allow users to ignore moderators

WishIWas

Banned
Reaction score
i was just in my user cp editing my ignore list. it is thus far empty, and as you can see i dont post a lot, but there are some posters who have begun to annoy me to the point that i dont think they are contributing anything decent to the board. one such poster is a moderator who i really dont feel any need to listen to.

don't get me wrong, i don't have anything against moderators, it is just this one in particular who annoys me. while i was trying to add his name to the ignore list it said he was a moderator, so the system won't allow me to not view his posts. i'm really not happy about this, because i often see him flamebaiting or making useless comments that, in my opinion, bring down the quality of the thread he posts in.

thanks for your consideration, although i doubt anything will change.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
ok ok ok ok...is it geo or is it eternal? :p

WishIWas

Banned
Reaction score
don't ask that question. i didn't say who it was for a reason.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
There should be an "ignore" feature you can click in your brain, telling your eyes to skip to the next message once you see that the person in question has made a post. If this doesn't work, you might try reading it anyway and pretending you never saw it. I wasn't aware ignoring moderators wasn't allowable, but to "fix" the problem it would require the VBulletin script be re-written... something that I doubt Allen has the time, inclination, or know-how to do. I know I sure don't.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
Originally posted by diablo
There should be an "ignore" feature you can click in your brain, telling your eyes to skip to the next message once you see that the person in question has made a post. If this doesn't work, you might try reading it anyway and pretending you never saw it. I wasn't aware ignoring moderators wasn't allowable, but to "fix" the problem it would require the VBulletin script be re-written... something that I doubt Allen has the time, inclination, or know-how to do. I know I sure don't.
Actually, it might be something that Allen could change in the administrative preferences. It's entirely possible that it might be a default control set not to allow people to ignore moderators. However, on most forums, the moderators hardly post, if at all. Since the moderators here do post a lot, it DOES make sense to allow people to ignore their posts in a situation like has been brought up here. If Allen can just make an adjustment to change it, he probably should. There is also a moderator of two I'd like to put on ignore for the same reason stated by the person who started this thread. It would also make it less likely for me to react to flamebaiting.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Wyldfire
It would also make it less likely for me to react to flamebaiting.
True, but wouldn't it all come down to maturity? Who's being a bigger person and who's being petty? Not that I'm casting any blame on any one person in particular, but speaking in general terms... If you want to ignore someone, just ignore 'em.

Actually, it might be something that Allen could change in the administrative preferences.
If it matters that much to the person who made the thread, then he'll research whether it's an option the admin can change on his own, or if it's code that would have to be re-written, then post his findings here. A good place to start would be VBulletin's support forum, located by googling "vbulletin support". :p

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
i didnt even now what the ignore feature did untill now. I asumed it was just so they could not PM you. Why did i not know? because i have never used it.

to get so frustrated over osmthing posted on an internet forum, that you have to block out the guys posts, is genrally considered to be very AFC, would you not agree.

WishIWas

Banned
Reaction score
check mate kid, I don't really care if you think me not wanting to listen to an annoying moderator makes me an AFC. You're flamebaiting, and I do not appreciate it.

I'll research it later Diablo - I can't access the vBulletin support board right now.

Sure, I could just ignore this guy, but he posts a lot, in a lot of threads, and I don't enjoy reading his garble. It would be much simpler for me if I could just ignore him.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by WishIWas
check mate kid, I don't really care if you think me not wanting to listen to an annoying moderator makes me an AFC. You're flamebaiting, and I do not appreciate it.
not really, and a mature person would not be tempted to flame due to what someone else writes, bait is used to catch fish, you are not a fish are you?

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
However, on most forums, the moderators hardly post, if at all.
This is a general statement. I do not find that this is generally true. I belong to and moderate on other boards. This is simply not true, at least of the boards that I belong to.

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Paradox
This is a general statement. I do not find that this is generally true. I belong to and moderate on other boards. This is simply not true, at least of the boards that I belong to.
Ditto. I belong to several forums, and the moderators post a lot in all of them. That's often how they end up as moderators to begin with. It's rare that a board administrator will say, "Hey, you know... I hardly ever see you post... would you be a moderator?" No... they want people who are on the board a lot.

Ziroh

Don Juan
Reaction score
And thus the most socially inept are guiding the crowd...

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ziroh
If that's what you want to believe. I can only speak for myself (and maybe diablo, who has the pictures to prove it), but I'm more socially adept than you'll ever know. I'm on this board a lot, but most of the time I spend on this board is while I'm at work or whatever.

Paradox

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ziroh
Wow! What a statement. You are attempting to flamebait all of the Moderators here. It is an insult that perhaps reflects your own social inadequacies.

What is the reason for this? Did some man here hurt you?

Francisco d'Anconia

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
How would the theme of the forum be kept on track if the mods didn't post?

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What is the reason for this? Did some man here hurt you?
I might have kicked his puppy... it's hard to say. I kick a LOT of puppies, so I can never be sure.

check_mate_kid_uk

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
so what other forums you lot on? im only on this one! (well i have registered on others in the past but am only active on this one)

Giovanni Casanova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by check_mate_kid_uk
so what other forums you lot on? im only on this one! (well i have registered on others in the past but am only active on this one)
Sounds like a good topic for Anything Else. We wouldn't want to get someone's panties in a wad by derailing this very valuable, highly important, critically worthwhile thread though.

Wyldfire

Banned
Reaction score
It's true of most large forums, but not of smaller ones. I've mostly spent time on the larger sites.

diablo

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's true of most large forums, but not of smaller ones. I've mostly spent time on the larger sites.
That could be due to there being so much posting that they have nothing but work to do from the moment they log on until the instant they leave. That or perhaps their postings contribute such a negligable fraction of the total count (or are so uncontroversial) that you really never notice they're speaking in the first place. Here, we like to be able to sit back and talk to people. :)