Advice needed on talking about yourself

alwayslead8821

Don Juan
Reaction score
I have heard two different sides on talking about yourself. One side says dont and the other says go for it to build social value. My problem is my job always has people wanting to talk about it (flight instructor) and what I have been doing I don't think is that great.
I don't ever mention it myself
She says "so what do you do?"
I say "I flight instruct at blah blah"
She says "wow that's awesome, so you teach people how to fly?"
I say "yeah its a good job"
I always just kind of blow it off like its not a big deal and dont go into depth but I'm not sure if this is the way to go. Shortly after I do that she usually doesn't seem as positive. Maybe I am not being positive enough or something but I was just not trying to come off as an arrrogent ass and maybe my efforts made me seem like that..?

So If you guys could just tell me how you would go about it and how you talk about yourself I would appreciate it. Thanks

Isko

Don Juan
Reaction score
At any given time, take the conversation somewhere you enjoy it being. Don't worry about impressing them with your job OR with your humility.

FreD_BeaR

Don Juan
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you are making yourself sound bad.

Think of it this way, you go to a job interview. And the boss asks you about your school you graduated from. He'll ask you questions about the school and what your opinion is. If you respond, with "oh the school sucked", you probably wont get hired. But if you respond with, "oh i loved it, the so so program is great and I really liked all the profs" youre much more likely to get the job. It's because you are positive about it, your showing charisma, interest and passion.

The same can go for when talking to a girl. If you aren't being interesting, then what youre saying wont be interesting. But if you show liveliness and charisma, your passion about the subject will cause attraction.

zekko

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I always just kind of blow it off like its not a big deal and dont go into depth
I tend to do this also, just because I don't like talking about work. I figure I spend enough time when I'm there, I don't like thinking about it when I'm not.

alwayslead8821

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys.. It definitely makes since on what you’re saying fred bear. "I remember times I have even said yeah once you get used to it, it’s not much more different then a car." I'll just talk about it as positive as I can and use charisma.. Thanks again!