Advice About College Choice from a College Guy

Stratocaster

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hey,

I made my college choice ONLY because of the job placement and the gaurantee of a good job. But going to an 85% male engineering school has made me the most unhappy i have ever been at school. Not only are 90% of the girls ugly as fvck, the hot ones already have boyfriends and think you are a creep if you try and make eye contact with them.(no lie)

Don't lie to yourself. Girls are an important part of you. Your happiness doesn't rely on girls, but they are a part of your social life.(think...on a Friday night I always used to say "Let's call up some girls man")

Go to a college that has girls. Go to a college that gives you a good quality degree. Better yet, go to a college that has girls and gives you a good quality degree!

Think about it...once you get out into the workforce, your experience is what gets you a job, not your degree anymore. Ask you parents. So pick a college where you will have fun and enjoy those 4 years!

If you end up in a spot you don't like...transfer. I'm transferring to Marquette which is right down the road from where I am. Best decision I have ever made, lots of hot chicks and a great engineering program.

Peace

08aisaac

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
True that.
It's the same for highschool. Many of my teachers have told me, highschool doesn't really teach you anything, except how to socialize with people. And of course, they try to ingrain AFC ideas into your heads, too.

But a really good teacher of mine says that your job will probably retrain you anyway.

So enjoy hs.

toddC

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yea I'm attending Indiana University next year...That has plenty of hot girls and the #10 business program in the country. So I think that I'll be good....so I hope. :)

adpreston1988

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm going to the University of Michigan's School of Engineering next year and I get the best of both worlds. The Engineering school is one of the best in the country and I can still socialize with people in LS&A and Michigan definitely has a lot of HOT girls!!

Contender

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by adpreston1988
Yeah, I'm going to the University of Michigan's School of Engineering next year and I get the best of both worlds. The Engineering school is one of the best in the country and I can still socialize with people in LS&A and Michigan definitely has a lot of HOT girls!!
I applied to UMich, too! I'm waiting for my acceptance letter!

immrtlwun

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Since we're talking about colleges, anyone here headed to Ball State? They have great Architecture and Entrpreneurial schools, as well as a ton of hot girls. I visited last fall and saw a ton of fine chicks.

Vincent

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
If you want engineering don't forget about Texas Tech.

Great school, insanely hot chicks (INSANE), Good all around college. With about 25-30k students and at about 53:47 ratio there's always plenty of tail to go after.

:cool:

Plus we have a good football team.

And go UMich! Let's hope they don't suck again next year.

08aisaac

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by toddC
Yea I'm attending Indiana University next year...That has plenty of hot girls and the #10 business program in the country. So I think that I'll be good....so I hope. :)
Hmm, north of where I live, I think.
I've got some time to think about it, but I'll probably do some sort of part time thing, cause I'm a poor SOB.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Bah. You'll have plenty of time to find women after finishing school for good. If you want women to be a factor in your choice, then for goodness sake do NOT let it be the #1 thing.

The only things that are important are A) it has the major you want, B) you like the location, C) you like, or at least don't hate the town where the school is located (if the school isn't local), D) you can take classes at the time of day you want to take them, E) the class schedule will permit you to hold a job (if necessary), and F) your parents (or whomever is paying) can afford the tuition.

And whatever you do, research every aspect that you consider important, and do your research before visiting (if you plan to visit prior to attending). If the school doesn't fit the criteria, then why bother visiting if you aren't going to go anyway?

Here's another tip: If you make visitations, do so later in the week. The reason is so that you can also see what the party scene is like down there, as well as what the school is like. Yes, there might be partying that's going on early in the week, but there A) aren't as many, and B) people who do that are generally less likely to be serious about the classes. I haven't personally tested this but it's common sense.

And finally, do this unless you are either a valedictorian or a complete nerd:

If you plan to attend full-time, do NOT take a full load the first semester. Attend part-time, and go full-time later. High school and college are different animals. You'll be spending a lot of time getting used to things, and you don't need lots of class work to make things harder. Yes, this will mean that it will take longer to complete college. So what? Most people don't complete it in four years. Plus, when you're 70 (or even 40), is it really going to matter if you took a little longer in college? I don't think so. This last one is from personal experience. I performed SO poorly my first semester (due to mostly personal problems) that despite GREAT improvement in the second semester I wasn't permitted to come back next year. Now I'm attending community college.

By the way, I'm 20.5 (I turn 21 this summer) and I've been out of high school for 2.5 years (class 2003).

Ben

Alfie Crew

Don Juan
Reaction score
If I were you I would make friends with people at another school near by, and just network and keep making new friends.

I was going to go to a 80% male University then switched to a 39% male one.....I am glad I did.

pr0teus

Don Juan
Reaction score
I just applied to the faculty of engineering at the University of Victoria and the University of Alberta, both in Canada. All I know is both have female names...How about female students, anyone?

Alfie Crew

Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by pr0teus
I just applied to the faculty of engineering at the University of Victoria and the University of Alberta, both in Canada. All I know is both have female names...How about female students, anyone?
google it.

Abbott

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Originally posted by pr0teus
There's the CollegeBoard (the same organization that administers the SAT test).

While it's geared mainly for U.S. schools, there is information about schools in other countries. And if any other country is going to be covered, Canada is a likely candidate.

There's lots of information about each school, like % male, % female, race %'s, % accepted, tuition rates, student body size, and much more.

Ben