Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

a death in her family: did I handle it in an AFC way?

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
This girl and I are both connected through facebook and have known each other for a few months. She has always shown strong signs of interest in me, but I never made a move because I had a girlfriend. I'm now single and she knows this.

A couple of weeks ago, we both agreed we should meet for drinks, and she gave me her number. It was understood that I would call her to set the date. Aside from her hectic schedule, her grand-father (with whom she's quite close), became gravelly ill and was essentially on his death bed. In the midst of this, she sent me a facebook message explaining the situation and apologizing for not calling me back. She was basically spending time with him and her family at the hospital. She told me she would call me soon.

Here's where I think I made mistakes.

Mistake #1 (see underlined). My reply to her was something along the lines of "sorry to hear about your grand-father, take all the time you need to deal with these difficult times, there's no rush, etc." This was at least a week ago. She hasn't called since but, through her facebook, I found out her grand-father died a couple of days ago.

Mistake #2.
Yesterday, she sent an e-mail to the people who showed her support (including me), announcing her grand-father had passed away and thanking us all for everything. I thought that if I didn't reply, it would seem a bit cold of me, and if I did reply it might seem needy. I ended up replying today with one sentence expressing my condolences and telling her to take care.

She hasn't called yet. Her grand-father's funeral was at least 2 days ago. She has been active on facebook today, so she obviously has a bit of free time.

Do you think I gave her the impression I'm too available by telling her to take all the time she needs?
I'm just trying to learn from my mistakes here. I judge a girl by her actions, not her words. And so far, I've only heard and seen words from her, although she does seem to have an understandable excuse for not calling.

p.s.: I should disclose that I waited 9 days after getting her number before attempting to call her. I'm starting to wonder if she interpreted this as a lack of interest on my part.

harpomarx

Don Juan
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. The girl I'm seeing right now got into a car accident after we'd been out a couple of times, and I called her right away and then followed up again a couple of days later. I don't think it's AFC to show concern when it's actually something serious, as opposed to showing too much concern in just going out with her or having her call you back or whatever. As for telling her to take all the time she needs, I don't think that makes you too available. If anything, the opposite - it shows you're not needy about seeing her...

But I'd say waiting 9 days to call her was probably a mistake. She might think that cause you're single now and she's shown interest before that you were just getting her number for the hell of it, and not actually that interested in her...

usscrum

Don Juan
Reaction score
Wow.

Dude, you are WAYYYYYYYYYYY overanalyzing this. Her grandpa died. Just send your condolences and let her get over it.

DohnShaft

Don Juan
Reaction score
Are you kidding me her grandpa died a few days ago, and you knew they were close. I'm pretty sure her first priority isn't going out for drinks with you, and plus you don't want to be the one who ends up being her "emotional tampon". Chill out slick from what I have read you played it pretty cool...no mistakes. She should call, patience baby. Stop the facebook stalking, and don't read to much into it.

decentguy

Don Juan
Reaction score
You guys are right. I'll give it until the end of this week. If she hasn't called by then, it means she's probably not interested.

harpomarx

Don Juan
Reaction score
Call her at the end of the week if she hasn't by then. Check in on her, and it'll have been long enough since the fact at that point that you can bring up seeing her without seeming insensitive.