America Circling the Drain

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
AlphaWhiskey said:
On the bright side though, I believe the US would be an extremely difficult country to invade/occupy due to firearm ownership. Nothing unites Americans (or anyone for that matter) who usually hate each other like a common foe. Which would turn every citizen who owns a gun into a militiaman. Something like what happened in the 1770's...
I agree. But I credit diesel fuel and fertilizer, both of which are required for any large-scale agriculture, and when combined, will also blow up anything. The dilemma to the occupiers would be that if they took them away, eventually everyone would starve.

taiyuu_otoko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score

PappyS

Don Juan
Reaction score
The USA still has a big population, lots of natural resources, and so on. But Americans are a bit delusional. They have a tendency to live in the past and think that because they've been the world's leading power for a while, they'll always be the world's leading power. The way American politicians talk now is reminiscent of the way Chinese officials used to talk in the 18th or early 19th century.

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
i would rather live in Mississippi
Not only are you the most emotional poster here, now a person from fvcking ARKANSAS is hating on Mississippi? WTF.

Colossus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
we spend every bit of 1500 on just groceries here at whole foods a month. not including BBQ food as we cook out a lot or alcohol. she works out i work out, we have a son so we have to keep snacks and **** around.. part of that is from my need to keep a full pantry at all times, but still man they breaking people out here with these prices. just dropped 350 on just freaking FOOD for the three of us and that might last a week. I consume every bit of 4000 cals a day and eat whole fishess just by myself so a lot of it is just my meat and fish and stuff but still. if we got everything at wal mart that woudl ahve been closer to 220-200.
Whole Foods is insane. I would never shop there. My gf has taught me a lot about grocery shopping, lol....never paying full price for an item, following sales, shopping at discount places like Costco or locally owned grocery stores. I used to just walk through the aisles and buy sh!t that looked good, and I'd come out of the store with $100 worth of groceries that lasted me 4 days. Now I can get MORE food to last a whole week for about $80. Just better shopping, less impulsiveness.

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Most of the world lives off of something like dried beans/lentils and rice. If you buy them dried and in bulk, a big plate of food should cost you about 25 cents. And it's healthier than pretty much anything else you're going to end up buying.

fwiw, speaking of Whole Foods, the "organic" label is a giant scam. In this country, the giant corporations bought most of the seats on the board that determines what qualifies as "organic." They add new chemicals to that list all the time: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/b...t-big-companies-influence.html?pagewanted=all

And for imported food, it's even worse. If I were to try to be an American organic food producer, I would get inspected, taxed, regulated, and fined so much that it's just not worth it But if I moved across the border to Mexico, I can douse all my crops in a hundred different poisons that are illegal to even sell in the US, then stamp it "organic" and ship it to the US. Under NAFTA, the US is not allowed to inspect or question the validity of labels on produce imports, because doing so is considered an "unfair restriction on trade." And then that poison-soaked food goes straight to Whole Foods, where all the rich people and hippies get to pat themselves on the back for spending three times what produce should cost, without realizing that they are feeding illegally toxic pesticide to their kids.

If you want healthy food, be as close as possible to its production. If you can't grow it yourself, try to buy it from the person who did. Farmer's Markets are great. A lot of small farms are surviving now by selling shares; a monthly fee gets you a portion of what they produce each month. You get to watch your own food be grown. That's much better than trusting a label, a high price, and a store full of patchouli-smelling hippies.

America's food production system is certainly circling the drain. I think that contributes to the fact that as a country we're fat, and the cost of healthcare is killing us, which is making us circle the financial drain as well.

BigJimbo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
people who are quick to say how American is going down the drain and how we are losing our power and stuff along those lines i mean make no mistake i don't like everything that is going on but when statements like that are made it tells me that person has never been outside the country at least seriously.

even compared to Europe. lol have you ever been to italy? step outside of Rome or Florance and besides the scenery i would rather live in Mississippi. people do not realize just how much FOOD, how much to do, how many options we have here in America. 'm not going to say it's the greatest place on earth i have not been everywhere, but it's a lot better off than it's citizens give it credit for. There are certain things that other countries do better than us.. the smartest 2 employees I have are both native Indians who live here in LA, and are damn near genius es both of them. much smarter than i am and both younger than I am. we had a pertty intense debate when my wife was pregnant with my son, she was not my wife at the time.. they have universal health care in england and she's an english citizen. we damn near flew to her home land to have our son lol. but as a WHOLE, i will take the US. I wish we produced more actual tangible **** and did not rely on scheming and motivating to make our money we rely much too much on services today that scares me more than anything. we don't make anything anymore. but as a whole. there aren't too many countries where a minority drug addict can turn his life around, start 2 successful companies before he's 30.

I think americans problems is that in general they are too spoiled. But the beauty of our country is that the cream will always rise to the very top and as long as there are dreamers and doers out there, we will be fine.
You are the first human on earth who would prefer Mississippi over Tuscany. Maybe if you actually visited Italy you could make a more educated comment. Florence is in Tuscany (Toscana). NOBODY who actually visited Tuscany would even dare compare it to Mississippi. I would suggest you say Calabria. That sounds better. But Tuscany? That is like saying that Somalia is preferable over Wine Country in California. Millions of Americans travel to Italy JUST to visit the areas around Florence. To taste the wine and to buy overpriced homes. Not my favorite place on earth, but the last thing I think of is Mississippi when there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPWPtQ8iN_Q&feature=player_detailpage#t=27s
I really do believe that you come from here. I am sure those Tuscans and Laziale (those from Lazio where Rome is) are jealous of your fine life. And yes, the area outside of Rome is where the wealth is.

AW1983

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Bible_Belt said:
Most of the world lives off of something like dried beans/lentils and rice. If you buy them dried and in bulk, a big plate of food should cost you about 25 cents. And it's healthier than pretty much anything else you're going to end up buying.

fwiw, speaking of Whole Foods, the "organic" label is a giant scam. In this country, the giant corporations bought most of the seats on the board that determines what qualifies as "organic." They add new chemicals to that list all the time: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/08/b...t-big-companies-influence.html?pagewanted=all

And for imported food, it's even worse. If I were to try to be an American organic food producer, I would get inspected, taxed, regulated, and fined so much that it's just not worth it But if I moved across the border to Mexico, I can douse all my crops in a hundred different poisons that are illegal to even sell in the US, then stamp it "organic" and ship it to the US. Under NAFTA, the US is not allowed to inspect or question the validity of labels on produce imports, because doing so is considered an "unfair restriction on trade." And then that poison-soaked food goes straight to Whole Foods, where all the rich people and hippies get to pat themselves on the back for spending three times what produce should cost, without realizing that they are feeding illegally toxic pesticide to their kids.

If you want healthy food, be as close as possible to its production. If you can't grow it yourself, try to buy it from the person who did. Farmer's Markets are great. A lot of small farms are surviving now by selling shares; a monthly fee gets you a portion of what they produce each month. You get to watch your own food be grown. That's much better than trusting a label, a high price, and a store full of patchouli-smelling hippies.

America's food production system is certainly circling the drain. I think that contributes to the fact that as a country we're fat, and the cost of healthcare is killing us, which is making us circle the financial drain as well.
Repped man, that article was quite illuminating. I've started to buy organic milk and eggs after reading about the hormones in the regular stuff. Guess I will try to get my veggies, etc locally whenever possible too.

Scaramouche

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Dear Pappy,
"The way American politicians talk now is reminiscent of the way Chinese officials used to talk in the 18th or early 19th century."...Quite so,but the China wasn't the mightiest Military Power on Earth at that time!

speed dawg

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Danger said:
Have you ever been to Mississippi?
HHHHHEEEELLLLLLLLLLL no, you know they have never been. They just hate because they think they can.

seagull

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
backbreaker said:
even compared to Europe. lol have you ever been to italy? step outside of Rome or Florance and besides the scenery i would rather live in Mississippi.
Mississippi is the poorest state in the US. While Tuscany is one of the wealthier areas of Italy, possibly the EU, and is richer than Mississippi. Great example, Einstein.

PRMoon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
America! F*ck yeah!!