Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Anyone heard of Amway?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Anyone heard of them? I just got back from a "seminar" they held with some guy who approached me in a bookstore about it. I was INCREDIBLY skeptical from the begining and now that i figured out what the company is (I wasnt told specifically what they did before, which made me more sketched out). I just looked them up, and while theyre not a illegal pyramid scheme, they are a pyramid scheme. I had a feeling it was sketch to begin with but i wanted to check it out. Luckily i have a general disposition to not trust people, which helped in this situation. I just wish i would have stayed home and not wasted my time. I have to meet up with this guy again sat to "discuss" everything, which will be a great opportunity to call them out on this bs.

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have done just about every scheme there is.

With network marketing, the only money to be made is in fleecing new suckers. The catch is, though, that if you are that good at sales and the art of persuasion, then there are much more productive things to sell than crappy household products. The very few people who make money at mlm like amway are simply good at selling, and would very likely do just as well or better selling cars, real estate, financial products, or anything else.

Rhoto

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Primerica here =\

That's what happens when you tell an 18year old he can make 3-5,000 a month part time. He believes it. Lost $200.

Aragon034

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Rhoto said:
Primerica here =\

That's what happens when you tell an 18year old he can make 3-5,000 a month part time. He believes it. Lost $200.
Primerica is trying to get me right now, cept it's only 99$

Was the course worth it? i mean i'd do it just to get the financial course.

Plus the chick who talked to me was hot, I feel like seeing how far she'd go to get me in her downline. I've got an interview with her this friday, i might just go "Hey this place is stuffy, lets go get a beer and talk about this."

I did Quixtar when i hit 18 as well, although i actually did make some money with it (in the end i spent 1000$, and got 2000$ back so a 1000$ profit) but it wasn't worth the time and effort i put in. I ended up tossing my IBO card into a stack of drywall at home depot :p

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
San Jose California said:
I almost joined Quixtar. I felt stupid.
Speaking of Quixtar, I should get back in contact with that old high school friend who joined them. He said that he'd be retiring in about two years. Well, it's been about two years :)

The money isn't made selling the products. The money is made by selling the books and audio tapes to n00bs.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
amway works. my mom is actually a emerald in amway. i've seen it work my entire life. it's just not easy. but it works. it took her the better part of 7 years to get there however. and that's what most pepole dont' like, is that it takes a lot of work, a lot of investments. but it works. i've seen it since the time i was 11 work. she brings home on avg about 7ish grand a month from amway.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Don't do it...

Any kind of MLM/Network marketing is something you should stay away from. I would be suspicious of any business that promises easy, fast money, with shady recruiting tactics, to boot. (famous tactic: cold approaching people in the 'business' section of a book store, asking if they want to 'be involved in a lucrative business').
MLM companies make most of their money selling the initial "buy-in" kits that you are required to purchase in order for you to become a "businessperson" affiliated with them.
They make far more, on a corporate level, selling the motivational tapes/seminars.
www.mlmsurvivor.com has plenty of horror stories of "uplines" who bully their "downlines" into spending thousands on these tapes, courses, seminars, etc.

Be wary of anyone that is anxious to "get you involved" in their business.

The only thing remotely, and I mean remotely, similar would be something like real estate or stock brokerages, in which they want really aggressive people, self-starters with excellent sales skills.

Even in a down economy, someone who can really push a sale to closure, and has a big rolodex of quality leads/contacts is a fairly quick hire.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LowPlainsDrifter said:
Don't do it...

Any kind of MLM/Network marketing is something you should stay away from. I would be suspicious of any business that promises easy, fast money, with shady recruiting tactics, to boot. (famous tactic: cold approaching people in the 'business' section of a book store, asking if they want to 'be involved in a lucrative business').
MLM companies make most of their money selling the initial "buy-in" kits that you are required to purchase in order for you to become a "businessperson" affiliated with them.
They make far more, on a corporate level, selling the motivational tapes/seminars.
www.mlmsurvivor.com has plenty of horror stories of "uplines" who bully their "downlines" into spending thousands on these tapes, courses, seminars, etc.

Be wary of anyone that is anxious to "get you involved" in their business.

The only thing remotely, and I mean remotely, similar would be something like real estate or stock brokerages, in which they want really aggressive people, self-starters with excellent sales skills.

Even in a down economy, someone who can really push a sale to closure, and has a big rolodex of quality leads/contacts is a fairly quick hire.

if you think there is "fast money" when it comes with amway you don't know anything about amway. it will be at least a year and a half 2 years before you start to see any significant income on a montly basis. and by signifcant i mean maybe 4-5 hundred a month. it's not something that happens overnight. some do it faster. my mom's uplink made diamond in about 6 years. my mom, having a full time job and me was a little slower.

AAAgent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
my whole family is in market america except for me. Their products are supposed to be healthy, beneficial, they have affiliations with other big companies like bestbuy/macy's/sam's club/ etc. so you get discounts where you shop. i still refuse to do it. its too time consuming and i'd rather do something else with my time.

LowPlainsDrifter

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
if you think there is "fast money" when it comes with amway you don't know anything about amway. it will be at least a year and a half 2 years before you start to see any significant income on a montly basis. and by signifcant i mean maybe 4-5 hundred a month. it's not something that happens overnight. some do it faster. my mom's uplink made diamond in about 6 years. my mom, having a full time job and me was a little slower.

I've just seen a lot of vulnerable people get lured into a lot of MLM stuff - personally seen it happen to them. Yes, they *were* promised fast, easy money by some slick person who was probably quite a few levels from their 'upline' already. These people spent tons of money upfront on product, seminars, pre-recorded courses, etc and still haven't seen a dime in profit.

I'm not denying that your Mom has done well, or saying that not a single person has done well. Naturally, people at the Emerald and Diamond levels have done and are doing OK.

Two things come to mind: I've read that the ratio of successful to unsuccessful IBOs in MLM is like 1 to 1000. I have read that in more traditional business models, it's closer to 1 in 100, perhaps better.
The other is that I think it's telling that the IRS does *not* consider expenses incurred from MLM activities to be deductible.

I just think that there are other, more transactional, "bootstrapping" ways to start oneself off in a business, that don't require the sometimes onerous upfront costs, and don't require 'reporting' to some pseudo-manager/upline who uses the 'stick' of withholding product kits, etc. unless the person attends mandatory rallies and buys mandatory course materials.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LowPlainsDrifter said:
I've just seen a lot of vulnerable people get lured into a lot of MLM stuff - personally seen it happen to them. Yes, they *were* promised fast, easy money by some slick person who was probably quite a few levels from their 'upline' already. These people spent tons of money upfront on product, seminars, pre-recorded courses, etc and still haven't seen a dime in profit.

I'm not denying that your Mom has done well, or saying that not a single person has done well. Naturally, people at the Emerald and Diamond levels have done and are doing OK.

Two things come to mind: I've read that the ratio of successful to unsuccessful IBOs in MLM is like 1 to 1000. I have read that in more traditional business models, it's closer to 1 in 100, perhaps better.
The other is that I think it's telling that the IRS does *not* consider expenses incurred from MLM activities to be deductible.

I just think that there are other, more transactional, "bootstrapping" ways to start oneself off in a business, that don't require the sometimes onerous upfront costs, and don't require 'reporting' to some pseudo-manager/upline who uses the 'stick' of withholding product kits, etc. unless the person attends mandatory rallies and buys mandatory course materials.
which is no different than ANY other business model. 95% of all businesses fail within 3 years of conception. That's no different than amway, and that's no different even then the people who come through say, NA or AA that I deal with, about 1 out of 10 actually do something long term.

it has nothing to do with the model and everything to do with the person. you can't get "sucked in" to amway, there are fees but they are very minimal. it's not like you are paying a grand amonth or anything. I think there is a 200 dollar sign up fee for all your sales materials, and besides what you buy via amway that's really it. there is nothing to get s ucked into.

it all comes down to work. getting out showing the plan to people, 5-6 days a week. and well... most people dont' want to do that. and that's not what peple signed up for. they loed hearing th stories about being able to retire, the new car, buying the wife the home she loves, but they somehow missed the part when they said they had to go out and work and work and work and work. it's no different than anything else in life.

here is a real life situtaiton that happened to me 2 days ago that will relate to what i am trying to say.

so i'm in the gym. today was my heavy day in the gym, lifted weights, circut traininng, then I get on the eliptical machine and basically go as hard as I can for about 20 minutes, and I mean hard. like have to sit down when i'm done becuase i can't drive hard. it's basically HIIT. anyway that's not the point of my post. So there is this man, who has been going to the gym for as long as I have been going to that one, he's about 280-300 pounds, definatly overweigtht. and so he is sitting on the little long exercise bike, going no more than 1 revloution every 2 seconds, reading a book in the other hand.

and then it hit me at once. he is what is wrong with america. not becuase he's overweight. But becuase he wants SOMETHING for NOTHING. he wants to be able to go to the gym, show up, and then when he walks out of the gym 100 pounds just magically disappears from him. he wants the results from exercising, but isn't willing to put forth the effort to get those results, therefore he remins stuck in himself.

I'm not here to convert anyone to amway. I really culd give a flying fvck if you listen or not. However I know a little bit about the subject since I lived in it for for all of my teenage years. I even buy amway stuff now from my mom. they make some of the best fruit punch I have ever had, and my Gf buys all her makeup via amway.If you are willing to put in the work and wait for results, amway will work.

EA Gold

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
You know what Oak now that I think about it I was approached twice in a bookstore and once at a gas station. I was friendly and all but did not call or follow through with any of them.

I knew there was going to be atleast $200 dollars to put down and that's where I stopped.

But you know what the truth is...

Your beliefs create your reality, if you believe it is a scam. It is a scam to you and you will not succeed. If you believe it is hard to succeed, it becomes hard for you to succeed. But If you believe you will be a success and create passive income then it is true for you.

What most people do is join the first company on the list with out the proper mindset and beliefs, and that's why they are not success.

I'm glad I did not join any of these programs at first, why? Just because I was not ready. Months later I began meditating on my goals on increasing my income for several weeks.

One day I felt led to go to youtube and I found a video on someone who was a success and how he did it. I told myself I can do it! I'm going to be like that. I'm just so happy how everything turned out, how I'm going to be quitting my job of 2 years soon and moving to my country, a 3rd world country and at the same time increase my income.

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
When I lived in San Jose one out of every 2 times I went to the Borders in Milpitas I'd get hit up by some guy in Quixtar. Quixtar and Amway have the same founders btw. Only difference is Quixtar uses a web portal.

The MLM's have some of the best influence techniques I've ever seen in order to hustle new recruits. Quixtar will put you in a big room so you feel the social pressure to join, namedrop people like Ray Kroc and Kiyosaki (social proof), use some pretty dubious math, anchor themselves to a franchise business model (which it really isn't), and require your commitment from the jump (because the longer you commit to something, the harder it is to break free). They will also never mention Quixtar in their pitch and refer to themselves as business consultants, namedropping whatever company they're trying to sell. The equivalent would be an ice cream man saying he's a business consultant for Haagen Daz, which is a nice spin, but totally false and ridiculous.

In the end, every MLM is just a pyramid with an obligatory business contingent to make it legal. I've seen friends, coworkers, and family members get hustled by these things - Amway, Marketamerica, WFG, 2 by 2, First Quadrant, etc. If you wanna start your own business this is not the way to go.

STR8UP

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There are better ways to make money than hassling your friends and relatives until they don't want to come visit you anymore.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
EA Gold said:
Your beliefs create your reality, if you believe it is a scam. It is a scam to you and you will not succeed. If you believe it is hard to succeed, it becomes hard for you to succeed. But If you believe you will be a success and create passive income then it is true for you.
It's not a scam, but it is based on the inner workings of a pyramid scheme. The MLM model. It's not a good business model at all.

Belief doesn't always translate into reality, otherwise you would be riding a pink unicorn now. BTW, I see the link in your signature. What wares are you peddling?

oakraiderz2

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I thought it was a scam the whole time, either that or the dude was macking on me. I tried to get a website at first but he didnt tell me anything. There was NO way i was gonna pay ANYTHING! Once i figured out there company name i went home and looked for pyramid schemes under there name. Im suppose to meet up with the guy sat and get more info, but i think im gonna call him out on it being a pyramid scheme and all that jazz. I wish i would have asked them that in the seminar and walked out. Once i saw the sh*tty products they offered i was like wtf is this. F*ck em.

backbreaker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
dude amway is a pretty big company. the founder owns the orlando magic.

It's not for everyone. Hell It's not for me. i do't have the patience to deal with ignorance. But it's not a scam.

Alle_Gory

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
dude amway is a pretty big company. the founder owns the orlando magic.
What do you define as big. Revenue, work force, physical size of offices and etc.