A sorrow story & To Rippetoe or not to Rippetoe?

Perfect10

Don Juan
Reaction score
Hello fellow posters of H&F!

A depressing thing has occurred in my workout sessions.
I've been without working out for 2 months. Two months of shame.
But I do have something to blame it on, which happens luckily not to be myself.

I had work for 2 months straight in another town (more like a village) where the nearest gym happened to be 40 miles away and closed at 9 pm and me getting out of work at 8-8.30. Yeah no chance, I know.

So I tried to do pushups, abs, dips and stuff, even went jogging. Now that I'm back to my city, the first thing I do is that I go to the gym hoping that I wouldn't have lost TOO much.

a whooping -88lbs off my squats :eek:

I cried and shouted and threw barbells at people in the gym (i jk :rock: )

But there is light at the end of the tunnel.

I can now try and start another workout program! So I'm thinking Rippetoes!

What do you guys think? Should I? Could I? Will it kill me?

I did before the A simple powerlifting program by that dude IronAddicts.
Worked well got (all reps)(before two months break) Squat from 132lb to 242lbs, Bench from 132lbs to 187lbs and Deads from 176lbs to 330lbs. But I grew a bit bored of this program so that's why I'd like to change.

I'm a bit worried about the 3xweek squatting since my legs have been sore for two days from that last squatting I did.

So please if you have got some suggestions or ideas. I'd be happy to hear your opinion.

She makes you weak in the knees.

But she won't give you the time of day.

Here is how to get her.

Kerpal

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes. No reason to do anything else until you've reached your limits on a simple linear progression program. It's axiomatically the fastest way to progress.

Perfect10

Don Juan
Reaction score
I'm not surprised that you Kerpal would recommend it. Your legs must be made of steel by now :crackup:

So yes well today I'll then give it a go.

Squats 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deads 1x5
Dips 2x8

Sweet lord. It looks so innocent, just a four rows of text, but I know I'm being F'ed from behind today :eek:

thechosenone2190

Don Juan
Reaction score
ive done rippetoe's for year, and i am absolutely stunned by the results ive gotten. it's unbelievable. i waste so much time admiring my body in front of a mirror after every workout. very nice v shape, perfect proportions, everything. i feel stronger. i perform better at sports, although that is the not the intent of the rippetoe workout.

before rippetoe's, i had been wasting hours in the gym doing isolation exercises and curls without any results for several yrs. i first noticed results within 2 weeks of doing rippetoe's, and rippetoe's workout takes even less time to do than what i was previously doing. trust in the rippetoe program

the thing with squats is to make sure you push from heels, squeeze your glutes, and drive your hips inwards. that way, you put minimal strain on your knees. all the sensation should be in your glutes after doing squats, not the knees. sometimes, my knees feel sore from playing basketball, but i still force myself to do the squats. at time, my knees just can't go on further in the middle of my squat, so i just force myself to use my hip drive instead to finish the squat, which is good form.