a dog in the yard it'll eventually get bored and lie around. I think you need to walk it or play fetch at least to get it some proper exercise. It's not just going to run laps in the back yard.

For me the hardest part of having one (besides the hair, chewed furniture, vet bills, drool, smell, and barking) would be leaving town and having to put it up or find someone to watch it.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Backyards are fine for dog self exercise as long as it’s not a this dog is too large for this yard situation. I’ve actually seen dogs wear run paths down to dirt in grass if they’re too large for their yard.
An adequately fenced yard combined with an outside door that will accept a doggie door installation so the dog can come and go as they please 24 hours a day is the ideal situation and speeds up house training…
They automatically spend more time inside during inclement and cold weather, more time outside during warm months.
If you’re already worried about food and Vet costs, don’t get a dog.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to have a poodle as a kid, my only dog experience. But after watching cezar melan's dog whisperer back in the day, it is obvious, walks are important, otherwise your dog will be a loud, obnoxious, misbehaving toy. So the answer is yes.

I had an opportunity to get a german sheapard free back in march, but this coronavirus happened, and I got stuck in the city. I wanted it specifically for walks. I'm thankful now that I didn't get it. Imagine everything chewed up at my place.
I definitely know exercise is important. Its not that I would never walk the dog but I'm wondering if a combination of some days walking and some days letting roam free in the backyard would be fine.

My family had a couple when I was a kid. Yeah you have to let them out in the morning. Maybe you can get them on your schedule, I dunno. As far as a yard vs. walking...if you leave a dog in the yard it'll eventually get bored and lie around. I think you need to walk it or play fetch at least to get it some proper exercise. It's not just going to run laps in the back yard.

For me the hardest part of having one (besides the hair, chewed furniture, vet bills, drool, smell, and barking) would be leaving town and having to put it up or find someone to watch it.
Yeah hopefully a combination of some days walking and some days letting roam will be ok. Yes that chewing, droll, smell, barking and not being able to always leave without it being taken care of an be a pain in the ass.

Chewing is probably something I'd have to deal with for any dog. I think there's some breeds where the drool, smell and even barking might be less than others. They have services these days where you can leave your dog and watch them via an app on your phone. Might be something like $500 a week.

Backyards are fine for dog self exercise as long as it’s not a this dog is too large for this yard situation. I’ve actually seen dogs wear run paths down to dirt in grass if they’re too large for their yard.
An adequately fenced yard combined with an outside door that will accept a doggie door installation so the dog can come and go as they please 24 hours a day is the ideal situation and speeds up house training…
They automatically spend more time inside during inclement and cold weather, more time outside during warm months.
If you’re already worried about food and Vet costs, don’t get a dog.
Agree, the yard would have to be a good size. The doggy door I worry about as I feel its a house security risk.

Sounds like you're saying maintenance costs for a dog could be significant?

Lookatu

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I own two.

OP, why do you wanna own a dog all of a sudden? Just curious.

Also the breed has a lot to do with high maintenance in terms of both temperment, exercise, and also possibly big vet bills as some breeds have known conditions. I would do your research on the breeds you're interested in.

Also, figure out if any dog hair around your living space will bother you or not and select your breed accordingly.

redskinsfan92

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Seems like a great pet but the maintenance has me a little apprehensive.

Do I really have to wake up early every single day to let it out? Do you really have to walk them every day? I know the walking part is important but let's say you have a yard, can you just let them out in the yard to run around instead of always going for a walk?

Is the added expense of food and vet bills a pain?
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Yard is enough for smaller breeds somedays, but they still enjoy walks around the neighborhood exploring. Owned a Shih Tzu and Chihuahua in my teens and early 20s.

A chihuahua for instance will expect unlimited access to crawling under blankets. They are cold on hot days.another

Shih tzus crave constant attention. Their hair is constantly an issue. You MUST keep it groomed out of their eyes.

Family member had an English bulldog. They have breathing problems and must be kept out of the heat. Highly energetic. Very good natured demeanor.

Another relative had a black lab. Unlimited amount of energy that cannot be satisfied when young.

Last edited:

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes

Yard is enough for smaller breeds somedays, but they still enjoy walks around the neighborhood exploring. Owned a Shih Tzu and Chihuahua in my teens and early 20s.

A chihuahua for instance will expect unlimited access to crawling under blankets. They are cold on hot days.another

Shih tzus crave constant attention. Their hair is constantly an issue. You MUST keep it groomed out of their eyes.

Family member had an English bulldog. They have breathing problems and must be kept out of the heat. Highly energetic. Very good natured demeanor.

Another relative had a black lab. Unlimited amount of energy that cannot be satisfied when young.

I'm thinking of a medium sized dog... One with short hair... I used to want a siberian huskie but hear they shed bad.

I am so damn lazy though... it must suck having to walk them in the winter or rain too

Black Widow Void

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I own two.
If you have to think about owning a dog, you probably shouldn't.

mrgoodstuff

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a medium sized dog... One with short hair... I used to want a siberian huskie but hear they shed bad.

I am so damn lazy though... it must suck having to walk them in the winter or rain too
Its not a big deal and the walk is good for you too.

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I own rottweilers. They shed. Need exercise but not a ton. Loyal as fck but whatever you do get a dog that matches your personality.
Get s dog you will be willing to get into a fight with or can restrain.
Dogs are great but a lot of knuckle heads have dogs they can't train and are ticking time bombs.
Damn aren't Rottweilers a hardcore protection dog? And you own more than one? dammmmmm Yeah I've never owned a dog before so I wouldn't know the first thing to do regarding training.... I guess its bathroom training and obeying commands etc....?

How do you manage two hardcore dogs like that?

Reyaj

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Research and read everything you want to know about the dog you are going to get. Back before i got my first dog i read and researched for almost a year.
I grew up around dogs.
At this time i think guard dogs are a great idea.
I think guard dogs are great but I always feel there's a potential for them to snap and turn on their owners. I'm sure its rare but that would really suck having to fend off something like that.