Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

A Little Guidance for a Helpless Dude?

Captain AFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
Forgive the cliche username. It's all I could think of that would be appropriate at the time, even though so many of us have "AFC" in our username.

I feel like re-capping my story, and then asking for a little advice. Maybe it'll all be redundant. If so, then lock the thread and let it disappear. The story won't surprise anyone, of course. I felt like I was practically reading my life story over and over again in this particular section, but I still feel the need to vent on my own particular situation.

So I dated this girl for five years (we started young) and I found myself to be every bit the AFC that this site defines it as. I treated women with respect, I always thought of their feelings first, I always gushed about my emotions from time to time, I was devoted, I spent all my time with this person, etc. etc.

The years go by and we're off to college, doing the long distance thing. We stay loyal to one another, and I talk to her on the phone all the time. The first year or so are normal fare. You don't really get to pick up on the baggage a person has inside of them when you're young, and it can take time for them to break out of their shell. Either way, sooner or later I'm finding out this girl battles severe depression, occasionally expressing a desire to harm herself. Eventually, the calls about that stopped, and I would just receive the periodic message about going to the hospital because of too many sleeping pills. On top of this, we talked on the phone all the time, and I would beg occasionally for time to myself. In essence, I was this girls emotional "tampon" (I guess that's the popular lingo here) before she even had a serious boyfriend in her life.

So the years go by, and I put up with it, until eventually my own self esteem goes through the gutter. Even being together was a downer. I'd do everything I could to cheer her up. Even shake her physically and make silly noises to get her out of her rut. But the constant woe is me never stopped. But I loved the girl and didn't quit on her. Not once. She wasn't a looker by any means, but I liked her enough. At some point, at my mother's prodding (go figure, she acts a like a man, I swear), I finally ask to take a bit of break from the relationship. Not an emotional break where we date other folks. But just to stay off the phone for a month. I was in college and my grades were suffering and I wasn't getting any direction. Meanwhile, her grades were up, she was an honor's student, and collecting a whole army of friends. I was falling off a cliff.

So we take the break, but she hardly lets up, so much so that when we finally get back together at the end of the month, she is totally unapologetic, and boasts frequently of how her friends urge her to dump me. She calls the whole thing stupid, but I don't really pick up on the fact that she's still in lala land about the whole event, and we move on. Another two years go by. We get engaged, blah blah. The phone call frequency drops, but I suppose that was the point where I as an individual had completely died. I started to have the typical male problems, but I always understood that those were MY problems, and never unrealistically expected my mate to suddenly shed tons of weight and become a wildcat in bed. I had resigned myself to the life of the forgiving nice guy.

I finally graduate from school, but my graduation day is marred with memories of her crying to me about how my relatives called her fat. The rest of that event is just an absent blur. I get accepted to grad school and decide that I'll go to her school, since it's good and we can finally live together. I always wanted to do this anyway, so I show up. Needless to say, this last year was the year of reckoning. Within the span of six months of living together, she bulldozes right over me. I become aloof and detached, playing games on my computer all the time. I don't even notice what's happening to me, and hardly notice that she's completely changing her attitude about me. I hardly sleep with her (my concept of beauty isn't all physical... you don't have to be a supermodel, but if you're not AND you're pounding on me mentally day after day... well, you get the point).

She arranges for things for us to do, but never with prior consultation. We're living with her friends, so it's always just a, "Well, me and my friends are doing this. Come along." Sometimes I would, but eventually even that tired me out, so I would opt out politely. I figured I'd be allowed to just rest a bit by myself. I never had even a second thought about marriage or leaving the girl. But I suppose not going out all the time is a no-no to women. Go figure. By the time spring time comes around, she's already arranged her entire spring break. I learn about what's going to happen the day of, and even then we're going two separate directions for a bit. I decide, at my father's suggestion, to go to work this time around since i had no money.

By the time that ends, I'm on the "We have to talk list" (I bailed on a "planned" concert-going event primarly because I was pissed off). I'm told off because of this, but accept responsibility and say that I was wrong (ignoring, of course, any issues I might have had at the time). To make the rest of the story short, you can predict the rest. After apologizing and basically saying I'm wrong, I suppose she felt gratified enough and the proceeded to drop the "we're through bomb." Within four hours, that is "renegged" and then four hours after, another reneg. Even trying to keep space to myself and the silent treatment is an insult, and I'm told promptly that I deserve what's happening to me. I, being Captain AFC, take this all to heart. You can imagine how the rest of the months went. "My friends hate you, but you can attend my grad party and watch me have a real good time." Fortunately, I wasn't that stupid towards the end, but boy did I think I sucked hardcore.

Fast foward. It hasn't even been a year. I'm wondering how the heck to proceed here. I've spent months lamenting after this one person that essentially hates my guts, and blames all life's problems on me (never mind that I was her solution years ago). I've read the threads around here, but I have to admit I don't even have the drive to do those things. I keep feeling guilty about the whole thing. Sometimes, I even read a thread about interest levels, and the works, and all I keep thinking is that I failed to maintain the interest level in my own relationship. Too bad I invested my entire heart into that one. Kind of hard to brush that one off and say, "Welp, learning mistake. I'll do better next time!"

I went to a movie recently with another woman. It was great, but it wasn't really a date, as I both A) didn't initiate the idea, B) didn't make any moves or progress C) Had plenty of kino, like the whole day, but I essentially never acted on or progressed it D) reading these boards, it seems the serious prohibition of ONEitis is becoming one of my issues.

I'm beginning to think I should just abandon women, finish grad school (it's a cesspool of female deityhood, by the way, you can practically feel it... or at least the people I was always exposed to think this way), get the job, and work on just reconstructing my own sanity. The only examples and images of men I've ever gotten are either the old man who turned out to be an ******* (hence, he is alone) and the AFC like myself who grows old, pitiful looking, and doesn't have the balls to admit that his wife drove him nuts (because in his mind, women are never wrong, they never act inappropriately, and oh yes, catering to men is evil). Or, he's just alone too, because gosh darnit, there must have been something wrong with him. Not caring or supportive enough, I guess... My father and mother have a great relationship, but my father is a reserved man that loves his work, and so we don't get as personal as I do with my mother. But something about getting advice from my mother is disconcerting all the time. Heck, it even disconcerts her.

So, am I lost cause here, or what?

Apollo_Jordan

Don Juan
Reaction score
wow no punctuation or grammatical errors in such a huge essay...dude you finally realize what's going on and are ready to break out! The girl is dissing you by bringing up that stuff about how her friends don't like you...she's a bad influence in that you suffer while she thrives...you going along with her and her friends? You are second priority....as for her having depression...maybe it's real and maybe it's fake but you should just eject cause it's attention ***** type thing to do...it's seems a bit controlling to....if you drop her now you can finish school get that bad ass job you deserve, upgrade to better women and start to actually live.
You might say, "Well its hard to break up with her after such a large investment in time...and energy".....my answer is that you have to look at what is good for you. Sometimes you have to be selfish... With the relationship like this...you guys being together is good for only her not you. Breaking it off is not hurting her but rather helping you.

shyguy32

Don Juan
Reaction score
Focus on yourself and school, but I wouldn't say do away with women all together. If you do that then you will totally be out of practice when you decide to get back in the game. Chat people up and ask them to be study buddies or whatever. But definately start doing something to get your self confidence and self esteem back up. Don't let this one chick blow your whole world apart..be strong man.

kandyass

Don Juan
Reaction score
Never too late to start.

Yeah, my recent ex has depression...but no way did she ever treat me that badly! :eek:

From what you say it sounds like you were 150% supportive but that she abused that support to the max.

But I think the point is, and I'm just starting to realise this myself so excuse me if this sounds harsh, but your being AFC is the real issue here, if you know what I mean?

Look, I'm in a very similar situation (except I did the NEXTing) and I've decided after a year or more of giving, giving, giving its going to be ME, ME, ME for the next little while...focusing on my career, getting in shape, expanding social circle, and pretty soon starting the DJ Bootcamp (even though I'm in my early thirties :rolleyes: ).

Sounds like you recognise the problems...now its time to act!

:woo:

Desdinova

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I know exactly where you're coming from. Carrying the weight of two people can really tire you out. It also doesn't help when the other person is telling you how rotten you are, even though you've devoted your life to carrying her burden.

I didn't see anything indicating you've left this woman. If you haven't, then you should know that your relationship with her is beyond repair. There is nothing you can do to bring it up to a good level.

You're also not entirely to blame for not keeping her IL up in the relationship. You have no clue how women work, nor how to behave in a relationship. It sounds as if you picked the wrong woman to settle down with. Never try to develope a happy, long-lasting relationship with a woman who has serious emotional baggage. She's only going to cause you frustration, and drive you into depression.

You came to the right place, but you've got a lot of work to do on yourself. First, and foremost, you need to pull yourself out of the low self-esteem that this woman has driven you into. You are a fantastic guy who should make a woman lucky to even spend time with you!

Focus on some self improvement. Try doing some changes to your physical appearance. Pick up the hobbies that you left behind for this woman. Those hobbies will never leave you behind!

Begin focussing on yourself. You are the most important person in your life, and you deserve only the best!

You might want to do some reading in the DJ bible, and in your current situation, I'd suggest reading articles written by Pook. They'll help you energize your spirits.

Good luck on your new path!

Rollo Tomassi

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
"Self-love is not so great a sin as self-neglect."

So lets start with the bad news first. You have a lot of making up to do and a lot of education to compensate for. The biggest obstacle most AFCs face is self- doubt when it comes to re-thinking their ego investment into their AFC mentality. I say this because between the ages of 24 and 28 I was you.

Between 21 and 24 I was living the life of an up-and-coming rock star in Hollywood. I was in a very popular band in the midst of the L.A. rock scene while it was at it's decadent peak. My goal was nothing greater than to tap as much ass as humanly possible and be a memeber of a national act. Back then I could sarge naturally and had my pick of women on any given night. I went to a community college because my AFC father allowed me to live with him rent free so long as I was in school. It was here that I started down the dark path of AFCdom. This is where I met 'her'.

You see, for all of my PUA prowess in a band and the ease with which I could pull tail, I was still an AFC and I still subscribed to the fallacy of the ONE. It was this soulmate myth that made me put her on the pedestal that I had been on for the 4 years prior to meeting her. She was a hot piece of ass that I had to work to have sex with. I broke every rule I ever had to bed this girl. I put up with a level of jealousy and contempt that few guys have ever experienced - and I mean personality disorder level, clinical psychosis. She was insane, both in bed and out of bed.

In the years that followed I dropped every dream I had of being in a band, every reconsidered ambition of getting an education I could use. For 4.5 years I put up with a constant debasement for my past exploits, constant harassment of masculinity and all the while hoping that some day she'd fix herself in time. It literally got to the point where I would avert my eyes if an attractive woman walked by, was in a photograph or came up on TV. I didn't have any friends and all the ones I did have before her had given up on me. My family gave up on me as well, because I had no other reality than her. There's so much more I could go into detail about regarding this period of my life and that relationship, but suffice it to say that when that situation finally came to an end (after a LDR attempt) I died. That Rollo Tomassi, thankfully, ceased to exist.

I can remember one pivotal moment when I had discovered (by her intention) that she had been 'cheating' on me with the same guy for more than a year while she was at college (earning a degree that I should've been concentrating on). I had driven 400 miles and sold off 2 prized guitars to have the money to spend 4 days with her during her graduation. With the exception of her berating me (still) it was as if I was invisible the whole time. I met and shook the hand of the guy who I would later discover she had been fvcking for the last 18 months. When I discovered this and she finally confessed to it I was enraged at first, I put a fist through the bathroom wall of the dorm she was in. Yet inspite of this supreme betrayal, I still wanted her to be my ONE. I wanted to "work it out."

In the end I discovered that it wasn't her that was the keeper to my jail cell, but myself. I could've unlocked those bars anytime I wanted to and walked away, but I had been so defeated for so long and so effectively that I was psychologically unable to do so. You, my friend are ow in a similar situation and it is time for your old AFC self to die. It's time to reinvent your personality and identity of your own choosing and not in any effort to identify with a woman.

The good news is that you are free now. DO NOT GO BACK. That man (if you can call him that) is dead. Be glad and make sure he doesn't come back. All of the PUA skills in the world will not help you kill the AFC in you.

Cut off all ties with this girl. Do not talk to her, do not 'bump into' her, don't even "wonder how she's doing." She is finally gone and you are back to being yourself again. Focus on you. For these past years your AFC self has made decisions (such as choosing a post-grad school) that benefitted her -NO MORE! You are the PRIZE now and you are the Prince and a Prince makes his own decisions. Women will only ever be a compliment to your life, NEVER the focus of it. It is the AFC that builds his life around the object of his ONEitis and expects her to appreciate his sacrficie of his own identity to better accomodate hers. NO MORE!

Now go read the DJ Bible, post for post and word for word.

Sinistar

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
You'll just break yourself trying to fix a woman that's broken.

I won't be able to top the others posts. However another example may help you see what you now are incapable of seeing.

About 4 months ago I tried to end something I *knew* wasn't right for countless months before. I posted to the board and they unanimously voiced 'NEXT'. I tried and my DJ spirit wasn't strong enough to make the goodbye final. Things very subtly resumed for a few months, at least all the negative sh!t had stopped. And then blamo, out of nowhere the most wicked goodbye/dump I'll ever allow to myself to experience. Anyway, I'm sure she was over it in about 3 days. Took me the better part of 2 months.

You need to walk away right now, like right after you read this post! Keep your chin up. Don't say a single word EVER AGAIN, remain calm and in control like a true DJ(man). If it hurts, never let her or anyone she knows, know it cuz you've already boosted her ego plenty enough. Resist all contact.Turn to your good friends and family, they'll be the ones cheering you up, reassuring you and helping you rebuild that self-esteem. I bet they were all sayin' RUN for longer than you can remember!

I think in a way, anytime we get ourselves into these *rescuing* situations (which you clearly have) it is inevitable that we'll get trashed in the end. The truth is that she may have enjoyed the attention BUT she probably never respected you for doing it. Thus your feelings right now. You still have time to save yourself.

You'll just break yourself trying to fix a woman that's broken.

This is their responsibility and believe me they will respect you the most if you allow them to solve their own problems.

Think of it like you have an addiction. If you didn't, you would have walked a long time ago. Practically, you have very little keeping you together (ie. marriage, kids, big house, shared business, etc.) If it were just your beliefs (ie this doesn't seem right, etc) you would have walked away a years ago. So you're probably at some level addicted to this person. When that happens you will use rationalizations (mine was that we had been friends first). Reread your own post and look for all the rationalizations. You will see them when think of your relationship being to some degree an addiction.

You might feel guilty when you walk away. That guilt is really easy....you're simply being angry at yourself for not doing the right thing much earlier (ie walking away and living your own life). Reframe it that way each time you feel guilty, in record time the guilt will go away.

Another thing that really worked for me. Try writing yourself a letter as if it is from the *DJ* inside you (you know he's in there). Stay in that frame and let that person write anything they want. Then re-read your letter. You'll be surprised at how much you've given up, how much you've tried to rationalize, etc.

Finally, you mentioned low self esteem. Just get it back. Remember the good sh!t you did then let it go. Stop thinkin about her (not easy at first). Let go of every expectation you had of her. Focus on your grad school, career and all the other stuff you gave up for her. Every week you get farther away you'll feel better and know you did the right thing.

And unlike many of us, you will have just walked away! You can believe that will do far more for your self-esteem than learning 2 weeks from now that she was bangin 3 others guys the entire time. Take care of yourself brother!

Captain AFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. It's much appreciated.

A clarification. I realize I confused folks with the current status of the relationship. I didn't walk away from it. In fact, as luck would have it, I suppose, she left me afterward. Well, actually, she came back (again) saying she was sorry, and I refused. That was nearly a year ago.

Unfortunately, much of the advice about leaving cannot be used as I did the exact opposite of what you suggested. I looked totally hurt for months, probably boosted her ego beyond the stratosphere. I continued to live with her friends because... well, I had no choice (although, in retrospect, her friends were quite nice and never mentioned a word about whatever was going on with my life -- I had a good time being "just roommates" in that situation).

So I'm afraid that for most of those months away, I did the "worrying about her" thing a lot. At one point, a few months down the road, I even went up to her new place to visit her (she had also made plans for her grad school career and living well before hand). The trip to her new place wasn't a long one, and I spent the day, just talking to her. I didn't touch her, never made a move. Just talked and went to dinner. In the process, I listened to subtle jabs at me, such as a girl shouldn't ever have to lose weight for someone (since I apparently demanded such things occur), and that "John Doe" had stayed over last night. At one point, I think she was even about to complain about him and how much he annoyed her, and I almost played into it.

In short, I've been spending months now "keeeping up" with what she's been doing, and sad to say, I know way too much. I'm pretty sure I wasn't being cheated on during the relationship, but as soon as I was out, I was replaced with flings and alcohol pretty quickly. I... played video games.

But anyway, I'll take what's been said to heart. Starting today (yes, sad, I know), I'll stop "wondering what she's doing." This is probably my biggest sin at the moment, as I literally have been constantly wondering up until now. It's... quite taxing.

Thanks again.

Captain AFC

Don Juan
Reaction score
Well, having read the first part (the law of equal value), I can see clearly where I failed. And in fact, that very fact was brought up in our relationship, and I confessed that I was not, more or less, interested anymore.

In the beginning, I know I provided the sex, the social value, practically the whole nine. And while I will never say that I'm a pro in the sack, I wasn't a failure either, and I had an idea of what I was doing, and what worked best.

But towards the end of it, I was so completely drained and worn that I simply got disinterested. In short, to reveal my shallowness... I didn't want to sleep with the girl. I was sick and tired of being tromped on, having to always dote on the person, and then sit back and watch as she became more or less attractive, according to whatever she was up to. I know the lack of sex severely affected her, as she cried to me about it. And truth be told, this is the primary thing that has kept me hanging on the guilt rope now for months. I've felt awful.

Having read that article, nothing in there surprises me so much as it was informative to have confirmations. But... here's a question.

What should I have done? Maybe I misunderstood the article or the point of reading it. I was at a point in our relationship where I was so tired that I had no desire to keep fighting for all of those social, sexual, and monetary contributions. Perhaps I was the one that self-consciously sabotaged the whole thing, but that, quite honestly, just makes me feel worse. :)