A Life Lesson

brian123

Senior Don Juan
Reaction score
I've been meaning to write this article for a while now.

Last evening, after a 4 month illness my grandmother died. Yes, I know that an article about this will drive many people away right off the bat. Yes, I know that many people will poke fun at me for writing an article about my grandmother. It happens. However, she was a great woman. Even in her mid 80's, you could still talk to her about life's problems. I've learned 2 things in the past couple of months.

1) Life really is short. There will come a time where most of us will struggle to do even the simplest things in life such as swallow your own food, or be able to even call someone when you need to go to the bathroom. During this time, I don't see anyone saying "I really wish I had won that franchise season in Madden." Live your life to the fullest and you will have no regrets. Most of the mishy mashy things discussed in this forum are just that.

2) Worry about the people in life who matter to you. I recently became a college Professor (at 29) who got to have the enire summer off. I spent many nights over the summer watching baseball games with my grandmother, having her banana splits and enjoying some of the happiest moments of my life. I had a serious gf, and I still put my grandmother 1st.

I still have this gf, but I will never be able to go back and have another Sundae with grandma. If things work out with this girl, I will have the rest of my life to spend with her. If they don't, then these nights with gma were even more valuable. Right now I am sad, but don't have many regrets.

I hope this rant helps some of you to live better lives. I know this lesson will help me.

Take care all

imarockstar

Don Juan
Reaction score
Good for you man. I'm realizing lately that its not so much about what you do but who you spend your time with. I mean yeah its great to have things going on and achievements, but they mean nothing if you have no one to share them with. Spending time with people you care about and having meaningful encounters are what will make you happy when you are old and looking back. You can die happy if you live your life to the fullest, I believe. You will need to learn to accept regrets, because if you did your best and made a mistake and then learned from it, then it will not be a regret after all.

If you have no one in your life, don't sell yourself or other short just yet. Sometimes you need to be the initiator. Sometimes you need to be the bigger person and contact the other. Or be the one to apologize and mend a broken friendship/relationship. If you are completely alone, find something to do that is social. I just started jiu-jietsu and the guys there are already like family.

Don't live a meaningless life. Be involved in other peoples lives.

Sorry I kinda jacked your thread but this is what I thought about after reading your post. And sorry for your loss bro, but it seems like this woman had a positive impact on your life and you should be grateful for the time you had with her, as I can tell you already are.