Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Any DBZ fans here?

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Ah anime been watching it since Sailormoon came out.

DBZ was ok but I liked Dragonball better.

Paper Man means that DBZ was the pioneer for fighting shonen anime, which is roughly anime made for boys. Stuff like Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, Hunter X Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin and Yu Yu Hakusho.

Or maybe he means it's the pioneer for anime in America. In the past we've had Voltron and Thundercats then basically nothing for ten years. Then we got Sailormoon, Dragonball and Dragonball Z all coming out at around the same time. After that the floodgates were opened and now it's a steady rush.

As for Naruto, I fell bad for the people that only watch it in English. They are now getting into the filler arc. Man that time sucked I stopped watching for a few months than resumed with shippuden and now everything is ok again.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
...DBZ was ok but I liked Dragonball better.....
Mark April 3, 2009 (tentatively) on your calendar.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Marked and ready to go!!!

comic_relief

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Why? For the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra?

Kidding. Second entry in Google is about a live action Dragonball movie. Live action anime kind of scares me. It could end up being almost decent or completely god awful.

comic_relief

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Paper Man

Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
Why? For the Saint Louis Symphony Orchestra?

Kidding. Second entry in Google is about a live action Dragonball movie. Live action anime kind of scares me. It could end up being almost decent or completely god awful.
Evangelion is probably going to turn into a movie too. Now that's scary.

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Evangalion was pretty DEEP as far as when they would just drift off in their own heads.

Anyways Pook and Piccolo fused would make: Pookolo =P

just had to say that

War Against Betaism

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
DevanE said:
Cowboy Bebop.

Enough said. :whistle:
I loved that show, one of the few animes that I actually watched on TV without downloading on the internet.

Samurai Champloo, which was basically made by the same team that did Bebop, is also a great series.

Rebound Material

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

Aenigma

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Francisco d'Anconia said:
Erm, why? New Series coming out or something?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, but the date has been pushed back to 2009.

Yotsuya-san

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Maxtro said:
Or maybe he means it's the pioneer for anime in America. In the past we've had Voltron and Thundercats then basically nothing for ten years. Then we got Sailormoon, Dragonball and Dragonball Z all coming out at around the same time. After that the floodgates were opened and now it's a steady rush.
Actually, Robotech and Star Blazers were THE pioneer for anime in America. Thundercats was not anime and Voltron was bowlderdized and sanitized for American kids. Robotech and Star Blazers were the first American anime releases to present a dramatic story for kids without dumbing down or sanitizing the violence. These two shows ushered in an organized fandom for anime that didn't exist before.

Sailor Moon and DBZ were the spearhead of the Third Wave of anime fandom (first being Robotech and StarBlazers, second being Akira) and represent the commercialization and mainstreaming of anime.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yotsuya-san said:
Actually, Robotech and Star Blazers were THE pioneer for anime in America...
Space Cruiser Yamato and the Super Dimension Fortress-1!!! :rockon:
Which was better weapon, the Wave Motion gun or the Reflex Cannon? It would have been nice to see the two battleships go against each other.

Maxtro

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yotsuya-san said:
Actually, Robotech and Star Blazers were THE pioneer for anime in America. Thundercats was not anime and Voltron was bowlderdized and sanitized for American kids. Robotech and Star Blazers were the first American anime releases to present a dramatic story for kids without dumbing down or sanitizing the violence. These two shows ushered in an organized fandom for anime that didn't exist before.

Sailor Moon and DBZ were the spearhead of the Third Wave of anime fandom (first being Robotech and StarBlazers, second being Akira) and represent the commercialization and mainstreaming of anime.
I forgot about Robotech. Yeah that was a pioneer. I never heard of Star Blazers. What about Speed Racer? My dad used to watch that when he was a kid.

Akira was one movie and it I don't think it was aired on TV so I don't know how big it's impact was. Any more data about the 2nd wave?

As for "bowlderdized" anime, that has happened to a great many of shows. Heck even Sailormoon which is technically a girls show got censored. The final season, Sailor Stars was never aired because some executives thought it was too "adult orientated" be be shown on day time TV.

What funny is that I think it's great that more and more anime is being shown on American TV and that it's getting more exposure. But the thing is, for the past 5 years or so 99.9% of the anime I watch is fansubbed, that I downloaded.

Speaking of fansubbed and Macross in the previous post, anybody check out "Macross Frontier"? So far only one episode is out and the next one isn't due out till April.

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score