Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

Air force

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey all, I just graduated college and have nothing really going on. I have a pantload of student loans to pay back and no sign of a real job in sight. I was thinking of joining the air force. It's a huge decision and one I need to deliberate for a few months but if nothing turns up jobwise, this might be a way to get some alleviation of debt, plus new technical skills I could use to actually get a job, not to mention benefits. Anyone have any suggestions/advice on this?

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

Deadly_Assassin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
What area are you looking in? I mean in the technical department or flying (pilot)?

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you have a degree, you can go in as an officer; I don't know the details on how they do it these days. You might have to take a few ROTC classes and go to ROTC camp, but as an officer you make twice the money and do half the work, compared to enlisting.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm looking to get in the technical department. I dont think I'd be allowed to fly with my horrible vision.

I've heard that I can go in as an officer since I have a degree, that's definitely good news. I'm working crappy jobs now and my degree is in communications, which basically helps me to get a job nowhere. Air force seems like a good way to get awesome health benefits, help repaying loans, new tech skills, not to mention seeing something completely different for awhile.

I still want a few weeks to decide but it's looking more and more like the way I want to go.

mpimpin

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
It's seems like a very good choice given your situation. If you wanted to you could also get them to pay for further educational expenses and pick up another degree.

You could do 20 years and retire with a pension and benefits and pick up another job if you wanted to with a new degree. I've had a handful of college professors do this.

WhitePimp

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to join. I was feeling really empty inside and directionless, and now, I actually feel excited about my life again.

For once I feel like I'm making the best decision for my life and future. Thanks for advice doods...:up:

Redsand426

Don Juan
Reaction score
If I wanted to become a pilot in the airforce, what would be the quickest path starting from scratch? Regular flight school? College w/ aviation degree? Or the airforce? Just something I've been thinking about recently.

To the OP, good luck!

Bible_Belt

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Pilots are officers. You first need to become a commissioned officer through ROTC in college, the Academy, or Officer Candidate School (Army and Marines have this for enlisted soldiers to become officers; I'm not sure about the Air Force). ROTC is the easiest way to a commission. If you have good grades and test scores, you can get them to pay for college while you train to become an officer. When you graduate and get your 4-year degree (another requirement to be an officer), you also get your commission.

All of that is the easy part. The hard part is that almost everyone else wants to be a pilot, too, so they test the hell out of you. I failed the depth perception vision test; they said I would fly the plane into a mountain or something. It's not like I walk into walls or anything, but the tests are strict. The majority of people who want to fly never get the chance. You have to first be satisfied with being an Air Force Officer, and just take your chances that you can make it through the strict selection process to become a pilot.

Reaction score
Redsand426 said:
If I wanted to become a pilot in the airforce, what would be the quickest path starting from scratch? Regular flight school? College w/ aviation degree? Or the airforce? Just something I've been thinking about recently.
In college, start ROTC. Major doesn't mean jack. A guy with an aeronautical engineering degree has the same chance as the guy with a degree in piano performance. Keep your GPA up (think 3.8-4.0+), and stay at the top of your ROTC classes. Taking some private pilot/instrument certification courses will also help. When you're in the ROTC, you will fill out your dream sheet of jobs to do once you are commissioned. The better you did in college and ROTC bumps you up further. Stay healthy, keep your nose clean, and always maintain your military bearing.

That's how you become a USAF pilot. If you want to fly bombers or fighters, you need to be at or very near the top of your class in flight school.