Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any kickboxers/boxers here?

AttackFormation

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It helped enormously. If you been doing it for a while you get good at sizing up people. Walking into a room and knowing you can own 95% of the men there does something with you. You'll also become able to identify the 5% that will own you in a glance, so you can avoid them.
I found this acquired habit of constantly sizing up people to be exhausting, and kind of demeaning to myself - I felt like I was some kind of brute, like I wouldn't even need to be a human to go around fighting and sizing other creatures up. I also knew my favorite techniques were less practical in a real life situation than just the most simple self-defense so I questioned what I was doing it for. The answer, which I decided I didn't like, was ego. Thankfully it went away when I decided to stop. Martial arts always exhausted me more so mentally as a lifestyle than in a physical sense.

Last edited:

Poonstra

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I found this acquired habit of constantly sizing up people to be exhausting
It's not something active that I do, it's more like a sixth sense. Something you're just aware of, like the way an room smells.

I felt like I was some kind of brute
I consider myself quite gentile, I never get into trouble and I'll be the first one to walk away from trouble, I hate people that do.

switch7

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I found this acquired habit of constantly sizing up people to be exhausting, and kind of demeaning to myself - I felt like I was some kind of brute, like I wouldn't even need to be a human to go around fighting and sizing other creatures up. I also knew my favorite techniques were less practical in a real life situation than just the most simple self-defense so I questioned what I was doing it for. The answer, which I decided I didn't like, was ego. Thankfully it went away when I decided to stop. Martial arts always exhausted me more so mentally as a lifestyle than in a physical sense.
I tend to be a very compassionate person 90% of the time, i cannot see myself sizing up anyone unless they do something that is deserving of an alteration, such as a physical threat or bullying behaviour. Before I started kickboxing I was not someone who would was worried about my physical safety.

I have been told that martial arts increase confidence in all aspects of life, which is why I decided to try it out.

kbbroiler1971

Don Juan
Reaction score
It's something I want to do but I have a question for the guys that do it and I might sound like a ***** but the reason I'm asking is I had a total knee replacement last year of my right knee. With the kicking motion on the punching bag you don't have to go full force on it. My doctor told me martial arts was out and I thought about doing the kickboxing workout. I'm not supposed to run, have high impact contact on the knee and as matter of fact my doctor told me only run if my life is on the line only. My knee was the worse of the worst. It's a lot better now but seems some knee replacement patients have done these exercises. I was think boxing of an alternative though but still considering both.

Who Dares Win

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been doing MMA basically training 6 times a week, usually 2 trainings 3 times weekly.

The benefits are many, first of all is you are mentally and physically sharper, I got rid of some points of bodyfat and my legs are more flexible and better made visually, cardio is top of my life probably.

I can handle violence physically and psychologically, I started that I was afraid of punched while now not only I dont feel like closing my eyes but I actually see through the attack to either avoid it or counter it.

Great connection with the other guys there, never in my life I had so many friends that I like to hang out and go for drinks neither at school or at the gym.

There are cons too actually, first of all Im bored from everyday civilized life, even when I hit the gym to lift weights I get annoyed from people wasting their time there and wasting mine occupying the equipment.

Im annoyed from the traffic and the slow walking people, basically anyone who waste my time and occupies my space in the curb or the street for no reason, its like Im in action mode all the time and have no tolerance in slowing down and be polite.

Basically all the stuff that I tolerated before with minor stress now became much harder to have.

I also lost some strenght in bigger lifts like the bench press but a fighter cant surely produce as much as a weight lifter in that department.

Strongly suggested for those who are in doubt about trying it.

Funny thing is that now that Im much more effective to harm people Im less willing to pick up a fight, after seeing so many skinny guys being war machines I learn how not to underestimate anyone.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hmm I d be real careful on the idea of sizing people up. I used to box with this Irish guy. Looked skinny sunken chest and unco. Nightmare to spar. Lighting fast jab from all the angles. Anytime you tried to hit him all u got was knuckles or elbows.

Know this other guy ungainly fat and trains taekwondo of all things. Impervious to pain totally freaky ocd on attack and as strong as 2 bears.

If I hadn't trained with these guys I couldn't pick it.

BTW I m 6 2 and 100kg. Only reason I trained was it was less boring than gym.

Now I shadow kick box with hand weights for cardio and flexibility.

Last edited:

PeasantPlayer

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Thai boxing sounds legit, I will look in to that. I have a torn acl in one knee but it's been over 10 years no surgeries still manage to play basketball, run etc. I'm in my early 30s, boxing is definitely on my list, but I do want to compliment it

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been Thai boxing for 16 years now.

It helped enormously. If you been doing it for a while you get good at sizing up people. Walking into a room and knowing you can own 95% of the men there does something with you. You'll also become able to identify the 5% that will own you in a glance, so you can avoid them.

No, my nose is still straight. I just have some bruises now and then.
And to be honest, the times I've seen blood or serious injuries during practice in all these years can be counted on one hand
You are at a tremendous advantage when you can size up people as you encounter them.

Sunnypoo

Don Juan
Reaction score
"the art of fighting without fighting" - Bruce Lee.

I train MMA, with more strikes than grappling. Everything I do is based off of core strength and gross motor skills. When it comes to a street or bar fight I have only ever engaged when I (or friend) we're in danger. Too many bad things can happen. Looking like you can do damage is also quite helpful.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What BS. It's all about flexibility. The guy must be trying to sell something.

As long as you can raise your leg one third of a metre ie enough to do a leg check. Then everything can be hands.

If I had to pick one thing to prioritise it would be footwork. If you are always moving it's hard to Target you for a strong strike or a leg shoot or whatever. if your feet are good and you're always at a slight angle to the guy it lessens the value of his rear hand and leg. And it gives you more time to react.

I haven't trained for 10 years. I can still literally play my friends who train karate. it's because of footwork hand trapping and flow. I never move forward or backwards in straight lines. I love either get to the side or reposition the guy so I'm to the side and learn kali slapping or Wing Chun chain punching. really anytime you get a half second opening you could just start hitting him in the head and basically run over his defence.

BTW I'm not knocking kickboxing or MMA. Just adding a few chocolate sprinkles on top which supercharge it for self defence.

of course if I lived in America for self defence I would just carrying a big f*** off hand gun and load it with rubber bullets.

glass half full

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What BS. It's all about flexibility. The guy must be trying to sell something.

As long as you can raise your leg one third of a metre ie enough to do a leg check. Then everything can be hands.

If I had to pick one thing to prioritise it would be footwork. If you are always moving it's hard to Target you for a strong strike or a leg shoot or whatever. if your feet are good and you're always at a slight angle to the guy it lessens the value of his rear hand and leg. And it gives you more time to react.

I haven't trained for 10 years. I can still literally play my friends who train karate. it's because of footwork hand trapping and flow. I never move forward or backwards in straight lines. I love either get to the side or reposition the guy so I'm to the side and learn kali slapping or Wing Chun chain punching. really anytime you get a half second opening you could just start hitting him in the head and basically run over his defence.

BTW I'm not knocking kickboxing or MMA. Just adding a few chocolate sprinkles on top which supercharge it for self defence.

of course if I lived in America for self defence I would just carrying a big f*** off hand gun and load it with rubber bullets.

Yeah that wouldn't fly in court. The gun would bring your sentence up to a felony, not to mention other higher charges lol. Doesn't matter if a BB gun, rubber bullets or jacketed hollow points. You bring a gun into it, nobody knows any difference at the time of the incident. You've been watching too many American movies.

ubercat

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ok I'm an old fella. I'll talking about if you get mugged or have to walk through a back alley in Detroit or something. A real self defence situation not just somebody getting mouthy at a bar.