Americans: How is the health care mandate helping/hurting you

Upside

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I just turned 23. I have a full time job with an employer that offers pretty reasonable health care plans but I'm opting out to remain under my parents' plan until I turn 26. (Saves myself 90+ dollars or so...thanks Obama! ;) )

For ****s and giggles I looked up plans on the exchange, and for my age the cheapest plan is like $130 and I think the next best is around $160. And these are terrible in comparison to what my job offers. I know that those who are young (35+ or below) REALLY get the shaft here with higher costs. And compounding this with increased costs regarding student loans, higher costs of living, rent, mortgage, car insurance, etc. **** adds up quick.

Unfortunately, my job pays me in peanuts so adding $130+ to all my other bills really hurts when I'm not really living a lavish life to begin with. So I guess I'm pretty lucky in the short term that this is an expense I can avoid for a little bit.

Derek Flint

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Marin County, CA - just North of San Francisco
Upside said:
I just turned 23. I have a full time job with an employer that offers pretty reasonable health care plans but I'm opting out to remain under my parents' plan until I turn 26. (Saves myself 90+ dollars or so...thanks Obama! ;) )

For ****s and giggles I looked up plans on the exchange, and for my age the cheapest plan is like $130 and I think the next best is around $160. And these are terrible in comparison to what my job offers. I know that those who are young (35+ or below) REALLY get the shaft here with higher costs. And compounding this with increased costs regarding student loans, higher costs of living, rent, mortgage, car insurance, etc. **** adds up quick.

Unfortunately, my job pays me in peanuts so adding $130+ to all my other bills really hurts when I'm not really living a lavish life to begin with. So I guess I'm pretty lucky in the short term that this is an expense I can avoid for a little bit.
Don't thank Obama, thank people like myself that are having their rates nearly doubled to subsidize your plan.

And what about the Millions that will lose their health care outright?

I don't think they are thanking Obama.

Someday, you'll grow up and when you're parents aren't footing your bills, you won't be thanking Government for taking 40% of what you make to support deadbeats that live off of your taxes while you get up at 6 AM everyday and bust your ass while they sleep until noon and lounge in front of the TV all day.