Adam's Log - an English Boy's Attempt to Bulk

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello everyone and welcome to m'log. I'll try and update this atleast every other day as I'm doing it mainly to give myself some solid routine. That said, the occasional motivational remark would be muchly appreciated aswell :D

Now before I begin to digress a little too much and begin offering tea, I better get down to the figures:

----------------------------------------------------

My Stats 02/12/08
Height: 5'6.5'' and growing :D (168cm)
Weight: 54Kg (126lbs)

5 rep max 'Biglifts'
Squat: 70Kg - 154lbs
Deadlift: 85Kg - 187lbs
Bench Press (flat): 55Kg - 121lbs

The Routine
I'll be using Mark Rippetoe's 11 week program: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=712752

I also cycle a bit: roughly 5 miles (7.5Km) a day over hills, mostly due to school. Aswell as this, I like to rock climb. There's this big old converted church only 2 miles or so away - great fellers who work there. Come and check it out if you're in the area (Bristol, that is) :up:

So my routine's looking like this:

WEEK A
Monday - Rest (and is it ever - get the whole morning off)
Tuesday - Workout A
Wednesday - 2 hours of climbing
Thursday - Workout B
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Workout A
Sunday - Rest

WEEK B
Monday - Rest
Tuesday - Workout B
Wednesday - 2 hours of climbing
Thursday - Workout A
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Workout B
Sunday - Rest

Short Term Goals
  • 100 kg/220lb Deadlift by Christmas
  • 80 kg/176lb Squat by Christmas
  • 60 kg/132lb Bench Press by Christmas

Long Term Goals
I'm going for mass here mostly, but I don't want to be the muscular unfit guy. Might throw in some more dedicated cardio later on to improve my fitness. Not too bothered about abz right now - will try and cut when I've got some noticeable mass going down.

Last edited:

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
02/12/08

Day 1, Week 1

Alpha Point baby.

So I started out today, actually on a WEEK B to synch in with my friend who's doing the same course as me.

Here's how it went:

Sets x Reps - Weight

Squat
2 x 6 - bar(20kg/44lbs)
1 x 3 - 40kg/88lbs
1 x 3 55kg/121lbs

Actual Set
3 x 5 x 70kg/154lbs

These felt good. I've done squats before and never felt comfortable with 'em. I found pressing down through your heels helped a tonne (well, probably more in the region of 20kgs... :p).

I tried going 'ass to grass' on the warmup sets, but wthout rocking onto my toes I couldn't keep my back straight. I still went past parallel, but I heard AtG is better? Advice would be appreciated on that one.

Standing Millitary Press
1 x 5 x bar

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 30kg/66lbs
1 x 4.5 x 35kg/77lbs

Stumbled slightly on the last rep of the 35kg set, so it don't count. These felt a little wierd. I'm too used to doing the excersise with dumbells I think. I'd like to improve this a fair amount.

Bent Barbell Row
1 x 5 x 15kg/33lbs (bar)
4 x 5 x 35kg/77lbs

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 45kg/99lbs (upright - had some troubles adjusting with form)
1 x 5 x 35kg/77lbs (adjusted it with the help of a freind - unhappy with this)
1 x 5 x 40kg/88lbs (bent over also)

Underarm Pullups
1 x 10 x bodyweight - palm facing towards me

Core Work

A nice little burnout I felt the need for

1 x 15 x 5kg/11lbs decline situps
1 x 15 x bodyweight hanging leg raises

Overall

A pretty solid workout I reckon. Looking forward to Thursday's to tell you the truth :D

I'm going to endeavour to post up some pictures of me in my current state - I think that'll be something I'd like to do to visually chart my progress. I'll post up a meal plan too, probably tommorow - it's probably the thing I'll find hardest to alter.

Cheers

Adam

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You no doubt need to work on your flexibility.

www.stronglifts.com is a good resource to start with for information on stretching and form for most of the big lifts.

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
mrRuckus said:
WTF is a kg? Weirdo.
Exactly the kind of motivational remark I was looking for :D

@ simon: Thanks man, I'll have a look at those.

04/12/08

Day 3, Week 1

Squat
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 4 x 40kg/88lbs
1 x 5 x 60kg/132lbs

Actual Set
1 x 5 x 75kg/165lbs
1 x 4 x 75kg/165lbs (lapse of concentration on last rep :()
1 x 5 x 70kg/154lbs

Not happy with dropping down back to 70.. Squatting with jeans on just didn't have me in the mood at all (forgot me shorts). Still, new PR on the 1 x 5. Reckon' I should make that 1 x 5 x 80(176lb) for Christmas :up:

Bench Press
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 35kg/77lbs
1 x 4 x 50kg/110lbs

Actual Set (sort of)
1 x 2 x 60kg/132lbs (to see if I could.)
2 x 5 x 55kg/121lbs
1 x 4 x 55kg/121lbs

Bailed the last rep on the third set :down: I've done 3 x 5 x 55 before. Wasn't my day today.. Should make the 60kg(132lb) Christmas target, for 1 x 5 atleast.

Deadlift
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 40/88
1 x 5 x 70/154

Actual Set
1 x 5 x 85/187

Core
2 x 12 Hanging Leg Raises
2 x 10 x 10kg/22lb Decline situps

Didn't improve on these because I was working on form mostly. Didn't feel very strong after bailing both my bench and my squat.

Overall a pretty rubbish workout. Felt a bit grotty, had jeans on :)o) but probably most importantly I was hella hungry. Not cool. This is the last time I workout after only a light breakfast. Lesson learned :woo:

Meals for today:

meal 1 (8:15) - large bowl of oatmeal (the finest Scottish oats), 1 large banana, 1 large glass of semi skimmed milk. Oh, and a multivitamin pill.

meal 2 (12:00 - post workout) - protein shake (30g impact whey protein) and a tin of ravioli

meal 3 (14:30) - packed lunch with 4 slices of wholemeal bread with sandwhich meat (ham) and lettuce, an apple, a packet of monster munch (crisps), a satsuma, a yoghurt

meal 4 (17:00) - chinese style duck with the pancake things with lettuce and cucumber. Glass of orange juice.

meal 5 (19:30) - 3 large eggs (ommelette) with chedder cheese and ham

meal 6 (21:15 - just now) - a tin of tuna, 30g whey protein shake

This is a reasonably typical diet for me at the moment. From what I can tell it needs improvement - I'm not getting enough 'proper' meats into it. See the major problem I have with diet is my parents. They are very reluctant to break from the normal trends of the last 6 years or so. Food's quite alot more expensive in the UK than in the US and we're not well off. I get £40 a month to spend on things, £12 of which is going to buying a kilo of whey protein. If I spent the rest om food, I reckon' I could get a pretty good diet, but it's really just not feasible ( I have to spend it on going out, clothes etc.).

Getting a job wouldn't be ideal at the moment, what with my studies. I'm taking AS Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Geography and 'Critical Thinking' and I'm pushing for straight As to get to where I want to be. I had a job for a short time (working in a high end clothes shop) and felt my school work slipping a little, which I am not prepared to let happen.

As such I'm in a bit of a quandry.

Advice or Critique much appreciated.

Cheers

Adam

simon

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Part-time weekend work?

Even crappy jobs like glass collecting in bars/pubs pays minimum wage, so just 8 hours work a week would get you £40+

Stuff like paid online surveys could get you about £30 a month or more if you did as many as you possibly could.

See www.moneysavingexpert.com for more ideas

kickureface

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you def need more foods, especially if you are climbing like a bear for 2 hours!!

Triple T

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Get a part-time job.
Trust me. You'll learn great time management skills.
One or two days a week. It gets me about $200 a paycheque (every two weeks). Thats about $400 a month.

Easy stuff, I usually work on Saturday mornings (6am-12am) and then Sunday afternoons (12am-5pm) you still have your weekend to enjoy plus some cash. :up:

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, I'm back. Illness and a death of family member have unfortunately kept me away from anything gym related this past 10 days or so. Don't think this absence is going to be the regular trend :p

@simon: I'll take a look at that site - thanks man.

@kickureface: I think you're right. Diet is still my big weak point at the moment. Looking to fix that up though.

@Messarger: How have I missed that before?! Some interesting points, especially regarding the oil.

@Triple T: It's something I've been thinking more and more about. From my (limited) past experiences, working week days on top of school and homework isn't the way to go.

12/12/08

Day 11, Week 2

Squat
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 30/66
1 x 5 x 50/110

Actual Set
3 x 5 x 70/154

Didn't go hard on these. I was 'teaching' my friend the ropes of doing a warmup too, so those sets were a little lower than I'd usually do. Played a good hour and a half on football (soccer, to the yanks out there) earlier and so I deceided to focus on form.

Standing Millitary Press
1 x 5 x bar

Actual Set
3 x 5 x 35/77

These felt alot stronger than a week back :up:

Bent Rows
1 x 5 x bar (15/33)
1 x 4 x 30/66
1 x 3 x 40/88
1 x 3 x 50/110 (felt form slipping here so dropped down for actual set)

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 45/99

Form improved alot from last time. Knew it didn't feel right doing these with straight legs :rolleyes:

Decline Situps
2 x 15 x 10/22 weight on chest

Hanging Leg Raises
2 x 12

Overall, a decent workout. Dropped down slightly on the squats but under the circumstances I'm not that bothered. On a downer, the goals I set for myself for Christmas don't look all that realistic at the moment, simply because I missed a good 4 workouts/10 days of correct eating. Reckon I might still make the Squat though - we'll see :cool:

On the diet, would it be 'ok' to really go mad on eating carbs for the extra calories and do cardio on my off days? Until mid January a job isn't really viable, due to AS exams, so this'll be a temporary thing, but I'd like to get some opinions.

Thanks for reading

Adam

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
@kickureface: Hmm, I guess I probably would fit into the skinny category - atleast, I wouldn't say I'm muscular or fat. The diet as a whole is getting alittle better though - it's quite amazing how much food you can scrounge if you set your mind to it :D

15/12/08

Day 14, Week 3

Squat
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 35/77
1 x 5 x 45/99
1 x 3 x 55/121

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 72.5/160
1 x 5 x 75/165

Back on form concerning the squats I think :up: Pushed it back up to the 75 mark because I was finding them a little easy. 3 x 5 x 75/165 Thursday, fow show.

Incline Bench Press

Decieded to give these a go, because they're supposed to be better for upper pec. development:

1 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 30/66
1 x 5 x 40/88
1 x 2 x 50/110 (too heavy)

Actual Set
3 x 5 x 45/99

Didn't like these at all. Now I'm not sure if it was my bench set up or what, but it just felt very strange. One thing I noticed was that when I took the load of the bar, my body slumped down into the chair (bench), so my back wasn't flat on it unless I really forced down with my heels. Is this normal? I might go back to regular bench...

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 25/55
1 x 4 x 45/99
1 x 2 x 75/165

Actual Set
1 x 5 x 90/198
1 x 1 x 100/220 :D

Pleased with these. Hitting the 100 kilo mark was something I was very keen to do (with good form too ;)). Hopefully I'll bump my 5 rep weight by Christmas.

Decline Sit Ups
2 x 15 x 10/22

Hanging Leg Raises
1 x 12

THE PLANK
Held with a 10 kilo weight on the back for 3 minutes. God, that is a killer way to end a gym session...

Overall felt good, especially to see my squat come back up. Next update thursday :up:

Cheers

Adam

Last edited:

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
18/12/08

Day 17, Week 3

Getting into the groove.

Squat
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 40/88
1 x 3 x 60/132

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 75/165
1 x 5 x 77.5/170.5

Pretty chuffed with these, really. Felt strong on the last set so bumped it up a couple of kilos - 80kg for Christmas, here we come :up:

Standing Millitary Press
1 x 5 x bar
1 x 3 x 37.5/82.5 - (too heavy for a set of 5)

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 35/77
1 x 4 x 35/77

Flopped on the last rep of these. Not especially bothered about it though because I used my shoulders a fair bit yesterday, carting wooden beams around (don't ask).

Bent Barbell Rows
1 x 5 x 20/44
1 x 4 x 30/66

Actual Set
1 x 5 x 50/110
2 x 5 x 47.5/104.5

These felt actually quite good. The 50kilo set had to be dropped down in the subsequent ones, as I felt my form slipping on the last couple of reps.

Decline Situps
2 x 15 x 10/22

Hanging Leg Raises
2 x 12

Overall, a good routine :D Happy with the squat progress and genrally felt great all day (helped quite massively by my fresh new haircut getting compliments from a tonne of girls, with a new number at the end ;) ) and I made sure to eat a solid meal an hour or so beforehand.

Really looking forward to the deadlifts on Saturday :up:

Thanks for Reading

Adam

mrRuckus

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Adam said:
I'll be using Mark Rippetoe's 11 week program:
Has anyone else noticed this yet?

Where did you get the idea that it's an 11 week program? It's an "until it doesn't work anymore program" which for you is probably at least 6 months and likely over 9.

Adam

Don Juan
Reaction score
21/12/08

mrRuckus said:
Has anyone else noticed this yet?

Where did you get the idea that it's an 11 week program? It's an "until it doesn't work anymore program" which for you is probably at least 6 months and likely over 9.
I thought 11 weeks was a standard amount of time you lift for a solid period, followed by a week break. Don't think I'll be skiving off after the 11 weeks are up - I'm going for something of a long term lifestyle change here :cool:

@simon: It's better than before, I think, but it could definately be improved. Here's my diet for today:

Meal 1 : 1 bowl of Porridge, an apple, a banana, a multivitamin tablet
Meal 2 : Packet of crisps, tin of beef ravioli, 2 large eggs (raw)
Meal 3 (pre-workout): 1 large potato with butter and a tin of tuna
Meal 4 (post-workout): Sunday Roast :up: (beef, roast potatoes, carrots, broccoli, green beans - no yorkshire puddings foe me though - I'm on a diet :p)
Meal 5 : 4 eggs (raw)
Meal 6 (planned): 1 scoop of whey, 200mls milk, 2 scoops of peanut butter

The good news is my parents have loosened up a little bit on the purse-strings. I've been spending more of my own money of food too, which I think has shown them I'm serious about this.

I'm thinking about not buying any more whey, as already suggested, so I can spend more on food (like eggs). Thing is, for the amount of protein I get per £, whey protein powder is much better than everything else...

Opinions?

21/12/08

Day 20, Week 3

Squat
2 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 40/88
1 x 4 x 60/132

Actual Set
2 x 5 x 77.5/170.5
1 x 3 x 80/176

Could have done the third set at 77.5 on these I reckon, but I wanted to see how much I could do at my goal of 80. Quite pleased with this though - should get to 1 x 5 x 80 by Christmas.

Bench Press (flat)
1 x 5 x bar
1 x 5 x 30/66

Actual Set
1 x 5 x 60/132 - not full reps. Could only lift to 2 inches above the chest cos' my lifting partner was late and the equiptment at my 'gym' could only have been made by a blind chimp.
2 x 5 x 55

Haven't done these in yonks it seems.

Deadlift
1 x 5 x 45/99
1 x 5 x 65/143
1 x 2 x 80/176

Actual Set
1 x 3.5 x 100/220 (only half a rep on no. 4)

Though I'd give these a go. Should have done a full set of 95kg, really, but honestly, I was curious at to what I could do.

Decline Situps
2 x 15 x 12.5/27.5

Hanging Leg Raises
2 x 12

Ouch! My core is completely fried after that and the mile cycle home. In a good way though. I'm actually pretty pleased with the deadlift. Problem is, I'll be away for my next deadlift workout, so I'll have to extend the Christmas target a little for those :whistle:

Thanks for reading :)

Adam