Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any drummers here? I'm 31 years old....

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
with no drumming skills, and I want to learn how to play.

How long does it take to get pretty good at it?

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm ok at drums, not amazing. I tend to just get the job done. However....programming drums, I get loads of compliments.

resilient

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
A while. I used to be a drummer in a punk band way back in the day. Also played percussion all throughout grade school. Drummer sets the pace of the rock/jazz, etc. band. The bassist watches the drummer often too to make sure they both are in sync as well.

The biggest pet peeve I heard from my band mates was when I was off (early/late) on a fill.

Get good at reading music. Quarter notes, eighth notes, sixteenth notes, etc. Listen to the different style of drummers: rock, jazz, etc.

Start with a simple drum snare. You can get a simple practice pad before you expand into a full set.

You can research articles on the web and watch guys give free lessons on YouTube. If you want one-on-one instruction, there are most likely percussion teachers in your area.

Just like the guitar, to get good.... PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-play-drums/

I like this ex-drummer from Polyphia. He's gone solo:

Last edited:

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How long does it take to get pretty good at it?
I would say at least six months to a year, depending on how driven you are, and whether or not you have a knack for it. At least. Some people just can't keep a beat.

Tip: Learn to count.

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I quit guitar after 20 years, my friends say I was amazing. I got bored, and moved into computer music. It's more fun, and easier on the wrists.

Fatal Jay

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
computer music, you mean making beats on fruityloops or pro tools?

wifehunter

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Sho-No-Luv

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I started playing drums years ago around age 20, I started playing guitar and bass around age 12, around age 15 was when I picked up keyboards. And although I never mastered drums or sax, music in general has always came easy to me. But at some point I had to hone my interest down to one, which for me was keyboards.

That's mainly because I'm a multi-instrumentalist(jack of all trades master of one). I play bass, guitar, drums, piano, ALL midi keyboards programming (synths, moogs, vsts) organ and dabbled with sax. My best musicianship would probably be demonstrated on piano. But I can play and record with just about any of them with the exception of sax, the embochure requires a lot of getting used to.

Now about drums, first I must agree with the op who said that it's just like anything else people excell at their own rate with anything, music is no different. We are all born with the ability to learn unless there is a learning disability involved. I knew a female that learned how to play drums in six months and after seven months was playing for her church! I used to have a link to her on YouTube, but lost it when I changed phones.

Was she Neil Pert, Carl Palmer, Buddy Rich or John Blackwell or better yet "Sheila E"?

No.

But the very fact that she learned the basics so fast is amazing. ALWAYS learn the basics, fundamentals and rudiments first. Then decide what style you want to play. I started off playing rock and heavy metal first, but slowly gravitated to r&b and then jazz. I believe that no matter what style you're after you'd do yourself a disservice to skip steps.

I've played with and recorded with at least a dozen drummers over the years and my take is the same regarding any OTHER instrument, it requires hard work, study attention to detail and "PATIENCE".

Great musicians weren't born overnight. I myself have spent upwards of fifteen hours straight on various instruments, only breaking to use the bathroom and grab a bite to eat.

Define your goals, master the basics choose a style, study that style and surround yourself with great musicians who play that style. And last but not least get a good GREAT teacher.

I am completely self taught, but I regret not having a teacher early on. Back when I came up, we didn't have you tube and all the technology that exists now. It's was records and cassettes and you had to develop your ears as fast as possible, because you'd get clowned to OBLIVION not being able to hear chord progressions, hits and changes that everyone else was able to catch on to, or had learned(beforehand) the first go round.

I sorta think that the era I came up in produced better musicians. Alot of musicians I listened to "nowadays" sound like cookie cutter musicians. No originality, soul or creativity.​

But why?

Well, there are many reasons. They way you learn information will determine how good you can retrieve it. Being able to memorize something is vastly different from the ability to comprehend and categorize that information, though the two are related. In order to perform music well you need to develop mainly two skill sets. Muscle memory and good listening skills. You must be actively engaged in the process, before your playing will sound musical, if you just copy EVERYTHING off of YouTube, you WILL sound like a robot.

I think that a lot of musicians these days are just learning by watching people on YouTube vs listening and learning. I think musicians had better ears back in the day because we were FORCED to use them more. Everything you need to know is found on the record. You need both (Muscle memory and aural skills)
and they must work in tandem for maximum success.

Here's an article I thought you might find interesting:

http://www.kickstartyourdrumming.com/practice-drumming-without-drums/