A Little Rant Against Modern Technology

Jazzman19

Don Juan
Reaction score
*I searched the Forum guidelines to see where this would fit, and I couldn't find a sound answer. So I am putting it here. Warning, another one of my trademark GIANT posts*

Some of the topics we talk about including gaming on things like Facebook, MySpace, Meebo, etc. I have mixed feelings on the matter, because I even hating texting on cell phones; I hate what it has done to modern society. So to say I had an interesting experience with modern tech earlier today is an understatement.

Some of you who have followed my threads will know about this girl who was just a "friend" that I went pretty AFC on, and things started to go downhill. You will know that our "friendship" was ended due to a Facebook note I wrote about relationships that she took as being about her, and then a fight we had that led to an epic major AFC e-mail to her. All of these are in threads you can easily find if you want to see. I had pushed all this **** away; hadn't had any contact with her on my part in three months despite her trying to contact me back in May. That is until tonight.

My younger sister got a job as a civilian with the US military and is working in Germany for the entire summer. She has never been farther then two hours away from the family, and I admit I knew I was going to miss my little sister. She decided that she was going to use Twitter to stay in contact with the family because it was cheaper (along with e-mails), so everyone (and I mean almost 45 family members) signed up for Twitter to follow her.

Back in January when I got my full-time job after graduating from college the same sister set-up a Twitter account for me because she thought I would need it for "networking." Since I am AWFUL with technology (I didn't even know what a USB drive was until I got the job) I gave her full control over my profile. She set everything up and added all my friends. At the time, it included that girl I mentioned above. Needless to say, I ended up not needing Twitter for my job, everyone used a different website to network. So I let the account slip into what the website called "suspension." It basically meant that all my contacts were kept, but I was no longer considered active on the network. I think you can see where this is going.

I asked my sister for all my log-in information again, and she sent it to me. I sent a message to the Account Admins at Twitter to have my profile re-activated, and they did so. What they did not tell me is that when I did this, it RE-CONTACTED all the people I was "following" or were "following" me, and let them know I was active again. I added my sister and a whole bunch of family, sent a nice little "tweet" as they call it to my sister, and signed-off. Figured everything was good.

Around 10:45 PM my Dad asked to use my MSN to talk to one of my cousins about a job interview my cousin has tomorrow with one of my Dad's friends. I logged him in and left him at my computer. About two minutes later he turns to me and goes "Jazz, I thought you weren't talking to *the girl's name* anymore?" I responded with I wasn't, and he said "Well she just contacted you." I was shocked. I deleted this girl from EVERYTHING. I didn't block her because she had blocked ME from everything she had, and I figured that deleting her was good enough. No, this girl took the time to unblock me from MSN, and send me this:

"Her: why the hell are you still trying to get in touch with me ? I just updated my twitter. we are not friends-your damn fault-get over it!!!!!!!"

I didn't know what to think, other then to laugh at it. My fault?....hahaha, she wishes. She was the one who decided our friendship was done, she was the one who cursed me out and belittled me like I was some b***h, and she was the one to cut me out of her life completely. I attempted to stupidly mend fences the DAY after our argument, and you all worked me through why that was a horrible idea. So my hands were wiped clean of this girl, completely.

Now? I briefly thought about sending her a message saying essentially "don't flatter yourself b***h." A lot of other thoughts have run through my head, especially one's thinking she probably thinks I am some needy "b***h" who wants back in her life. But after I post this, I am done thinking about this ****. I just have to say, I hate technology, I really do. I hate all these damn social networking sites and other related websites, because if you don't make sure you do everything right down to the TINIEST detail, it can come back to bite you in the ass. This one wasn't even my fault, and now I got this crap to deal with again. You will probably say "it was just a MSN message, no big deal." I wish that was true. In the past 4 hours I have gotten two voicemails from her and two texts, each progressively worse calling me out for not contacting her back and "resorting" to Twitter as she put it. I wanted to cut this girl out of my life, start clean, never think about her again, work on becoming a REAL DJ, and now she is back.

So some advice- make sure your game is ROCK SOLID when dealing with social networking. Don't let ANY detail slip your mind.

Northern Lights

Don Juan
Reaction score
I completely agree with you and in my opinion all these 'social-networking' sites cause nothing more than high school level drama. I also can't stand cellphones either :/

Call me an old school guy in a modern world

Jazzman19

Don Juan
Reaction score
In Montgomery County, not too far from Philadelphia. I can give you the real city in a PM if you want "warrior".

thewarrior

Don Juan
Reaction score
Jazzman19 said:
In Montgomery County, not too far from Philadelphia. I can give you the real city in a PM if you want "warrior".
Yeah, PM me. Maybe we can hang out sometime, sarge some chicks.

Captain

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I think that anything that happens on a social networking site (myspace, facebook, twitter should be completely ignored. We get a lot of threads here asking things like "she added me, does that mean she likes me?"

Same goes for instant messaging and texting. It's OK sometimes, but not as a way to set up a date or get a woman turned on. Yes, it's possible, but a proper phone call is much better.

NewAndImproved

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
Like it or not, technology is here to stay. I for one am thankful for that. It's always come intuitively for me, maybe not for you. You should spend time figuring out these things on your own. I would NEVER let anyone set up a social networking profile for me. I will NEVER use twitter either. That site is just preposterous. Facebook status update once every few days is one thing...There are some people on twitter who make updates for every minutia in their life: "I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich now..." "taking a dump..." etc... In other words, twitter does seem like the kind of site that would have a stupid function like you described. It's unfortunate what happened, but don't blame technology.

theunflushables

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Your game shouldn't be rock solid only while using social networking sites. Every detail of your day to day life should be done to perfection.

amoka

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Man... are you an Amish? You just need to follow technology else you will be WAYYYY behind learning things the hard way.

Jazzman19

Don Juan
Reaction score
Amoka- hahaha, nah man I am not Amish. I just never used the things. I didn't have AIM, MSN, or Facebook until I went to college 4 years ago. My friends never used them, we would all call each other. Same with the girls in my life, none of them ever talked about social networking stuff. I didn't even have texts enabled on my phone until a year ago, no one I knew used them. A computer for me basically consisted of sending e-mails, and maybe playing a video game one of my friends liked. I am still learning about Forums and all this stuff, I really am that far behind the time. I don't know, we just never spent a lot of time inside when I hit my teenage/young adult years, so tech just wasn't a part of my every day life.

Pimp-sicle

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
This has much more to do with that chick being psychoooooooooo..... then the gaps in online networking! Keep ur game tight and u could fuvk this *****, and then NEXT her sorry @ss.....

PIMP

ready123

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Back in high school, like 14 years ago, I was all into AOL and chatrooms. and I wasn't even a tech geek or anything, it was just a cool way to kill time

I don't really care much about social networking sites beyond seeing what my friends are up to, but technology is generally prevalent because it's useful. Cell phones didn't exist when I started driving in high school - if my car broke down I'd have to haul ass to the nearest pay phone. The internet is one of the best places to get info from now, back then I'd have to take a trip to the library and reserve books. If I need to hit up friends at work, or I'm trying to get ahold of friends when they're in a club and I'm outside, texting is the only way. And flirting through texting is actually fun when logistics keep you from being able to call - I've gotten women turned on from texting, it's fun

As for twitter, I joined so I could find the Korean Taco Truck

PSYCHO

Banned
Reaction score
You sound like the unibomber to me - Are you with al-queda?

DonJuan11

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
1) "Her: why the hell are you still trying to get in touch with me ? I just updated my twitter. we are not friends-your damn fault-get over it!!!!!!!"
Jazzman: "I hate technology!"

2) Her: "Jazzman, I'm so glad you got in touch with my updating your twitter page. I missed you and think it was big mistake we broke up but was too scared to phone you. Can you come over and my place so we could talk about it, maybe a watch movie?
Jazzman: "I love technology!"

You can't blame technology for not getting a positive response from her.

ketostix

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah the problem here isn't modern technology so much as modern women.

goodfoot

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
DonJuan11 said:
1) "Her: why the hell are you still trying to get in touch with me ? I just updated my twitter. we are not friends-your damn fault-get over it!!!!!!!"
Jazzman: "I hate technology!"

2) Her: "Jazzman, I'm so glad you got in touch with my updating your twitter page. I missed you and think it was big mistake we broke up but was too scared to phone you. Can you come over and my place so we could talk about it, maybe a watch movie?
Jazzman: "I love technology!"

You can't blame technology for not getting a positive response from her.
Too funny!