Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any engineers here?

djtdot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Will a course description help when you are a complete newbie?

I had to choose my courses for 3rd year when I was in 2nd year and I couldn't make my decision after reading stuff like this:

Digital Electronics:

Digital design techniques for integrated circuits. The emphasis will be on the design of logic gates at the transistor level. A number of different logic families will be described, but CMOS will be emphasized. Review of: device modelling, IC processing, and Spice simulation, simplified layout rules, inverter noise margins, transient response, and power dissipation, traditional CMOS logic design, transmission gates, RC timing approximations, input-output circuits, latches and flipflops, counters and adders, decoders and muxes, dynamic gates, SRAMs, DRAMs, and EEPROMs.

Now it makes sense, but back then it didn't.

Speculator E

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Neubie said:
I"m thinkin of studying chemical engineering, how you finding it?
I hate it as do most people in my class. There are a some that say they like it though. But I find it boring. You can give it a try. Like spesmilitis said the degree is hard and isn't for everyone.

Speculator E

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
spesmilitis said:
Working, graduated in June. I could offer one piece of advice to you, go to every company information session and at the end, ask for a business card. When you decide to apply for jobs, you'll then have contacts in the industry. Also, the sooner you interview jobs, the more likely you'll get a higher salary.
Thanks for the advice spesmilitis. There is another thing I like to ask you. I'm still deciding whether I want to go to graduate school or industry. How do you find a job if you haven't done any internship or research? I still have a high gpa though.

spesmilitis

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
^^^^^
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you'll have a problem at all. Esp with a high GPA.

To get a job, do the on-campus recruiting jig. I didn't, and I freggin regretted it. I had a hard-ass time finding a job. I must've sent about a thousand resumes out. I felt that I was lucky to get hooked up with the company I'm working at now.

There were only a few people who didn't have a job upon graduating, and they all had hard-ass times landing a position as well, but everyone that I know of has a job by now.

But yeah, as I mentioned, check with your local AICHE chapter and chemical engineering advisers to determine when when chemical engineering companies hold information sessions and interviews on campus. Also go to the career fairs at your school, esp science and tech career fairs. Always request a business card.

Getting jobs outside of campus is also possible, but a little time consuming as well. One way is to use your connections. If your parents friends or your friends parents work in a chemical engineering type company, ask them to hook you up. You can also apply to companies directly. Even if they didn't post a entry-level position, still send them an inquiry with your resume. I know a few people who got positions that way. Check your campus' chemical engineering website and/or career site for more tips.

If you're going for a Master's, its good to spend time in industry anyways to gain some experience and money for grad school. If you're going to do a PhD, keep in mind the time it takes to complete a PhD.

TheMainMan

Don Juan
Reaction score
Planning Engineer in the construction industry.

Class job. Well paid. Well respected. Plenty of travel.

AlexTheGreat

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
synergy1 said:
I have degrees in mechanical engineering.

I'm studying to get there just now :D

Mechs for the win ;)

by the way, do US Engs have Iron Rings as well?

Snapple

Don Juan
Reaction score
Systems and Control Engineer in my sophmore year, yes it's hard and it's very important to be interested in the type of engineering you choose and not just go along with your friends. There are also a lot of "weed out the weak" courses you will have to take in the beginning, some of which may be completely unrelated to you major. It's tough stuff but if you are really into the subject and have good math and science skills you should go for it.

Or you can major in art history and live in cardboard box for the rest of your life...

heh just kidding :whistle:

thehexman

Don Juan
Reaction score
Mechanical -- really tough stuff. About half of the guys drop out during the first 2 years, one quarter stays behind at least a year at all times because they don't pass exams, and one quarter (that's me:p ) is still on schedule.

What's an iron ring?

Where I live you have to have a diploma saying you've graduated from engineering school to call yourself an engineer. Now over here these things are certainly not doled out like candy. If you work in a company, then nothing further is required. If you have your own engineering firm, you need to contact the chamber of industry and commerce and become a member, meaning you have to prove through education and experience you are qualified to work freelance.

SmoothTalker

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
An Iron Ring is awarded to engineers in North America as a symbol of the engineer (like a doctor's stethoscope or white coat). I believe in Canada it's given shortly before you get your degree. It's not official, you still need to get licensed to offer your services to the public, but it's a pretty recognizable symbol that I've seen many engineers quite proud of.

thehexman

Don Juan
Reaction score
That Iron Ring is a pretty cool thing... we just add titles to our names. However, if somebody runs aroung with an engineering degree abbreviation, people know as well. I've got to look this Iron Ring thing up and see a picture of it....

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
yeah, the Iron Ring is a Canadian thing only

in the US, the title engineer is thrown around more loosely than other countries. if you want to have your own engineering firm or do any kind of consulting though, you need the PE certification, which takes awhile to earn - you need to pass the FE/EIT exam plus get experience and references. Government jobs place more emphasis on being a PE than private industry so a lot of people that work in industry don't really care. it kinda cheapens the profession, but whatever