Hello Friend,

If this is your first visit to SoSuave, I would advise you to START HERE.

It will be the most efficient use of your time.

And you will learn everything you need to know to become a huge success with women.

Thank you for visiting and have a great day!

7 Benefits of the Front Squat

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Yes, so far so good I love it.

Tomorrow will be my first week and each workout pumps me up good as I go up in weight I can really feel a difference in this program than the old one I was using although good but I needed a change and I believe this is the ticket to great gains.

How long is the training cycle on this program 90 days or less?

LoneSilver

stronglifts said:
Tnx Lonesilver.

How's the program doing? Already started?

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
LoneSilver said:
Yes, so far so good I love it.

Tomorrow will be my first week and each workout pumps me up good as I go up in weight I can really feel a difference in this program than the old one I was using although good but I needed a change and I believe this is the ticket to great gains.

How long is the training cycle on this program 90 days or less?

LoneSilver
90 days or more, depending on your current stats & how much dedication you put into it.

I'm interested in your progress. Would be helpful if you could keep an excell sheet of your workouts: weight used, sets & reps done & your personal comments for that session.

Good luck.

LoneSilver

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Sounds good also keeping record of each workout.

Thanks

LoneSilver

stronglifts said:
90 days or more, depending on your current stats & how much dedication you put into it.

I'm interested in your progress. Would be helpful if you could keep an excell sheet of your workouts: weight used, sets & reps done & your personal comments for that session.

Good luck.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I hate back squats, can't seem to get the bar wedged in my back on that muscle. Am I missing out if I never do them again? What are the benefits of doing them powerlifting style(elbows up) over bodybuilding style(crossed arms)?

Warboss Alex

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
I hate back squats, can't seem to get the bar wedged in my back on that muscle. Am I missing out if I never do them again? What are the benefits of doing them powerlifting style(elbows up) over bodybuilding style(crossed arms)?
back squats allow more weight to be used, therefore you will get more growth from them. I would persevere with them and rotate with front squats.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
back squat >
*put the bar lower
*narrow your grip
*elbows back
*forearm/wrist straight
*chest forward
*shoulders back & down
*look forward

Front Squat:
elbows up = clean grip, olympic style

clean grip:
-easier to keep your elbows up
-carry over to cleans & power cleans
-carry over to overhead press

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts, why did you give up back squats?

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
back squat > pull your elbows FORWARD not BAWCKWARDS

shoulders have nothing to do with a squat ??? TRAPS should be CONTRACTED (shrug and hold)

not sure what a "CLEAN GRIP " is..maybe you mean a "HOOK GRIP"

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
Drum&Bass said:
back squat > pull your elbows FORWARD not BAWCKWARDS
Putting elbows forward during the back squat will put the weight on your wrists & elbows. Do this long enough & you'll end up with tendinitis in your elbow/wrist

Drum&Bass said:
shoulders ??? TRAPS should be CONTRACTED (shrug and hold)
Shoulders back & down, chest forward => allows for a tigh upper back, and thus a more stable position.

I don't see how (& why) you would shrug your traps when you squat.

not sure what a "CLEAN GRIP " is..maybe you mean a "HOOK GRIP"

The Clean Grip is used on the Front Squat, Power Clean, Clean, ...

This is Rezazadeh using a Clean Grip on the front Squat.

Here Dave Drapper using Cross Arm Grip on the Front Squat.

And here the Hook Grip which used for the Power Clean.

Watch out with giving technique oriented advice to people when you're not 100% sure of what you say. Bad technique is one of the main causes of injuries in athletes.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
read it, first sentance :)
Like I wrote: I'll Back Squat tomorrow. But it's been a year since I've done them as stated in the article.

I stopped doing them because I'm too flexible in my back. I can hyperextend my back more than the average person.

While this is an advantage on the Bench Press (decreased rom), it's not very healthy on Deadlifts or Squats. Hypextending the back is as dangerous as bending the back.

Something I had to work on, tomorrow I'm doing them for the first time again, I'm kinda curious of the weight I'll end with :D

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
I have one of the good powerlifters at my gym helping me with me back squat, but it won't stay on my back. It is frustrating the **** out of me and I'm not getting a proper leg workout.

stronglifts

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
wolf116 said:
I have one of the good powerlifters at my gym helping me with me back squat, but it won't stay on my back. It is frustrating the **** out of me and I'm not getting a proper leg workout.
What do you mean with: "it doesn't stay on your back"?

* Bar moves?
* Bar gets off your back?

I'd advise to try the tips I wrote above:
* shoulders back & down
* chest forward
* put the bar lower
* elbows back
* use a smaller grip
* keep your upper back tight

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
Like I wrote: I'll Back Squat tomorrow. But it's been a year since I've done them as stated in the article.

I stopped doing them because I'm too flexible in my back. I can hyperextend my back more than the average person.

While this is an advantage on the Bench Press (decreased rom), it's not very healthy on Deadlifts or Squats. Hypextending the back is as dangerous as bending the back.

Something I had to work on, tomorrow I'm doing them for the first time again, I'm kinda curious of the weight I'll end with :D

I have the exact same hyperextending problem. I'm too flexible from MMA. I might just go back to my hack squats, I could lift way more them.

wolf116

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
stronglifts said:
What do you mean with: "it doesn't stay on your back"?

* Bar moves?
* Bar gets off your back?

I'd advise to try the tips I wrote above:
* shoulders back & down
* chest forward
* put the bar lower
* elbows back
* use a smaller grip
* keep your upper back tight
After about 3reps the bar starts to slide down my back. My P.L friend said the same things. Just can't get it yet

Drum&Bass

Master Don Juan
Reaction score
you mis-understood me. Your elbows are not positioned in front of you, they are positioned in back of you, but you pull forward with your elbows.

I don't see how (& why) you would shrug your traps when you squat.
you don't do a shoulder shrug exercise while squatting stupid! you contract your traps and hold the contraction through out squatting.

you do this because it supports the bar better and incorporates your core much more efficiently.

Watch out with giving technique oriented advice to people when you're not 100% sure of what you say. Bad technique is one of the main causes of injuries in athletes.
and how many athletes have you trained ??? and how do you know what is solid technique and what isn't ??

oh thats right, you bought a book called "starting strength" so you think your a pro now.

p.s. NEVER HEARD OF A CLEAN GRIP - NEVER HEARD OF A CROSS ARM GRIP