Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone here a sales rockstar?

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok so to the point:
Career shift, got a job offer for sales. If I hit quota we are talking 70k including base. That’s 70k in the northeast(not NY or DC) so that’s a pretty comfortable life for a single guy no kids.
Top 10% earn six figures.
Its door to door sales. I want to crush it. I want to earn six figures, and since I skipped college sales is probably one of the only ways. This company is no nonsense about its quota. You get about two months to get your feet wet, then the expectation is to hit quota consistently or you get the boot. I feel like the risk would drive me. It’s the best benefit package I’ve ever seen. Generous vehicle allowance, company cell phone, company paid health benefits, 6% 401k match.

Give me your best sales tips.. or talk me out of taking this job.

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I used to be sales engineer for a brief period. Quit because I didn't like the travel. You can make over 100k a year selling IT or medical products. I would say get this job, get your feet wet, and immediately look for sales engineer jobs. As a sales engineer you become an expert in complex scientific or technological devices/products and your job is just to explain how it works and how it can benefit the company. I have a bachelors in IT but the company I used to work for, half the guys came from retail. One guy used to be a waiter and he was one of the best, lol. Some guys just have the personality for it and dont need any credentials.
That’s what I was thinking, worst case scenario this company looks amazing on a resume it’s a household name we all know.. got any tips though?

Spaz

Banned
Reaction score
Tip: don't sell the product, 1st sell urself.

Create ur sphere of influence and you could sell ice creams to the Eskimos and sand to the Arabs.

BTW, at my current level right now, I only involve myself when there's a sale potential of tens of million per sale, that's my tip to all the sales personnel that reports to me in SEA.

Billtx49

Reaction score
Well I hope it’s lead based sales instead of door to door cold calling. I generally think selling to businesses is a better opportunity than retail though.
Good luck

cola

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Well I hope it’s lead based sales instead of door to door cold calling. I generally think selling to businesses is a better opportunity than retail though.
Good luck
Yes, leads. I’d never take a cold call job.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, leads. I’d never take a cold call job.
I have had a lot of sales jobs over the years. I started with Kirby when I was 19. Our "leads" were people they called to tell them they won a free carpet shampoo. Boss man would dump me on the door and leave before they figured out I was a vacuum cleaner salesman.

There are a lot of great sales trainers whose books you should at least skim, like Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, Dale Carnegie, and Brian Tracy. Zig passed away a few years ago. He supported his family as a young boy by selling pots and pans door to door during the Great Depression. Sales is based on human psychology, so it never really changes.

After Kirby, I did a lot of financial sales. Basically, prospects are the most comfortable with salespeople who are either similar to themselves, or whom they want to fvck. Almost all my sales were to young women, which sounds fun, but they never had much money. Assuming your avatar pic is you, your race can either help you or hurt you as a salesperson. It depends on your clientele.

Reactions: Von

Billtx49

Reaction score
I started with Kirby when I was 19. Our "leads" were people they called to tell them they won a free carpet shampoo.
Ah yes, Kirby, the most overpriced vacuum of its time going direct hard sell to the consumer. Harsh learning environment for a 19 year old there…
If you’re young and inexperienced, the company does a better employment sales job on you than you can deliver a product pitch to the customer.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah yes, Kirby, the most overpriced vacuum of its time going direct hard sell to the consumer. Harsh learning environment for a 19 year old there…
Pricey, yes, but by far the best vacuum ever made. I would not own anything else, but mine have come mostly from yard sales. One was $2. I worked with some real sales pros at Kirby, many of whom had come from rough backgrounds. One was a Pakistani immigrant, another was fresh out of prison. We worked 60 hour weeks. I was just average in the office, but still in the top 2% of our 7 state division. I was too young to know it was a hard job. We did drink, smoke weed, and fvck around a lot, but only when an appointment cancelled and there was time to kill.

Von

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have had a lot of sales jobs over the years. I started with Kirby when I was 19. Our "leads" were people they called to tell them they won a free carpet shampoo. Boss man would dump me on the door and leave before they figured out I was a vacuum cleaner salesman.

There are a lot of great sales trainers whose books you should at least skim, like Zig Ziglar, Tom Hopkins, Dale Carnegie, and Brian Tracy. Zig passed away a few years ago. He supported his family as a young boy by selling pots and pans door to door during the Great Depression. Sales is based on human psychology, so it never really changes.

After Kirby, I did a lot of financial sales. Basically, prospects are the most comfortable with salespeople who are either similar to themselves, or whom they want to fvck. Almost all my sales were to young women, which sounds fun, but they never had much money. Assuming your avatar pic is you, your race can either help you or hurt you as a salesperson. It depends on your clientele.
I love Dale Carnegie and Brian Tracy.

I am in finance and we "sell" selling as become sooo hard (in finance).

All that cold calling + door to door don't work anymore.

Finance is now, more servicing with inside sales.

Try it Cola, if you can do door to door, you can do anything

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sales is a tough gig but if you are good at your craft and intelligent, you can make good money. I make well into six figures right now with "stock" options.

-volume, volume, volume,
-refine your pitch to be short and concise but provide just enough information to get your point across without boring them.
-ask questions about what they're looking for, what concerns they have, etc.
-make them feel comfortable and trust you
-time management is important (if you are too slow or can't use technology to increase output, you can also miss quota)
-identify target markets (being given leads is good but not always the best)

Once you get your craft down, analyze your cold call to meeting ratio, your meeting to sale ratio, and your sale to hitting quota ratio.
After you've figured out those numbers, assuming you have a pitch that works, its all just adjusting the volume to hitting your quota.

--
Example:

I know that every 10 cold calls, I get 1 meeting.
Every 3 meetings, I get 1 sale.
1 sale, nets me $500 to $1,000 (always assume worst case scenario, so each sale nets $500).
Monthly quota is $15,000

Assuming you never get a $1,000 sale
900 cold calls will net 90 meetings
90 meetings of which you will close 30 sales.
30 sales valued at $500 each = $15,000

If your craft improves, your pipeline and close ratio will increase but the above is assuming you change nothing and don't improve. Each industry you'll get a different cold call to meeting ratio, and meeting to sale ratio.
--

Bad pitches = low meeting and close ratio
not enough volume = low meeting ratio
bad time management =decrease in volume